Boca Chica Beach

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
Any updates about the water at BC would be appreciated. There seem to be bad reports about sewerge etc. My family loves a day there. Is it that bad?

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
I just got back from there. My whole family thought that there were problems with the water. Assoon as I got in the water I started to feel itchy.....as did my daughters. I also so others coming out of the water scratching. I went to Juan Dolio ...about 15 minutes away and had no problems. There are some big Boca Chica bashers on this board and they will tell you everything is bad about Boca Chica....I'm not one of those. Something just isn't right. My brother in law said Sea Mites.....I don't know.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
My husband thinks they might be aquaviva [sp??] - teeny tiny jellyfish that sometimes plague the beaches. Also happened to him at Embassy Beach.

AE

Sep 22, 2009
The Boca Chica Ayuntamiento performs regular solid waste analyses, combined with HPLC and Gas Chromatogrophy-Mass Spectrometry testing for heavy metals such as methylated mercury compounds, free gas formations, salt concentration as well as trace elemental diagnostics for various trafficked substances.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Boca Chica has had water quality problems in the lagoon for years, ever since they dredged it to get around the 60M rule.

You will find many posts on this forum regarding the water quality.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
what is the 60m rule

Cannot build within 60M of the high tide line.

Years ago they pushed a huge amount of sand up on the beach using large earth movers. This created a much wider beach at the Don Juan end of the beach.

The downside of the dredging was that it affected the natural in and out flow of the waters in the lagoon, so now it doesn't move much and stays stagnent.

Many small underground streams feed the lagoon area. Over the years, these have become contaminated with the increase in construction, poor waste and sewage disposal etc.

Short term gain, long term pain...

Reactions: Bronxboy

bill p

Aug 18, 2003
so that means they can now build more on the beach, because the high tide line is further away. doesnt make much since, i didnt think they wanted people to build any closer than they allready have. i have been to bc for 20 years an have seen the dredging, and what it looked like before. but never new the 60m rule was the reason.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
That allowed them to build on that end of the beach. Also put in the boat access and dock for the hotel.