URGENT - Criminal Record Check needed

jjwilliamson85

May 9, 2008
I lived in the Dominican Republic from Jan 2008 - Feb 2009, and have since returned home to England. I have just got a job which requires a 5 year history check, including a criminal record check from the Dominican Republic. I have contacted both the Dominican Embassy in the UK, and the UK Consulate in Santo Domingo, and both have told me that they can not help directly, and gave me a list of lawyers. I contacted the criminal lawyer on the list (Bufete Dr. Pina Acevedo, on Av. Independencia), and they have told me that without any Dominican ID, i cannot get the document. I have tried to contact the police directly through the email address on their website (jefatura@policianacional.gov.do), but this address doesn't seem to work.

Does anybody know how I can get a Dominican Criminal Record check, or a contact email or phone number of anyone who can help? As my Spanish isn't amazing, I prefer email addresses because it gives me more time to check that I 100% understand, and I can show any correspondence to my future employers to show that I have been trying to get the check.

Thanks.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
In the time period you were here, did you ever get D.R. Identification?
Cedulla and residence card,or cedulla only?

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
here in the country you go to a government department and get a piece of paper which says your record is clean. i haven't dealt with that in 7+ years, but when i did it, it was pretty easy and seemed pretty lame and inaccurate.

from outside the country it might be a problem. getting a lawyer to help you would definitely be the best route; maybe you need a different lawyer.

otherwise convince the people in the UK that you will provide 10 years back in the UK, but nothing from your time in the DR since the systems don't support it.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I lived in the Dominican Republic from Jan 2008 - Feb 2009, and have since returned home to England. I have just got a job which requires a 5 year history check, including a criminal record check from the Dominican Republic. I have contacted both the Dominican Embassy in the UK, and the UK Consulate in Santo Domingo, and both have told me that they can not help directly, and gave me a list of lawyers. I contacted the criminal lawyer on the list (Bufete Dr. Pina Acevedo, on Av. Independencia), and they have told me that without any Dominican ID, i cannot get the document. I have tried to contact the police directly through the email address on their website (jefatura@policianacional.gov.do), but this address doesn't seem to work.

Does anybody know how I can get a Dominican Criminal Record check, or a contact email or phone number of anyone who can help? As my Spanish isn't amazing, I prefer email addresses because it gives me more time to check that I 100% understand, and I can show any correspondence to my future employers to show that I have been trying to get the check.

Thanks.

Email a copy of your passport (Picture & Data) to a friend in the DR. Have him go to the local tax office to get the appropriate formulario and cellos. Then off to the Palacio de Justicia. If in POP 2nd floor. He leaves the solicitud (Filled out with your data) with the fiscal's secretary. As a rule you get it next day. (UNLESS THINGS HAVE CHANGED IN THE PAST YEAR OR SO)

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Email a copy of your passport (Picture & Data) to a friend in the DR. Have him go to the local tax office to get the appropriate formulario and cellos. Then off to the Palacio de Justicia. If in POP 2nd floor. He leaves the solicitud (Filled out with your data) with the fiscal's secretary. As a rule you get it next day. (UNLESS THINGS HAVE CHANGED IN THE PAST YEAR OR SO)

yeah good approach. its the "carta de buena conducta" and this way it should be fairly easy to get, along with being very cheap.

jjwilliamson85

May 9, 2008
Thanks very much for all these quick responses. I have asked a Dominican friend of mine to try to get the Carta on my behalf. I've since been told La Procuraduria on Gomez by the American Embassy is the place to go. I'll try to find out what my friend does to get me the document and i'll post on here how she got it.

mikeyone

Apr 16, 2003
Just wondering

Hi, may I enquire as to the type of job you are applying for.. Seems to me if you just said you were on extended vacation, would that not suffice.Seems a lot of trouble to me.. M.

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
If you want to do this officially you have to go in person, there is an office in POP as Eddy says. You have to present your identification. They will accept a copy of your passport, but it may be better if you accompany it with a letter in Spanish explaining why you need it. That way your friend may be able to obtain it for you.
I had to do these criminal record checks for all my guards, but you do have to pay for it. I do not know how much it will cost for you. Good luck

murilka

Nov 6, 2008
If you want to do this officially you have to go in person, there is an office in POP as Eddy says. You have to present your identification. They will accept a copy of your passport, but it may be better if you accompany it with a letter in Spanish explaining why you need it. That way your friend may be able to obtain it for you.
I had to do these criminal record checks for all my guards, but you do have to pay for it. I do not know how much it will cost for you. Good luck

How much it has costed for your guards per criminal record?

jjwilliamson85

May 9, 2008
I now have this document. I managed to get someone to get it on my behalf. All they needed was a photocopy of my passport. It took about a week to get. Not 100% sure of the price, but i think it was 350-500 pesos - i haven't heard the exact cost yet. The place is called La Procuraduria and it's on Gomez near the American Embassy.

The job i'm applying for is airline cabin crew - so the security checks are pretty tough.