Open your eyes expat

Status
Not open for further replies.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
For the past 48 hours the crime report count of four murdered in different events at Sosua town, no one is related to the tourist area but for those of you guys who like to visit the Dominican side of the paradise, be very careful where you go and with who you mix.
SE esta jugando una pelota caliente en Sosua..

Watch out.

JJ

Reactions: mike l

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Good to know . Ill be there next week for a visit
Stay at the tourist area it is 100% safe, don't ever go to the poor areas
following the chicas.... Stay at "El Batey" NEVER GO TO LOS CHARAMICOS....

JJ

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
IMO the whole world is going to hell in a handbasket. I just read today about a group of young kids, girls and boys, that were killing taxi drivers apparently for fun and other gratification. It was pretty demented to say the least. Anymore I expect to hear about really demented stuff happen in the US but here I hadn't hear of stuff like that here so frequently. I guess we're "advancing" in all senses of the word. Good grief.

I still feel safe living here but you really need to know who you and your family and kids associate with.

Reactions: Bronxboy
Mar 2, 2008
Thank you, Bachata. That is good advice.

And, Don, you are correct. I know the two women whose safe was robbed. It is a terrible thing to have happened to them on their last day here.

Luckily, there is a great Canadian consul on the north coast, and they were able to replace their passports in time for their return flight.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
I agree with the Catcher!

The Canadian Counsel helps so many tourists who have come here with romantic intentions, unravel their dilemmas!

Chrismic

Mar 28, 2008
I have to agree with OP.

I have read in this forum about so many robbery and killings against foreigners living or visiting in the Puerto Plata area. And special in Sosua.
Also heard stories about attempts that has never come in this forum

So I have become little worried about my next long visit to Sosua later this year.

What concern and worry me most is not that I am so very afraid about be robbed , loose the little money i should have in my pocket or my cheap watch.

I have lived in Cuba for longer periods and there is a lot thefts there, have been robbed for some groceries for 15 usd value, snatch and run,but are not afraid to walk in the streets.

But the type of crime in Sosua is so much more violent than in Cuba.
They don't only take your valuables , but often kill they the victim, to pretend he can identify you later, if police should find some they suspect have robbed you .

And most of this crime happen at the place you live in, often early in the day.
And even that you have a safety box in your house, will they ask for combination and also your pin code to your credit card.

So the most important issue about the new place I shall live in when I return to Sosua, will be how safe is my hotel or apartment. will be more important than the size or other things in the apartment.

And as I did in my last visit, even that I am not the smallest guy in the town, will I always keep the door closed and never open up the door before i see who is outside and if I reconcile that persons. And if I don't they like their faces, so will not open and talk with the door closed.
I shall even bring with me a small hand alarm, that will make lot of noise , if I pull the plug out,\.

Same as go out at night, will I not walk in empty and dark streets at night, always use a motochono.

But this crimes will not stop me from visit Sosua, but I will follow my safety rules .
Better to be alive, than be seen as little cowardly and rude if you don't open the door if you get unexpected and unknown guest or visitors.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I have to agree with OP.

I have read in this forum about so many robbery and killings against foreigners living or visiting in the Puerto Plata area. And special in Sosua.
Also heard stories about attempts that has never come in this forum

So I have become little worried about my next long visit to Sosua later this year.

What concern and worry me most is not that I am so very afraid about be robbed , loose the little money i should have in my pocket or my cheap watch.

I have lived in Cuba for longer periods and there is a lot thefts there, have been robbed for some groceries for 15 usd value, snatch and run,but are not afraid to walk in the streets.

But the type of crime in Sosua is so much more violent than in Cuba.
They don't only take your valuables , but often kill they the victim, to pretend he can identify you later, if police should find some they suspect have robbed you .

And most of this crime happen at the place you live in, often early in the day.
And even that you have a safety box in your house, will they ask for combination and also your pin code to your credit card.

So the most important issue about the new place I shall live in when I return to Sosua, will be how safe is my hotel or apartment. will be more important than the size or other things in the apartment.

And as I did in my last visit, even that I am not the smallest guy in the town, will I always keep the door closed and never open up the door before i see who is outside and if I reconcile that persons. And if I don't they like their faces, so will not open and talk with the door closed.
I shall even bring with me a small hand alarm, that will make lot of noise , if I pull the plug out,\.

Same as go out at night, will I not walk in empty and dark streets at night, always use a motochono.

But this crimes will not stop me from visit Sosua, but I will follow my safety rules .
Better to be alive, than be seen as little cowardly and rude if you don't open the door if you get unexpected and unknown guest or visitors.

Why don't you get a dog to protect you also while you are here? Dogs are loyal and protective of anyone who cares for them...

Chrismic

Mar 28, 2008
Why don't you get a dog to protect you also while you are here? Dogs are loyal and protective of anyone who cares for them...

I shall not move to Sousa for good , only stay some time, what shall I do with the dog when I leave and since I shall rent or stay in a hotel, would I not be allowed to have a dog..

And I hate all this "guard" dogs, this horny dogs waked me up many times in the place I lived first time I was in Sosua. "Boff, boff" every night and morning.;)

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I shall not move to Sousa for good , only stay some time, what shall I do with the dog when I leave and since I shall rent or stay in a hotel, would I not be allowed to have a dog..

