Social networking via DR1...

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I have a friend who had been interested in going to the DR for a while but didn't make plans until recently.

Seeing as this was his first time there I wasn't worried for his safety so much as I was concerned about him being there without knowing anyone.

He speaks Spanish fluently and is not by any stretch of the imagination the type of guy prone to letting his guard down and inviting anyone to take advantage of him, but I remember what my first trip was like and it would have been cool to have networked with someone beforehand to explain things and show me around.

So I pm'ed fellow DR1 member Catcherintherye*, who lives in Sosua. He promised to pick my friend up at the airport and take him on a tour of the town. I have not gotten any specific details but I heard briefly from both parties that all went well.

I only know Catcherintherye via DR1. Never met him in person. But he came through for me. And for this he has my undying gratitude. Now my friend has plans on returning soon and these two strangers have become friends.

And so the social network continues to grow, and one more traveler has experienced the DR from a vantage point I wish I was privy to on my first trip.

That's what happens when you network on DR1. Good things can happen. :cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:

*Catcherintherye gave me permission to name him. He deserves major props for what he did.

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
100's if not 1000's of friend and business relationships have been born from DR1 since 1996.

Connecting people, as friends, tourism, business has always been one of our strong points. It's what it's about and another reason why we still enjoy coming to the office every day :)

Mar 2, 2008
I would like to thank Berzin for the opportunity to meet his friend, Eddy.

As Berzin mentioned, Having been rised in Columbia, Eddy speaks Spanish fluently, and he has the personality of a rock star, so he really didn't need much in the way of "local support". All I really did was pick him up at the airport and give him a brief '50-cent' tour of Sosua. He hit the ground running, so to speak.

Eddy is the type of guy who wants to live life to the fullest, and he wanted to make every single minute count while he was on vacation. Believe me, he certainly did that. I could only keep up with Eddy for short periods of time. When he wasn't with me he was busy making many other friends. I'm quite sure many chica's hearts were broken during his brief stay!

All in all, I have to say, I got the better of the deal. If all goes well, Eddy will be returning some time in July, and I am going to have to rest up until then if I plan to keep up with him next time. The benefits of networking definitely work two ways.

Reactions: Berzin