Questions about the padr?n electoral for Dominicans who live abroad

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
Moderator: if you think this thread should be somewhere else, feel free to move it. Thanks.

I have a few questions regarding registering to vote when living abroad.

From what I can gather, my closest voting places are Zurich or Amsterdam. I'm registered to vote at my original voting center from where I lived in SD. Since 2003 I live in Europe.

(1) How can I register to vote in Europe online? I looked at jce.do but I couldn't find how to do it. I can call, but I can't go to DR at the moment.

(2) My yellow c?dula was valid until 2005 and in Apr 2009 I started the process to get the new one. The girl told me to pick up the new one in August (last year) but I left in late Apr and my family has told me that they haven't started giving them out yet (so I haven't gone down to pick it up). However, my driver's license and passport are valid. Can I still vote if I manage to register?

I called the DR consulate in Zurich but they don't answer the phone, and I just sent them an e-mail.

Thanks in advance.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
If you look here

770 Suiza

You can check if you are in Padron on line. Not sure what you do after that though, although everything is on the JCE site, it is just a bit difficult to navigate as there is so much information on it!!

matilda

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Your 2005 c?dula is still valid for voting purposes.

You should register to vote at the nearest consulate from your place of residence. However, I believe that registration for the upcoming elections is no longer possible. Please check with the Consulate.

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
Thank you very much to both of you. Indeed, registration for the padr?n closes 150 days before the elections, so I'll have to wait for the next ones in 2012.