And I hate all this "guard" dogs, this horny dogs waked me up many times in the place I lived first time I was in Sosua. "Boff, boff" every night and morning.;)

It is wonderful that you think in the way that you do but you can give a dog back after you offer it a 'foster home' for the time that you stay and then hand the dog back - that is now a new and very successful initiative of Asociaci?n De Amigos Por Los Animales De Sos?a, Inc. (Friends of the Animals) and is proving to be very postitive for both people and the dogs involved. Perhaps you did not stay in good places in Sosua!!!!!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
And, Don, you are correct. I know the two women whose safe was robbed. It is a terrible thing to have happened to them on their last day here.

Luckily, there is a great Canadian consul on the north coast, and they were able to replace their passports in time for their return flight.

The newspaper report (if accurate) said the robbery happened in the early hours of the morning. Were the two women in their room at the time? Because although it is bad enough being robbed, at least if they were unharmed after an encounter with the robbers, that is something to be thankful for.

Chrismic

Mar 28, 2008
It is wonderful that you think in the way that you do but you can give a dog back after you offer it a 'foster home' for the time that you stay and then hand the dog back - that is now a new and very successful initiative of Asociaci?n De Amigos Por Los Animales De Sos?a, Inc. (Friends of the Animals) and is proving to be very postitive for both people and the dogs involved. Perhaps you did not stay in good places in Sosua!!!!!

This will be like "Rent a dog " for the period you want.
No , cant treat a dog like that , send it back again to this place where it is not so free as in a private house.

And what shall I do, if I as often has done when I am little drunk at a disco and believed when a girl say I am sexy and I take her back to my place
And live normally in a studio, what shall do with the dog, dont want it to look at us in the bed, maybe the dog got horny too,:bunny:
Cant put in the bathroom or let it go out and start to bark and wake up the neighbours .
So how should I solved such a problem ? :cheeky:

I lived in some kind of a private apartment house, opposite the 4 Roses bar and Hotel Europa, nice area and close to everything

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
IMO the whole world is going to hell in a handbasket. I just read today about a group of young kids, girls and boys, that were killing taxi drivers apparently for fun and other gratification. It was pretty demented to say the least. Anymore I expect to hear about really demented stuff happen in the US but here I hadn't hear of stuff like that here so frequently. I guess we're "advancing" in all senses of the word. Good grief.

I still feel safe living here but you really need to know who you and your family and kids associate with.
Wake up Chip - This happened here in Santo Domingo!

Click here>Taxi Drivers Killed

Don

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I lived in some kind of a private apartment house, opposite the 4 Roses bar and Hotel Europa, nice area and close to everything
BTW someone was stabbed to death right accross the street in the little cafeteria yesterday at 09:30. He was having breakfast when 2 guys showed up on a motocycle one went in with a machete and killed the guy who stabbed his brother the night before. Both got away. The funny part is that the cops sowed up 40 mins. later. The body was already gone and they were washing the blood of the floor. The cafeteria never closed.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Rats in a cage.

Reduce the food source and rats will start eating each other...

With tourism sharply down in Sosua, shouldn't this have been somewhat anticipated?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Wake up Chip - This happened here in Santo Domingo!

Click here>Taxi Drivers Killed

Don

Don

Why do I have to "wake up"?

I never said it happened in Santiago. What shocked me was how demented these young kids are.

I know there is crime and a lot of killing here in certain areas, but stuff like this, killing for sport, seemed a rare thing.

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004

With all due respect Whirleybird, I, a dog lover and owner, would never think to advocate that people "foster" a dog while on vacation in the DR. First of all, if someone is only there for a short period, the happiness and well-being of the dog will certainly not be high on that person's list of priorities if they are basically "renting a guard dog" for while they are there.

There is a big difference between people offering a dog a foster home until a permanent home is found and offering a temporary foster home while on vacation and then returning the dog to the shelter. What an awful life!

Imagine if a dog were to be tossed around from tourist to tourist over the course of several years - I cannot imagine in the least how this would be better for the dog than staying at the shelter for longer until either a long-term foster home or a permanent home was available. Also, while many may be responsible and turn the dog in when they are ready to leave, many others may simple turn the dog out on the street instead of back to the shelter. How can this possibly be a good outcome?

I was saddened to think the shelter has been doing this.

To the OP - I think there are better ways to stay safe while in the DR than borrowing a dog for your stay. In any country, it's always best to listen to those with experience as to where and where not to go.

May 29, 2006
Any details on the stabbing on Pedro Clisante at 9am? That is not Charimicos and the victim was 22. Was it a Dominican or a foreigner?

Brugalogy32

Apr 13, 2010
I was raised in the South Bronx so the violence and crime doesn't bother me. When I was coming of age it was the pinnacle of the crack war in New York City. There were 1,000 to 2,200 killed a year during those times so nothing suprises me. The recent change in Dominican crime patterns has prompted me to look into getting a firearm there though. The best advice I could give is watch eachother's (Expats and residents) backs because the other team has the home court advantage. Also, keep in mind at close range a pistol is ineffective agianst a skilled knifewielder. Finally I think a big part of your problems is that the United States has been deporting a high number of illegal aliens, most of them are criminals. A high number of the Dominicans deported are from the drug trade. Also, just the "Dominicayorks" visiting over there bring what they learn on the street to easily influenced youths of the Dominican Republic who have embraced the hiphop-reggaeton culture. While rythmic and fun to dance to, it also sends the wrong message to someone who cannot seperate fact from fiction. The common respect and decency that was once a way of life in the DR is on it's way to La Boca de Sabaneta, never to return.

Status
Not open for further replies.