IKEA DR vs US

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
Wondering if the things carried in SD are equal to those we see in the US. Or are they geared more to a Carribean climate? Prices? Is our Ikea catalog similar to the items in SD?

s4dlite

Apr 11, 2010
i haven't seen an ikea catalog in the states in a while and by the looks of it the gear here is similar to what you have in the states. then again, i came from tampa; climate is pretty much as close to here as it gets besides a few places further south. prices are pretty comparable, imo.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
their biggest mistake is they are not selling their famous swedish meatballs and sauce in their foodstore (only in the restaurant)...

btw... the only ikea i ever found where the salmon is cheaper than the meatballs.... lol

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
their biggest mistake is they are not selling their famous swedish meatballs and sauce in their foodstore (only in the restaurant)...

btw... the only ikea i ever found where the salmon is cheaper than the meatballs.... lol

They sell them in the food store, I have brought a bag RD$300.
They also sell the cream sauce.
Meatballs are usually in the freezer cabinet close to the checkout.

Maybe they ran out?

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Great news, so I will have to stop by Ikea on my next trip to SD.

Oh, and I will tear up my complaint letter to their headoffice in Sweden...;)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I thought the products were inferior to the US and certainly more expensive.
The selection seemed smaller too

Generally, I was quite disappointed (especially after the SD traffic!)
There were 5 of us and we all felt the same way

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

This is what I would expect someone to say after visiting an IKEA anywhere.

To each his own. I have two IKEAs within twenty minutes of my house in the USA and the one in Santo Domingo sure is a spitting image. The only difference I noticed was the pricing is higher in SD, which is to be expected.

IKEA is IKEA, you either like it or you don't. If nothing else it was a pleasure to see so many youths employed !!!!!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com

Compared to "some" other IKEA stores around the world, it may not be up to the same level.

But...

Compared to what we had here prior to their arrival, it's a MASSIVE leap in the right direction. They are killing some of the better known furniture stores right now. Cuesta must be really happy! Plus they have a range of products that I'm sure is wider than the other 4-5 of the larger furniture and house hold stores combined.

Plus they bring a level of service and professionalism that has never been seen in this country before. This will help to make those that want to compete, lift their game.

Sometimes we have to be thankful for what we have :)

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The SD Ikea is a virtual clone of the one close to my former home in Tampa. Same stuff. Almost the same prices.

It'll appeal to the growing middle class. Their success will be tied to them.

And Ikea is an excellent addition to the DR consumer landscape. Any business that expands choice in products is most welcome. As (the Original) Robert posted, it'll make other furniture outlets HAVE to compete...and that helps all of us.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
At this time, how is IKEA in Santo Domingo doing? The one I lived closest to that was in Emeryville, CA always had a full parking lot.

I do appreciate the competition aspect that IKEA brings to the DR, just not a personal fan of their style for most of their merchandise. My wife and I scanned their catalog and she didn't see anything she liked. Neither of us did. I won't be able to compare the one in Santo Domingo to the one I lived near because I never went into it. The only one I went to was in Taipei City ,Taiwan and it was truly nothing special.

They had record opening sales from the chatter I heard.

I have been to IKEA 5-6 times since it opened, mostly 7-9pm at night.
At that time, still plenty of people walking around and the checkouts ringing up sales. Day time they are obviously a lot busier.

The details make the difference and IKEA is years ahead of any other retailer here. From their customer service, product guarantee's, the way they move people around the store, to the overall level of construction and functionality of their building.

Americana next door is working on a huge expansion program, I have no doubt that is due to their neighbors moving in.

Bottom line, they are very good for consumers in this country and they have taken retailing to a whole new level. This is what the market needs here in order to develop and grow. It needed to be lead, and IKEA are the leaders.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
I can only compare with the Ikea's in Europe and must say they have done their job in SD like you would expect from Ikea. With proffesionalism, efficiency and in the spirit of their company.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Yes, IKEA is a welcome addition, forcing other stores to become more competitive. On service, it will be pretty much impossible for DR run businesses to catch up. On pricing, it shouldnt be difficult at all, IKEA here is very overpriced in many areas. For the price I can buy a desk in Conforama, i would have to pay more than double at IKEA for a far simpler version, and must assemble myself. The other furniture stores "that care" will now have to realize the 400% markup days are gone!
Will IKEA continue these record numbers after the hype is gone? difficult to say.When you consider that only 10% of the population here can afford these prices, you would think it will NOT...Somehow i guess its logical that the DR stores should be more expensive than USA as the USA competiton and ease of importing huge quantities, But really its always hard to understand when a 3rd world country basic costs of living are 50% more than the 1st world. So much for cutting expenses by living in Latin America-for that you will need to move to Panama, Equador, Mexico or Argentina.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Yes, IKEA is a welcome addition, forcing other stores to become more competitive. On service, it will be pretty much impossible for DR run businesses to catch up. On pricing, it shouldnt be difficult at all, IKEA here is very overpriced in many areas. For the price I can buy a desk in Conforama, i would have to pay more than double at IKEA for a far simpler version, and must assemble myself. The other furniture stores "that care" will now have to realize the 400% markup days are gone!
Will IKEA continue these record numbers after the hype is gone? difficult to say.When you consider that only 10% of the population here can afford these prices, you would think it will NOT...Somehow i guess its logical that the DR stores should be more expensive than USA as the USA competiton and ease of importing huge quantities, But really its always hard to understand when a 3rd world country basic costs of living are 50% more than the 1st world. So much for cutting expenses by living in Latin America-for that you will need to move to Panama, Equador, Mexico or Argentina.
The overall cost of living in the DR can still be modest when compared to the first world. Even in Santo Domingo when compared to US and other foreign cities of it's size and importance.

