regulations on importing pets

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
Hello, we're moving down at the end of June. Can anyone tell me how I find out exactly what I need to fly my pets ( 2 cats and a small dog) down from the US? We currently live in western New York. Thanks in advance :)

Aug 21, 2007
Corey, if you use the search function on this site, you will find all the information you need.

Basically, the pets need health certificates obtained from your veterinarian. All their shots must be up to date and prior to 30 days before traveling. Secondly, you need to speak with your airline. There is a limit to how many pets may fly on a plane at a time, either in cargo or in the cabin. If you will fly your animals in the cabin, they must ride under the seat in an airline approved container. You must have a "reservation" for them and pay for them to ride The cost is different for each airline. If the pets will travel in cargo, you must adhere to the embargo dates. Check with the airline, and follow their regulations for approved containers for embargo. Once in the DR, you must take your pets to the inspector at customs for agriculture. He will inspect your paperwork and provide you with a form to show your pets are permitted to enter the country. The cost for this for my small dog was 300 pesos. If you return to the States with the animals, the process is somewhat similar, but in reverse.

Good luck.
Lindsey

Reactions: Bronxboy

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Correct info, but pls do not forget the rabies shots, and they must be at least 30 days old, and are only valid for one year. Frequently this is the one paper they really look at.

If possible ask the vet for the papers in Spanish.

Good luck

Peter

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Correct info, but pls do not forget the rabies shots, and they must be at least 30 days old, and are only valid for one year. Frequently this is the one paper they really look at.

If possible ask the vet for the papers in Spanish.

Good luck

Peter

My experiece is that is the ONLY they look at.... rabies..... either direction...... DR and USA, just the rabies and Belgian k is right.... the DR peolple don't always understand the 3 year rabies shot.

Not all airlines allow animals... AA does for $150 per trip.
Continental is very expensive nd makes you use cargo... therefore you go to cargo for the dog and then the terminal for yourself.... same thing for pickup.

CO is good but costly and awkward.