Is he a Sanky????

concerned1

Apr 17, 2010
Hello,

This is my first time posting here. I stumbled over this sight and thought perhaps I might be able to get some insight or help as I see there is a lot of info here on the subject of sankies! Help!
So here is the story..........a family member (US citizen) met a young DR man a few yrs ago. They both work for the same co. (he in DR, her is US) so this is how they met. They are now married for about a yr and yes she got him into US on a fiance visa. Frankly the first time I met him on a visit at the start of this, I thought he was gay. This was before truly knowing that there was any type of relationship going on and he was just introduced as a "friend" visiting from DR. She saw him fairly regularly on working trips and also visited on vacations and he came to US several times for visits. After about a yr or more of this, they announced they were engaged. Mind u, the US relative was all very secretive about this to most family due to him being 30 (!) yrs her jr. and due to him being non US citizen, I will also add if this matters, that he is black and she is white (divorced for many yrs and not un-attractive-but to a 30 yr old???!)
Of course everyone was concerned but family member made it quite clear if u don't accept this leave us alone!
There were many emails, phone calls etc. during the whole "courting" phase, he brought gifts here for her when he visited, she went and met his family and stayed there. I do not have proof or know for sure if he ever asked for any $ or if she gave any $ but I do suspect this knowing this family member's history. When he first came to US, she bought him a used car (before he even had a license to drive!) and he managed to get a job in another US city and commuted to their home on his days off. He also just happened to know another male in this city that he cld rent a room from-which I found interesting. He spent 6 months in the other city and has now been transferred to the city where the family member lives. Again, she is still being rather secretive about anything personal but I have found out that he has run up a rather large phone bill on a couple of occasions (and played dumb as to not knowing cost), she has also bought him a very expensive computer shortly after he got here and who knows what else!
Since before he came to US and since he has been here, his mother has been sick in hospital, his sister had a miscarriage, his father was sick, when he was still in DR he was in hospital, since he has been here, his mother has been in the hospital (he has also gotten sick with pneumonia while here so cannot rule out that any of this is true!) I do not know if the family member sent any $ for these "sick" issues before he came to US or since but I cannot rule it out since reading Sanky 101 and her history!
He just recently went on a trip back to DR alone and called her every night complaining about the heat, the brown outs etc.
I can add more info and if needed please ask but think this may be enough for some feedback/insight to the ? Is HE a SANKY??????

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Send your relative a link to this forum...although advice may fall on deaf ears!:ermm:

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
He may or may not be a sankie - however he is definately an opportunist. All the excuses about family being sick etc - classic. Of course at times people actually do get sick and the family member with the gringo /gringa gets to shell out the money - at least that is the expectation.

30 year age difference - huge flag
financial difference -huge flag
excuses for $ - huge flag

Have your relative read ALL the sankie forum stories. Read themyourslef. Send to all the family members you can. It is likely already too late.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Welcome to DR1.

You say he visited the US several times before getting married. That means he was able to get a visitor visa to the US which is uncommon.

My 2 cents here is, it's her life and nothing you say will change her mind toward him until she decides to have nothing to do with him so leave them alone. What difference does it make to you?

concerned1

Apr 17, 2010
.......just a little more info I meant to add..........

the family member owns a home, supposedly did get a prenup priior to the marriage as "he" of course said he does not want anything of hers, she probably earns double what he does-he has been working since shortly after he got here and she has a child 6 yrs older than him who no longer speaks to her since this marriage, she has also been alienating her closest family members which of course is a big concern since there will be no one around to pick up the pieces if he really takes her for a ride...........he of course is aware of how she is acting toward her own child and family.........

concerned1

Apr 17, 2010
Welcome to DR1.

You say he visited the US several times before getting married. That means he was able to get a visitor visa to the US which is uncommon.

My 2 cents here is, it's her life and nothing you say will change her mind toward him until she decides to have nothing to do with him so leave them alone. What difference does it make to you?

yes he did, I do not know how he obtained visitor visa, if she helped him etc. I am not aware of that.
Yes I know it is her life and that is pretty much what she has said from get go...........it makes a difference to me because I love her, am concerned about her well being and what he may do and as she approaches her retirement age do not want to see her lose everything she has worked her whole life for..............

Last edited:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
.......just a little more info I meant to add..........

the family member owns a home, supposedly did get a prenup priior to the marriage as "he" of course said he does not want anything of hers, she probably earns double what he does-he has been working since shortly after he got here and she has a child 6 yrs older than him who no longer speaks to her since this marriage, she has also been alienating her closest family members which of course is a big concern since there will be no one around to pick up the pieces if he really takes her for a ride...........he of course is aware of how she is acting toward her own child and family.........

This is all just gossip which is something I try not to allow here. This forum is meant for people that need advice for themselves. It's a little late, they are married so just stand by for moral support in case she needs it. That is all you you do at this point.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
I smell nothing more than jealously in the OP's part. You just doesn't like that your family member is hooked up with that "gay" looking dude. I don't see any red flags in that relationship. He works, may have holded a US visitor visa before going over there and you are complaining about the gifts your family member is giving to him. I normally give my wife large gifts out of nowhere and that doesn't mean something bad.

Really different from a real "sanky"

concerned1

Apr 17, 2010
....this is not gossip.............this is an actual concern as I am close to this person.............I came here for some advice and insight.........perhaps that was my mistake?

concerned1

Apr 17, 2010
I smell nothing more than jealously in the OP's part. You just doesn't like that your family member is hooked up with that "gay" looking dude. I don't see any red flags in that relationship. He works, may have holded a US visitor visa before going over there and you are complaining about the gifts your family member is giving to him. I normally give my wife large gifts out of nowhere and that doesn't mean something bad.

Really different from a real "sanky"

Jealous? I hardly think so............I could care less if he is gay, what bothers me is if he is, he is not being honest about it by marrying a woman who is not aware that he is. So a 30 yr age difference is not a red flag? I only mentioned the gifts after reading other things on this forum and the fact that there is no way he cld afford them...............

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
....this is not gossip.............this is an actual concern as I am close to this person.............I came here for some advice and insight.........perhaps that was my mistake?

The advice is stay out of their life coz there is nothing you can do. They are married, have a pre-nup so now it's up to her what she does with her life.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
They have a pre-nup and she still want to push this agenda?? I'll bet 1000 to 1 that the OP is the daughter of the "victim" and is mad that his mother has a young kid as her husband.

AnnaC good advice and good eye.

concerned1

Apr 17, 2010
He may or may not be a sankie - however he is definately an opportunist. All the excuses about family being sick etc - classic. Of course at times people actually do get sick and the family member with the gringo /gringa gets to shell out the money - at least that is the expectation.

30 year age difference - huge flag
financial difference -huge flag
excuses for $ - huge flag

Have your relative read ALL the sankie forum stories. Read themyourslef. Send to all the family members you can. It is likely already too late.

Thx DMV...............I have read a lot of them which is why I posted here........I do not think she wld be open at this point if I sent this forum to her though! I have sent it to other family members who r just as alarmed as I am and have been for some time.........u r proably right that is is likely already too late. Just worried that he will he hurt her in more ways than one...........

concerned1

Apr 17, 2010
They have a pre-nup and she still want to push this agenda?? I'll bet 1000 to 1 that the OP is the daughter of the "victim" and is mad that his mother has a young kid as her husband.

AnnaC good advice and good eye.

There is concern that the pre-nup has since gone by the wayside/changed due to her child not accepting this if it was ever really there in the first place. I am NOT the daughter (or son) of the "victim" and have nothing to gain or lose financially by any of this.........I am a close relative and worried about this for more reasons than one...........

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
As I first read the OP's opening post, I thought 'OK, they met through work, this could be real'. The 30-yr age difference is a flag tho.

To the OP: My personal opinion is that if you care for this woman you will be there for her now and later. A marriage with that kind of age difference is difficult under ANY circumstances, but if you add in family desertion it puts an additional strain on the relationship. What she does with her life is her business, she's not hurting anyone else, and if she's happy so be it. Telling her to read a sanky thread isn't going to accomplish anything, and it's too late now anyway since they are married. She protected herself with a pre-nup [bravo!], so let her live her life. Don't ostracize her from the family! Life is too short for that.

AE

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
As I first read the OP's opening post, I thought 'OK, they met through work, this could be real'. The 30-yr age difference is a flag tho.

To the OP: My personal opinion is that if you care for this woman you will be there for her now and later. A marriage with that kind of age difference is difficult under ANY circumstances, but if you add in family desertion it puts an additional strain on the relationship. What she does with her life is her business, she's not hurting anyone else, and if she's happy so be it. Telling her to read a sanky thread isn't going to accomplish anything, and it's too late now anyway since they are married. She protected herself with a pre-nup [bravo!], so let her live her life. Don't ostracize her from the family! Life is too short for that.

AE

I actually feel bad for the Dominican guy hehehe, the lady was able to get a young stud 30 years younger than her and convinced him to marry her with a pre-nup. I think instead of being afraid of the family member you should be envy of her, because she for sure is having the time of her life.

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
Jealous? I hardly think so............I could care less if he is gay, what bothers me is if he is, he is not being honest about it by marrying a woman who is not aware that he is. So a 30 yr age difference is not a red flag? I only mentioned the gifts after reading other things on this forum and the fact that there is no way he cld afford them...............
You sound like the 36 year old child? Are you?

concerned1

Apr 17, 2010

AE
I am there for her and have been and have not tried to be anything but happy for her. Her attitude and behaviour is and has been a concern though as she seems to be pushing everyone away as if she does not need anyone now that she has him. This of course worries me too and I do not see her as being all that happy......more like she is pretending to be happy. She has not been ostracized by her family........she has though started arguments on her own with her child who she no longer sees.......which I guess is another story ......but I now see her pushing away family members who have been there for her and this of course concerns me...........he is aware of all of this and I guess I feel that if he is up to no good that she is making it very easy for him by her trying to alienate others close to her..........

concerned1

Apr 17, 2010
You sound like the 36 year old child? Are you?

As I posted previously............NO! I am not the child! I have nothing to gain or lose here financially. The "child" will no longer have anything to do with her for the last yr. Is finished with her and does not want to have anything to do with any of it any longer...........this has also caused alienation with her only 2 grandkids which is pretty heartbreaking in itself............they were all very close before this marriage. I fully understand that it is her life and she has the right to live it as she sees fit...........I do however and have felt this all along that something not quite right and she will be taken for the ride of her life.............I wish I cld get rid of that sinking feeling but the more I see the more I can't get it to go away!