Name changing, normal?

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I am beginning to get quite paranoid about certain things within the family of my partner. Apart from cousins who she has very little to do with calling out of the blue (I presume) every so often (approx monthly) and she has very little to say during these calls. When they do call they call via my phone and a name that isn?t her actual birth name. I have known this for some time after meeting the family a long time ago and wasa little thrown when they called her by this other name. Yes they all use the same name, but it isn?t as if it is a nikname, it is a completely irrelevent longer name than her actual name. Is this normal. I have quizzed them on this and they say it is normal, but I don?t see then referring to anyone else in the family by an alternative name.

Does anyone else have this issue?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Half of my husband's family are called by a name that is different than their legal birth name. Some of them use their middle name, that seems rather common in his family. Some are the normal Spanish nicknames [Cheo for Jose, for example] My husband's birth name is Leonardo, but everyone in DR calls him by his absolutely unrelated made-up nickname [since he was about 2]. Everyone. No exceptions. [He uses Leo in the US, except for me and all my family and our friends, who only use the nickname] When we were married about 20 years one of my sister-in-laws saw an envelope addressed to Mr. & Mrs. Leonardo........ and she looked at me with a very puzzled look and asked who that was????? Some of his own brothers didn't know his 'real' name well into middle age.

It may mean nothing, don't worry about it. Take a look at her cedula to find her legal name.

AE

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
My name is Marcos and everybody in my family (both, mother and father side) calls me by Enmanuel (middle name).

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
I can see that most women I know quite well (family) all go by a nickname which has nothing to do with their legal name. It seems to be the norm in the circles I hang out in.

""If the evil-witches dont know my real name, they cant put a spell on me""

Hurry hurry, lets put half of our clothes on the wrong way. :paranoid:

If im wrong about this, then i have been dressed like i lunatic for a long time. :cheeky:

Now where did i put my coffepot?, im going crazy this morning- seems to me some sadistic little trolls hva stolen my precious coffepot during the night...

Last edited:
Reactions: Black Dog

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
My girlfriend's legal name is ivelisse (spelling?) but everyone calls her by her middle name, Liliana. Most people don't even know her real name is Ivelisse.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Thankyou for the help in this curious little moment of doubt. Yes her cedula is fine with the name used between us, it looks like this is something quite normal, even if strange in giving unrelated niknames to one another.
Appreciated!!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
My sister in law's name is Maria but she goes by Hilda.

My nephew's name is Pedro Jose and he goes by Nene.

Our pastor's name is Juan but he goes by Cha Cha.

My name is Abney but I go by Chi (Chip).

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
My brother's name is Isaisa but we call him Pito.
My sister's name is Maritza but we call her Chipo.
My other brother's name is Anthony but he is also known as Huevon.

lol

Get it!!!!

el forastero

Bronze
Oct 25, 2009
I think that I would only be worried if I knew my girlfriend as Margarita and they were asking for Roberto - and she (he) knew the call was for her(him).:bunny::bunny::bunny:

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
My father-in-law named three of his boys Franciscio. They had to go by their middle name or apodo (nickname). My wife is Marisol but called la chorena or choe. Jose is Chepe. Idalia is la Rubia. Conflesoria is Ceneda. Too many to share.

POPNYChic

Bronze
Jul 27, 2009
lol it happens alot for whatever reason. one of my cousins legal name is just alba. no middle name (weird for a dominican, i know). but we all call her kathy. no idea why LOL

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Here some nicknames I have encountered during my stays in Latin America

Chombo/Chomba: used in Panama as Negro/Negra, their kids being called Chombito/Chombita
Porroto: a kid who's head was shaped like an habichuela (Porroto in Panama)
Gordo: eventhough the guy is skinny but was a fat baby
Mas Pato: the guy was so bow legged that his walk resembled the walk of a duck
Pichita: because he had the smallest .... of the boys, he's almost 40 now!
Fulu: because he was the lighter one in the family
Mono: in Colombia because he was blond
Indio eventhough he is black but he has indian features
Mello/Mella: because being a twin

What about the names of the fathers and son/grandson such as Paco, his son Paquito and grandson Paquitin. Dimas, Dimita and Dimitin.

Mar 1, 2009
My dad's name is Fernando and they call him Papiron, no one knows' who Fernando is but you say Papiron and everyone nods.
My aunt is Maria Dolores and they call her Tete.
My uncle (RIP) was Manuel and they called him Manito.

This has been a tradition in Dominican Republic since times inmemorial.

Trujillo was called Chapita and one of his rival's for power Jose Dolores Aflonseca was called chuchu.
Ulises Heareaux was called Lili....

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
I have a friend named Manolo and he makes people call him by the name of "Jhobanny", yes, mispelled like that, I once tried to correct him saying that the name should be written "Geovanni" and he won't take it. He says is "Jhobanny" and that's it. LOL!! We call him Jova. We call another one "La Maquina". And another one who has a twin brother "El Mello" or just simply "Mello", even by his wife LOL.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I have an employee that has six legal names he uses interchangeably...

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
Ok, I am glad I am not the only one. My Ukrainian name is Olena/Olenka, friends and classmates call me - Elena/Lena, parents - Alyona/Alyonka, Americans call me - Lina. I get confused sometimes what my actual name is. :paranoid: