Schools in the dr

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
So anyway- not able to ccut the cord completely, I am returning to the DR in three weeks. THis time I have already set the tone by calling my friends. Sure we will go shopping and I will as always buy the food at Ole supermarket, and it 's fsair because I eat at the house morning , noon and night as well. So it works both ways. But the other stuff has to end. I now need advice on how to get the school thing set up for the kids.I have taken the kids to school ( colegio) myseslf and met the teacher.. but from what I have seen there seems to be only the one teacher and she takes three sets of kids, from 8- 10 the youngest, 11-1 the 6-8 year olds and then Elisa's age group ( 11-14) 2 pm till 4pm. It is a tiny place. and all the kids from this little area go there. There is a bigger schooll in town , and it looks moire like a regular school we would see here, but they seem to think it is bad and don;t want to send the kids there. I don;t know where to start with all this. I would love to offer the teacher extra cash to treach the kids a bit more on weekends because I can;t see two hours a day being good for anything. I am open to any ideas.. I just can;t bear the thought oif the eldest going and getting pregnant at 13 as so many others do......I just want to see them do well...

mrp

Jul 7, 2008
New School Highly Recommended By Me

For people looking for an EXCELLENT bilingual school that is affordable, I recommend Brilliant Minds School, which is on Autopista San Isidro near the turn off for San Vicente De Paul in Santo Domingo East. My daughter is in 5th grade and goes there. Why do I recommend it, even though it is only 2 years old?

1. They give classes from 7:45-2:00 Mon-Fri. My daughter gets 2-3 hours of math 3 times a week. The teached speaks better than most for English. The director speaks perfect English, and shows genuine concern for the kids in her school.

2. This school is receiving a grant from KIPP, the knowledge is power program in NY. They have a computer lab, brand new, science lab, full size swimming pool, music program, and homework lab after school. This is the only school for under RD$ 5,000.0 pesos per month that DOESN'T CHARGE for after school programs, where as most schools charge double, they also have competetive after school sports and a band and cheerleading, volleyball, and basketball, and they take the kids to other schools by bus (no extra charge) to compete. Please note they do charge for the homework classes after school and RD$ 100.00 pesos if your child eats their lunch, which is healthy and well balanced.

3. I was in the same situation, watching my daughter's education until this year go down the tubes, but I have been extremely impressed at her turn around in this school, and while it isn't the states as far as educational standards, it is the only step in the right direction that I could afford.

Best of luck to you, and I hope this helps.;)

Reactions: Chirimoya

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Thanks for the information, mrp. That school may not be near enough to La Caleta, but I'm copying your post to the Private Schools thread for general information.