Cambista Killed

james

Jan 14, 2002
For those than knew Omar, a very nice man and I beleive a pastor in his church, his body is at in the Blas Blas Funeral home in Batey and I beleive there will be a funeral possesion along the highway around 1 pm today. Condolences to all his family.
RIP Omar.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I translated for everyone's convenience from the Puerto Plata Digital.

The victim was identified as Omar Rodriguez, who had an exchange house in the area of Los Charamicos, close to the Catholic Church in Sosua.
The robbers, some five in all, as could be established, acted quickly on his fate since he was shot point blank at forex trader. Rodriguez, who was rescued by some people who heard the shots, including the owner of a laundry, but died by the time they boarded a vehicle to move him to a private clinic.
Rodriguez was robbed by the attackers of an undetermined sum of money, which has not been established by family and the National Police in this community, which immediately launched investigations into this unfortunate case.
Rodriguez, a descendant of a prestigious family of this county was an active member of the Christian Church Community Bible Church of Sosua Abajo.
He was shot by the robbers at least three times, according to witnesses who observed the activities of the criminals, who fled in a jeep Daihatsu Terios, white, no license plate.
The exchange house raided is located near the entrance to the populated area of Los Charamicos in front of a bakery, where more than 15 years Rodriguez was devoted to exchange and sale of organic coffee.
On the sidewalk in front of the exchange house you could see a large pool of blood and even Rodriguez, while hurt went outside to shout: "I have been robbed, but collapsed on the pavement and died seconds later.
Witnesses said he received the first shot in his office and two at close range at the time that the criminals were preparing to flee to an unknown destination with the loot.
They even managed to push a motoconcho to the curve of Sosua Abajo from Puerto Plata Airport to Cabarete and it was determined that the jeep in which the assailants fled was occupied by four or five people.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mack

Mack

Jan 10, 2009
Thanks for the translation waytogo.
Let's hope they catch the animals.
RIP Omar.
Mack.

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Omar was a great guy. I hope the best for his brother Samuel and his family. He was right across from Soluz's office and we often did business with him.

Reactions: Lucille

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Sprayed in the Back

........ and who put those little holes in that getaway car?
Parked quite orderly, BTW.
To see the police at work made my day.
Very professional indeed. :bunny:

donP

james

Jan 14, 2002
As I understand it the police were chasing a different car over near Gurabo, Sgo. not this one found with the bullet holes. It was discovered parked there by residents nearby who then called a TV station who had photographers on the scene before the police arrived some time later.
Notice the bullet holes were unlikley fired from any distance than a few feet as there are two sets on each side of the door mounted spare tire & in a perfect curve on the right side about 1" from the spare tire and not one touched the tire like someone did not want to have it damaged or burst. The car must have been stationary to do that accurate a grouping. (not counting the shotgun pellets in the window) There are a few puzzling things starting to appear in the whole story.
The police claimed the car they chased did not have a license plate as did witnesses at the scene in Sosua BUT the car that was found with the bullet holes and very little damage really does have a plate.. a very banged up plate on an almost new car.....maybe its not the crime scene car at all? strange indeed...
Police seem to not have a clue...and NOT professional at all.

Why did the police take approx 20 minutes to get to the scene yesterday in Sosua and told callers they did not have a vehicle available to get there. Maybe thats why the getaway car left Charamicos at a slow normal speed like a tourist exploring (several witnesses to this) and why a moto concho was able to follow it for about a mile going to the east on the main highway.

According to a couple of motoconchos shortly before the assault 4 or 5 men were in the new Chinese restauraunt at the stop light above Charamicos and about 350 feet from where the assault subsequently took place and ordered some food there that they subsequently threw on the floor and refuse to pay for saying it was no good (This is unsubstantiated) Some were seen later entering the crime scene car before the assault. (just some interesting tid- bits)

And where were they today when the 22 year man was stabbed to death on Pedro Clisante in daytime (also taken to the new clinic) Apparently the 2 suspects forced a taxi driver at knife point to take them to Sabaneta.
And where were they when the kids broke the windows in a clothing store close to the Dive shop & the Photo studio also on Pedro Clisante? Video photos of the aftermath of these events were televised this evening.

Where are the beat cops?.....is it not time they should have some....don't hold your breath...right. Money for politicains SUVs but not for the police vehicles or better pay for better police.

Reactions: Lucille

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com

Mack

Jan 10, 2009
Word on the street today regarding Omar is that they arrested a couple of guys in Santo Domingo. Anybody have any confirmed news on that?
Mack.

Mack

Jan 10, 2009
A couple of comments on the video.
Firstly my understanding of Spanish is poco poco. So I have not too much of a clue as to what he is saying.
Did he admit to being there?
Secondly, what about his right to remain silent?
Why would he allow himself to be exposed to that?
Just curious.
Mack.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Said he knew nothing about it, wasn't there but then said it wasn't him who killed the deceased, it was another guy, whom he named, so seemingly contradicting what he had said earlier.

As to rights of the accused, your guess is as good as mine only I do know it operates differently here from, for example, my country of origin. I don't know if the Fiscal was present or was maybe even the person asking the questions? There was no evidence that any of the responses were being written down or otherwise recorded, but who knows? I don't think the arrested man really said anything to incriminate himself unless one reads between the lines or reads the body language but the latter is not reliable since anyone in the same position, innocent or guilty, could give false signals due to nervousness, so I don't think there is anything there which would later get the case thrown out, but again, who knows what a lawyer might do with it?

Reactions: Mack