Help! Looking for writing position.

voleibolchica

Mar 31, 2009
Hi all,

I posted awhile back, but unfortunately did not get the help that I needed. I'm currently living in Santo Domingo, where I work at a bilingual school. My husband wants to stay at the school, but since I'm not a career teacher, I'd really love to find something in my field, which is writing.

I feel like I've exhausted the google searching and the only sliver of hope is stopping by Dominican Today and giving them my resume (they don't list an e-mail address on the website). Other than that, it feels hopeless. It's not that I'm not qualified or eager, it's just that I don't see any jobs. Period.

ANY help, advice, contacts, suggestions, etc. would be truly (truly) appreciated. Before teaching, I worked at an internationally published magazine and really miss writing. I would be forever indebted to whoever is able to steer me in the right direction.

Oh, and I don't speak Spanish fluently (yet). :cheeky:

Many thanks!

Mar 2, 2008
As any writer should know, economy of words is the key to effective communication.

One thread on this subject is enough. Two threads only dilutes your message.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It's OK, I deleted the duplicate thread.

I can't think of much in the way of paid writing jobs in the DR for someone who doesn't speak good Spanish, but how about freelance online writing-related work like editing, proofing, copywriting? There are sites where you can register and offer your services to clients anywhere in the world, specifying your technical/thematic areas of expertise. Once your Spanish is better, you'll have a better chance of getting this sort of job in the DR.

And no matter what, just keep writing, even if it's not for money.

Good luck!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I feel like I've exhausted the google searching and the only sliver of hope is stopping by Dominican Today and giving them my resume (they don't list an e-mail address on the website).

They do have a contact form on their website so you could use this, but eyeball to eyeball is always best here in the DR.

There is a poster on DR1 who writes for IPS. She is recovering from an illness at present, but when she returns to DR1 she might well see this & either post a response or drop you a PM.

With work of the nature you seek, rather than go into a complete 'job' you might need to collect little bits here & there on a freelance basis & build up that way. Networking will be of crucial importance.

And I agree with Chiri, keep writing. At the risk of being misinterpreted :cheeky: the only way to improve is to keep at it.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
what about freelancing and doing much needed professional translation work for smaller companies here (websites, publicity, even menu's)

mxcutie

Jan 12, 2010
Website

There is a website where people post things that they are looking for freelance writers and editors for. You basically bid on the job and can generally do it anywhere that you have access to a computer. PM me if you want the info.