shopping in punta cana

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
Best places to shop for groceries please. Are there any super mercados in the punta cana area?

Reactions: mike l

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
There have been some threads on this recently, but here goes:

Punta Cana Village has delicana - a minimarket/deli - lots of gourmet stuff, some staples, generally quite expensive

Cap Cana also has a minimarket. Haven't been but I imagine it is also on the pricey side.

B?varo has small supermarkets - La Marqueta, Caribe and assorted minimarkets. Better selection but still overpriced. Caribe near Friusa (Avenida Estados Unidos) is the closest thing we have to a full-sized supermarket. It's the cleanest of the lot but somehow I always end up feeling it wasn't worth the 20-minute drive. La Marqueta (carretera Ver?n-B?varo) is smaller and grubbier.

Ver?n also has several small supermarkets - leave a lot to be desired but prices and selection are more reasonable. The best is probably Manzanillo.

There are two unconfirmed rumours swirling around at the moment - that a Super Pola supermarket is going to open in Centro San Juan a large mall currently under construction near the Coco Loco crossing, and that a Cadena is going to be built on the lot originally intended for Jumbo, near Ilumel in Punta Cana.

Hope this helps.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Following on from that post, it's now more or less official that Supermercado Pola will be opening a branch in the almost-completed Centro San Juan shopping centre near the Coco Loco crossing.

A sign went up yesterday with the logos of some of the businesses that will be setting up shop there, including Caribbean Cinemas, Corripio, Levi's and other well-known chains. This is great news for local consumers and not such good news for the owners of all the area's inconsistently stocked, overpriced, glorified colmados.

Anyone have any more information? Estimated opening dates?

carib

Jul 16, 2002
supermercado ???

What ever happened to Jumbo?

Well, just drive an hour and a half each way to Jumbo La Romana (on very dangerous roads). The stores around Punta Cana are well....... I will not say here. Where is GPC ? and Jumbo and the new upscale mall????? etc.???
carib

Reactions: mike l

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
What ever happened to Jumbo?
Jumbo is not happening, probably since the sign blew down in one of the 2008 storms and scared them off. :D

Well, just drive an hour and a half each way to Jumbo La Romana (on very dangerous roads).
If the new Pola fulfils expectations that won't be necessary.

Some people are saying there's a Supermercado La Cadena planned for the former Jumbo site. The rumour originated when La Cadena appeared as one of the sponsors of the Punta Cana 10k run.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Rumor also has it that Nacional might be opening up in the old Bolera... Looks like PC is on its way to be a bit more "civilized"!

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
yes Kate,
i heard the same about the use of the ole Bolera space.
Chiri,
don't hope to much about the commercial center at Coco Loco,
looks like it will be just an other tourist tarpp with average brands for heavily overprized rates, like a 2nd Palma Shopping Center.
we will find out soon.
Mike

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
yes Kate,
i heard the same about the use of the ole Bolera space.
Chiri,
don't hope to much about the commercial center at Coco Loco,
looks like it will be just an other tourist tarpp with average brands for heavily overprized rates, like a 2nd Palma Shopping Center.
we will find out soon.
Mike

I saw the signs up too and Pola was on there. I doubt they would promote it if it weren't going to happen... Either way, my fingers are crossed!!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Rumor also has it that Nacional might be opening up in the old Bolera... Looks like PC is on its way to be a bit more "civilized"!

More than a rumour, apparently.:) Opening date set for 1 Aug although that is probably an optimistic estimate.

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Totally looking forward to a "real" grocery market... but I suspect the produce will be as crappy as anywhere else.... what I wouldn't give for a decent tomato in this country.... or how about a real live lemon!

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
wow,
im surprised that you do not find them down here.
tomatoes, lemons, in general all veggies are cheap and available in perfect conditions.
but of course such should not be purchased at the supermarkets.
buy them fresh from the delivery trucks on the streets.
where do you live in PC?
cheers
Mike

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Call Alexis tel 829 986 7773 who sells fruit and veg from a truck to find out when he is in your area, or try the Punta Cana Foundation's Saturday morning organic market in Punta Cana Village.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
cool info Chiri,
i would not know the cellphone number of our on veggie guy, ha ha, but at least he stops here at the doorstep severl times per week of course, for veggies and fuits and the same for the butcher's truck.
to get top quality fruits/veggies/meats here is no problem and cheap.
Mike

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
Hi - Please advise - where or what is the old bolera space you are referring to where the Nacional is supposed to open? Is this in Punta Cana Village?

PuntaCanalove

Apr 11, 2009
Mike I live in the resort and am always struggling to get fruit when I am there. I usually end up buying from the store or on the street in Veron. But I would love to get the truck deliver it to me as we consume quite a bit of fruit. Would you have his number?
Out of curiosity what would mangos cost? 20 pesos is what I pay but I wonder if its because Im a gringo?

Chirimoya. Does Alexis speak english?
Thanks

Last edited:

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
how about a real live lemon!

What's the deal with real lemons or rather the lack of them in this country anyway?. Am talking about lemons (yellow) not limes (green).

Have heard that they are forbidden for import due to bugs/disease ???.
Thanks for any input or even better a supplier/source of this forbidden fruit.
lt

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
What is wrong with limes? They are abundant and delicious. Who needs lemons when you have limes - and they can be substituted! "When in Rome ----do like----"

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
What is wrong with limes? They are abundant and delicious. Who needs lemons when you have limes - and they can be substituted! "When in Rome ----do like----"

ha ha ha
right, i personally prefer the local green limes much over the yellow lemon thingy, i even drink that fresh pressed juice without any sugar, just great and good to mix with a good rum for a drink, too.
but each has it's own taste.
i would not know where to get the yellow big lemons, but i never searched for them, so i may have missed them, too, when walking a shop.
basically i always do switch my eating and drinking preparations behavior to the things which are usually available at the place where i am or live, much cheaper, much fresher, much tastier than any important rare stuff from home, and much easier to get of course.
cheers
Mike