First time to DR! Arriving Saturday...

Status
Not open for further replies.

drorbust

Apr 15, 2010
I'm really glad I finally found this message board. Seems like a lot of good, knowledgeable people post here.

My girlfriend and I will be landing in Puerto Plata on Saturday around noon and we have no idea where to go or what to do (it's our first time to the Caribbean) :ermm:

We're in our mid-thirties. We have five nights to relax and have fun. We're both "people persons". Maybe not the biggest partiers (2am, not 5am), but we're looking to have fun.

Las Terennas sounded like the place for us. It looks remote, but it also has a nice town apparently. But getting there sounded like a challenge for only 5 nights. Cabarete sounds fun, but we're not into kite flying... We like authenticity, so maybe Sosua?

Maybe someone could suggest a plan? And also a place to stay. Like I said, we like authenticity, so we're not too interested in All Inclusive resorts.

Reactions: mike l

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Las Terrenas is very nice and should be pretty quiet at this time of the year.

However, if you take a taxi turistico from POP airport, it is around 180$ one way (3h ride). Not sure if it would be worth it for such a short time. You can take a dirt-cheap guagua from POP to LT but there is only one per day which leaves POP around 1 PM (not sure about their schedule from LT to POP but you could call and find out). In addition, you will have call them in advance in order for them to stop by the exit of the airport to pick you up (they don t speak English).

It is your call, but a closer option might better for such a short time.

PM if you need more info

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Your coming all the way to the D.R. from wherever without making prior plans?
And asking this board to give you advise for your arrival in 2 days.
Boy, are you in for a surprise. And please tell me you speak Spanish.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Your coming all the way to the D.R. from wherever without making prior plans?
And asking this board to give you advise for your arrival in 2 days.
Boy, are you in for a surprise. And please tell me you speak Spanish.

I miss that part :eek:
Hopefully, the OP meant next Saturday (next week), not this coming saturday :paranoid:

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I miss that part :eek:
Hopefully, the OP meant next Saturday (next week), not this coming saturday :paranoid:

I can't imagine getting off of a plane in PP with a girlfriend and suitcases and not having a set plan, especially when it sounds like their first time here.
Real gutsy move. If they walk into most any hotel without an advanced reservation, won't they get charged considerably more money? I hope for their sake it is next Saturday so they can get some advice here.

Like Lambada said. "Is this a real post"

MovingToDR2011

Mar 29, 2010
I can't imagine getting off of a plane in PP with a girlfriend and suitcases and not having a set plan, especially when it sounds like their first time here.
Real gutsy move. If they walk into most any hotel without an advanced reservation, won't they get charged considerably more money? I hope for their sake it is next Saturday so they can get some advice here.

Like Lambada said. "Is this a real post"

I don't understand why it wouldn't be a real post?

Some of the younger people aren't as rigid and don't need as much planning as some of the older people seem to like.

Of course there are people in both groups who are opposite but it seems from reading this site that a lot of the older (posters who seem older I should say) like to have plans and exact dates and ideas instead of winging it for a bit of adventure.

I went to Jerusalem for a week a couple of years ago just out of the blue because I wanted to go and see it - didn't have any plans or anything sorted before I went I just turned up at Tel-Aviv Airport and got a taxi to Jerusalem!

Stayed in a ?3 a night Bed+Evening meal hostel and it was amazing.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Funnily enough it wasn't the 'no prior plans' which made me wonder, waytogo. It was the use of terms like kite flying and authenticity.....and the poster's handle which seemed by effort inversely proportional to the energy thus far expounded.

MovingToDR2011

Mar 29, 2010
I think he made the username up on the spur of the moment - just to ask a few questions - probably referencing hundreds of usages of ''place name' or bust' like Monte Carlo or Bust etc.

I think that is fairly obvious.

What I have seen as a newbie is that that so many of the posters on these message boards instead of answering the questions/commenting on the contents of the OP's post they either pick faults or make unnecessary comments that just put people off using the site.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
............What I have seen as a newbie is that that so many of the posters on these message boards instead of answering the questions/commenting on the contents of the OP's post they either pick faults or make unnecessary comments that just put people off using the site.

So true, so true, so true..................

Reactions: mike l

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Just concerned how much help they can receive in one day if they are arriving this Saturday. There are so many places that it is not wise to go to, especially for a first timer. They could be in serious trouble before they know it.

Mar 2, 2008
So true.

We spend an inordinate amount of time responding to those who to do not want do any of their own research, and who then do not listen to the advice that is given.

If one seeks advice on Friday for something that will transpire on Friday night or Saturday, I think any advice is good advice, but it probably shouldn't be the only source of information.

MovingToDR2011

Mar 29, 2010
Sometimes posters use multiple personalities from the same computer, for example see Chirimoya's post 21 here
http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/102135-i-wanna-move-dom-rep-3.html#post847623

so I guess all we want to do is to make sure we are responding to a genuine question. And........um........there have been a few who have other agendas.;)

This is the account I created for me and my mum (we live in different cities - she's not exactly computer literate), however after using the forum for a few days sending and receiving PMs to some of the more relaxed helpful people it became clear that it would be useful if I took the leap and showed her how to use her own account, which she now uses.

I hope this clears it up for you.

Also, what agenda could this guy possibly be promoting? Obviously I'm a newbie so it's good to know these from high post count posters.

MovingToDR2011

Mar 29, 2010
Just concerned how much help they can receive in one day if they are arriving this Saturday. There are so many places that it is not wise to go to, especially for a first timer. They could be in serious trouble before they know it.

To say he left it too late is probably the biggest understatement ever...:cheeky:

drorbust

Apr 15, 2010
Friends (well... future friends, hopefully). Yes, we are real. And WOW ... this is a 'lively' board. I didn't mean to offend anyone. But the truth is - yes, we have no plans. I mean, I landed in London when I was a mere 22 year old the day before Princess Diana's funeral without a reservation and found a great hostile with a bar that stayed open till 4am, so... is the DR so conservative?

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
One thing for sure, The D.R. is not London......Not by a longshot.
And I don't think you offended anyone, nothing you said was offensive.
I would just recommend that for the first time, and if time permits, research a bit more.
There are many website that are quite informative

drorbust

Apr 15, 2010
From reading your responses, I realized that I'm definitely not on LonelyPlanet or Roughguide... This board is a community and I really respect that. But I've been researching our trip for some time and until I found this board, it has been surprisingly hard to get decent advice (abrasive, suspicious advice all the same). We're real.

Cheers.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
The first time I came to the DR I did not have any reservation and did not know much about the place. I have gone other places without having any reservation and found a place to stay when I arrived. In hindsigt I can see that is little crazy. Not sure I am going to do that anymore. But I think it is a normal thing to do. It is not like there is a war going on here. Often it makes your planning more flexible when you arrive instead of booking at a resort beforehand which turn out to suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.