Mirabal Sisters Museum...How To Get There From Santiago.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
What is the best way to get to Salcedo from Santiago by way of bus, either
Metro or Caribe. Have been wanting to visit the Mirabal museum for quite some time and need directions. Thank You in advance.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
No buses besides local one going that way. You go to Moca and then to Salcedo. It is a small place and the motoconchistas will take you there.

HB

rover

Aug 19, 2007
What exactly do they have in the museum ?? When i last went to camp David in Santiago November 09 I went for a hike as I always do up the road that goes to Puerto Plata and came across a very nice shrine/altar/monument they erected somewhat recently at the spot that the Mirabal sisters were pushed off the road there.

I did not know the story before then. It was done very nice with their faces cut into the stone.

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
There is an earlier thread I started on this subject also. As HB said, you need to use the guaguas from downtown Santiago.

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
What exactly do they have in the museum ?? When i last went to camp David in Santiago November 09 I went for a hike as I always do up the road that goes to Puerto Plata and came across a very nice shrine/altar/monument they erected somewhat recently at the spot that the Mirabal sisters were pushed off the road there.

I did not know the story before then. It was done very nice with their faces cut into the stone.

There are supposed to be quite a few artifacts from the 3 sisters and their family in their 2nd home. Just a few miles north in Ojo de Aqua is their first and original home that is a must to see. I have been living here to long not to have gone.

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004

We visited the museum last year, and what was shown was things they used, clothes, Minerva's university thesis, photos, etc. The museum has a donation fee of 20 DOP (price of Apr 2009) and they have guides who speak English, as my spousal unit doesn't speak Spanish yet.

Hope it helps.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
What is the best way to get to Salcedo from Santiago by way of bus, either
Metro or Caribe. Have been wanting to visit the Mirabal museum for quite some time and need directions. Thank You in advance.

Parque los Chachases, Calle Restauracion/ Av. Sabana Larga = Parada de San francisco de Macoris, they will droop you off at the entry door of the Museum...

JJ

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
"came across a very nice shrine/altar/monument they erected somewhat recently at the spot that the Mirabal sisters were pushed off the road there.

There is actually another monument on the road that I know of. As far as I know, they were killed in one place and then pushed off the mountain at another. At the place where they were killed are these stylized metal butterfly sculptures. I saw the monuments in a photo of filming of the new movie about the Sisters.

n589182334_1290585_3067.jpg

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
There is actually another monument on the road that I know of. As far as I know, they were killed in one place and then pushed off the mountain at another. At the place where they were killed are these stylized metal butterfly sculptures. I saw the monuments in a photo of filming of the new movie about the Sisters.

n589182334_1290585_3067.jpg

From what I have read about their murder, they were killed separately away from each other, so each one wouldn't know what was happening to the other.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I'm pretty certain they have dedicated guaguas from the park at la Sabana Larga and the 16 de Agosto as I've taken my neice there on numerous occaisions. It's RD50.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
I'm pretty certain they have dedicated guaguas from the park at la Sabana Larga and the 16 de Agosto as I've taken my neice there on numerous occaisions. It's RD50.
You made a mistake, read my post. Calle Restauracion / Sabana Larga = Parque De Los Chachaces, Parada de San Francisco De Macoris....
Calle 16 de Agosto is in "Los Pepines" no paradas de guaguas is there.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
You made a mistake, read my post. Calle Restauracion / Sabana Larga = Parque De Los Chachaces, Parada de San Francisco De Macoris....
Calle 16 de Agosto is in "Los Pepines" no paradas de guaguas is there.

You're correct it is la Restauracion, not 16 de Agosto.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
My spouse went there many times as a child, before it was a museum, as Don Mirabal was her patron. We went last fall and she says the house has been preserved with all the same pictures, dishes...etc. The gardens are absolutely beautiful. Nice farmland to drive through on the way also. Road is in good condition.

Reactions: Bronxboy

mrchris74

Mar 14, 2006
You're correct it is la Restauracion, not 16 de Agosto.

If you mean the parada by the chicken joint on Restauracion the guaguas to SFM don't go by way of Moca/Salcedo but rather down to LaVega and back up the 19 through Cenovi. I'd either rent a car for a day or hire a taxi for a few hours. Its on your right as you leave Salcedo toward SFM. There are tall manicured hedges and a small sign. Don't blink or you'll miss it.

I went in November. I believe the cost was around 30 pesos for Dominicans, double for gringos. The guides only speak Spanish, but if you've ever been to any kind of museum in the US you can guess pretty much what they're saying: "Mate's bed... Minerva's books... etc". The tour lasts about an hour unless you arrive late on Saturday as I did, in which case it takes about 25 minutes. Highlights include locks of their hair that Dede saved after they were murdered. I had read the Alvarez book but didn't understand how wealthy they were until I went. They had many conveniences my parents didnt have and most Dominicans still lack. It made the story more interesting for me.

Dede was there on the porch watching CNN. She was very gracious and answered questions for some in my group. I thought it was odd there was no reference to the book or movie, and the small gift/refreshment stand didn't even offer Dede's book, which I found in Centro Leon a couple weeks later. But I guess the point was to leave everything just as it was as a kind of memorial for them. Overall its an interesting, if somber diversion.

Hope this helps.

Chris

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
I passed through there let's say thousands times in my life and never interested to visit this place.

JJ

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Chris, the museum is in Salcedo, not SFM.

Also, for those interested the updated cost of the guagua is 70 pesos and the bus does not stop in Moca.

mrchris74

Mar 14, 2006
Chris, the museum is in Salcedo, not SFM.

Also, for those interested the updated cost of the guagua is 70 pesos and the bus does not stop in Moca.

Yes, its in Salcedo. We must be talking about different guagua routes because the ones I took to SFM do not go through Moca or Salcedo, and cost 90 pesos except in the afternoon, when they are 100 (presumably because they put the A/C on). Sorry for the confusion, only meant to point out that the SFM guaguas wont get you to the museum.

Chris

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Yes, its in Salcedo. We must be talking about different guagua routes because the ones I took to SFM do not go through Moca or Salcedo, and cost 90 pesos except in the afternoon, when they are 100 (presumably because they put the A/C on). Sorry for the confusion, only meant to point out that the SFM guaguas wont get you to the museum.

Chris

I've never stated that the SFM guaguas are the ones to take. At any rate we're on the same sheet of music now.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Shame on you. You should be more interested in the historical sites of your country.

Problem is ... when you live in Santiago and decide to head out to the museum after all the cups of Brugal and obligated stops on the way to see primo fulano, when you get to Salcedo you forget why you came. :)