My observation regarding the cost of items in the DR is simple:
  • If it is domestic and labor intensive the cost is low.
  • If it is material intensive, the cost is higher.
  • If the materials are imported, the cost is very high.
  • If it is imported AND labor intensive the cost is expensive.

And add duties on top of imported goods...

The cost depends on the item. If your preference is a life built around imported items...foods, consumer goods, household and home building items, etc...it might very well cost more to live in the DR than many places.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
The pricing in IKEA is not as cheap as the USA, that's for sure. But, compared to the local market, it kills them with many items. You just need to know what to buy at IKEA.

I purchased two tables last week and they worked out at least a 3rd of the price I would have paid in any other store here. Actually, I couldn't have brought them here in other store :)

These are the type that you pick and choose the top size and leg style.

2 x 39x24x1.5" white lacquered tops with decent steel legs.
Total Price: RD$2,400 (US$65)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I would like to thank the above posters for what is really a dispassionate review of what to expect from IKEA. I say one of their print ads and it seemed that some of their items were well priced for sale in the DR. What will make them winners is that the items are not readibly available at Nacional or Pola or anyplace else I can think of...

So, I shall put it on my list of {places to go in Santo Domingo, when I go to Santo Domingo}

HB

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Two things, and conveniently color coded to understand what responds to what:

The actual percentage is much higher than 10%, in fact around 25% to 30% of the population falls in the upper middle/upper class brackets; and in those segments price sensitivity is practically non-existent. However, even taking your highly underestimated 10%, that would still amount to 1.2 million people; which is a decent number to not make someone think a store like IKEA would actually fail in the DR. And to think that the actual market is almost twice more than you estimated, and growing. Add to that the middle-middle class, which despite having to save and keep an eye on prices, would still be able to buy a few things there; and this segment is also growing.

That's because you need to get rid of the 'first world = best, third world = worst' mentality. In fact, people here should really stop using those terms, they are archaic. Price has little to do with whether a place is perceived as being the best or the worst, its all about production, delivery and market size. The DR is on an island and most things imported are done by sea, which is the most expensive form of transportation. All those other countries you mentioned are on the continent, are connected with the rest of the continent via roads, and can and do import much of what they need via trucks, which is much cheaper than ships. It doesn't take much to understand why living an imported products lifestyle is much more expensive in the DR than in a continent country.

People on DR1 (and I don't know if this is characteristic of the expat community in general or only of the most introverted types, who probably are the most likely to participate on DR1) need to stop thinking with feelings and erroneous judgments on the Dominican market. Also, need to stop the 1st world vs. 3rd world mentality, it hardly applies fully to most countries today, more so a country in transition like in the DR. Maintaining that mode of thinking will simply keep you confused.

Last edited:

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008

The actual percentage is much higher than 10%, in fact around 25% to 30% of the population falls in the upper middle/upper class brackets; and in those segments price sensitivity is practically non-existent. However, even taking your highly underestimated 10%, that would still amount to 1.2 million people; which is a decent number to not make someone think a store like IKEA would actually fail in the DR. And to think that the actual market is almost twice more than you estimated, and growing. Add to that the middle-middle class, which despite having to save and keep an eye on prices, would still be able to buy a few things there; and this segment is also growing.

That's because you need to get rid of the 'first world = best, third world = worst' mentality. In fact, people here should really stop using those terms, they are archaic. Price has little to do with whether a place is perceived as being the best or the worst, its all about production, delivery and market size. The DR is on an island and most things imported are done by sea, which is the most expensive form of transportation. All those other countries you mentioned are on the continent, are connected with the rest of the continent via roads, and can and do import much of what they need via trucks, which is much cheaper than ships. It doesn't take much to understand why living an imported products lifestyle is much more expensive in the DR than in a continent country.

People on DR1 (and I don't know if this is characteristic of the expat community in general or only of the most introverted types, who probably are the most likely to participate on DR1) need to stop thinking with feelings and erroneous judgments on the Dominican market. Also, need to stop the 1st world vs. 3rd world mentality, it hardly applies fully to most countries today, more so a country in transition like in the DR. Maintaining that mode of thinking will simply keep you confused.

I stand horribly corrected if this is a true stat of middle, upper class. I have read that 60% of population is poverty affected, i guess the remaining can afford IKEA. I always thought the population of the country was approcahing 10 million and SD at 3million which i believe is the IKEA market. The GDP per capita hovers around 10,000 annual.
Anyway, i dont want to get into a silly stats war here as i think we disagree.
I guess my point is the prices are very inflated irregardless of the shipping costs, not just at IKEA but at many other furniture stores, yet i gladly see some stores are caring to compete more aggresively than others.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Nals

The actual percentage is much higher than 10%, in fact around 25% to 30% of the population falls in the upper middle/upper class brackets;
That's because you need to get rid of the 'first world = best, third world = worst' mentality. In fact, people here should really stop using those terms, they are archaic.

I was just waiting for NALs to get offended. Of course there are no differences between 1st world countries and DR. Organsization, purchase power, corruption, etc etc. ehhhhh :ermm: DR has the climate, weather and nature - so beautiful. Be proud of that! and don?t even try to pretend that it is a country that "works"..., but then these 1st world countries,,, Hey we would end up in prison if we were driving away from the beach after some beers in IKEAs Sweden.

And no way 25-30 % are in the high/middle class...and while we r discussing this more people are being made in the barrios. Borned into poverty.

I will for sure be visiting IKEA very soon. And hope it gets the chance to compete on the same terms, the DR furniture businesses must hate it.