Property Ownership and wills in DR

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
NO you do not need a DR will to purchase property. I have also been told by our lawyer that if we have a US will (which we do) that it will be recognized here in the DR

Bob K

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If there is anyone around to put that will into play.
Dominican law splits assets 50-50. Remaining partner gets 50% and the kids split 50%.
I do belive our learned legal advisor has said that a person can bequeath up to 25% of his assets to somebody else. But it is all cut and dired.

HB

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
There are inheritance advantages to form a company to purchase the property rather than to purchase it as a private individual.

I took this off the website of Fabio Guzman, the lawyer who answers questions in the Legal section of the forum:

"Inheritance of Real Estate by Foreigners

"There are no restrictions on foreigners inheriting title to real property in the Dominican Republic. Inheritance taxes have been recently lowered to 3% of the appraised value of the estate. If the beneficiary resides outside the Dominican Republic, inheritance taxes are subject to a 50% surcharge, raising the tax rate to 4.5%.

"Inheritance of real estate is governed by Dominican law which provides for Aforced heirship@: part of the inheritance must go to certain heirs by law. For example, a foreigner with a child must reserve 50% of the estate to that child despite the existence of a will or of the law of his country of residence. To avoid the application of Dominican rules of inheritance to the estate, it is advisable for foreigners to hold real estate indirectly through a holding company."

With respect to needing a Dominican will, if you do a search for wills you will find previous threads on that, including a similar question that I asked and that was answered by Fabio Guzman, the lawyer who answers questions in Legal section. He said if you have a will that is ok in the US then it is ok here.

If you have any legal type questions, you should post them in the Legal section in order to get a reply from an outstanding Dominican lawyer.

Last edited:

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Dominican law is based on Napoleanic code - it is territorial in nature. SO yes DR law overrides if anything is on DR soil.

I second Kens advice - ALL real estate should be held in a corporation. Those to inherit can be shareholders.