HOMS in Santiago: Another Great Experience

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I'm 58 and have always been very healthy. I've never thought much about a full physical being done. But I know it's time:paranoid:. You know, bloodwork, colonoscopy, cardiac workup and for guys...the dreaded prostate.

Had the colonoscopy @ HOMS by Dr. Ruben Russel, a fine physician, last January. Everything, including a pre-anesthesia cardiac consult, came to under $600 and was a first class experience in every respect. During the cardiac exam with Dr. Santiago Garcia, he asked if I'd ever had a full heart workup...and I never have. He suggested it's time and I agreed since Dad CB died suddenly at a fairly early age (46).

So last week I had a echocardiogram, doppler carotid and stress test, all @ HOMS in one morning. Another excellent First World experience, fine facility with quality technicians, first class equipment and an army of qualified physicians. And the total cost? Right at $300. That is far less than the deductible on my old US insurance policy.

A bit of humor: I was told to dress for a workout, so came dressed like a DomYork in nice gym shorts, T-shirt, socks and athletic shoes. I was almost not admitted into the clinic because they have a dress code: no shorts.

Bottom line: 2-for-2 in an excellent healthcare experience. I highly recommend HOMS and their medical staff.

(Note: Prostate exam is next, but I'm certain I won't be posting about my experience...:cheeky:)

Feb 7, 2007
Are the amounts in pesos, a co-pay with DR insurance policy, or in dollars with no policy?

Couldn't figure that out...

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Are the amounts in pesos, a co-pay with DR insurance policy, or in dollars with no policy?

Couldn't figure that out...
I paid pesos. I have no health insurance in the DR.

I compared the total cost here ($300 MOL) with the deductible/co-pay on the same procedures in the states (over $500).

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Nice to hear that everything is ok with you and also nice post to read that HOMS is state of the art clinic.

Convinces me more and more to pay them a visit since I'm having trouble with my right ellbow who is warm and swollen since a few weeks (broke that one when I was a child) and its really holding me back in training with my dogs since I am right handed...damn!

arg1118

Mar 11, 2010
Funny Thing about health centers for HOMS and Cedimat as well

Its just funny how these places are government subsidized but somehow end up serving the public sector... i.e. they are supposed to be for people who can nnot afford any insurance or have adequate resources for medical care....

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Its just funny how these places are government subsidized but somehow end up serving the public sector... i.e. they are supposed to be for people who can nnot afford any insurance or have adequate resources for medical care....
I've had good experiences in the Bosch public hospital in La Vega, too.

I don't recall that HOMS was ever supposed to be a purely public-only hospital. I thought it was a public/private venture.

arg1118

Mar 11, 2010
re: public v private

I've had good experiences in the Bosch public hospital in La Vega, too.

I don't recall that HOMS was ever supposed to be a purely public-only hospital. I thought it was a public/private venture.

The people who where building HOMS ran out of money and government bailed them out. Essentially taking over for pretty piece of equity and personal gain. The issue is that some of these government controlled hospitals are run like for profit ventures competing directly with the free market and often not serving those in dire need. The government should not venture in these markets and should certainly not have bailed these people out because the gov't should have been applying those resources to the countless public clinics in dire need of equipment, properly paid personnel, and general refurbishment. Unfortunately, most if not all "public/private" ventures are corruption driven where the "public" and the "private" side end up being the same entities. The DR gov't is great at short term solutions and grandiose openings of state of the art facilities, but its whether or not these are around and in proper order in 10+ years is the real test. Meanwhile the public sector i.e. gov't fumbles as it tries to properly allocate its resources, something that in even less corrupt governments in nations of better economic and resource standing are unable to do.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
The people who where building HOMS ran out of money and government bailed them out. Essentially taking over for pretty piece of equity and personal gain. The issue is that some of these government controlled hospitals are run like for profit ventures competing directly with the free market and often not serving those in dire need. The government should not venture in these markets and should certainly not have bailed these people out because the gov't should have been applying those resources to the countless public clinics in dire need of equipment, properly paid personnel, and general refurbishment. Unfortunately, most if not all "public/private" ventures are corruption driven where the "public" and the "private" side end up being the same entities. The DR gov't is great at short term solutions and grandiose openings of state of the art facilities, but its whether or not these are around and in proper order in 10+ years is the real test. Meanwhile the public sector i.e. gov't fumbles as it tries to properly allocate its resources, something that in even less corrupt governments in nations of better economic and resource standing are unable to do.
Whatever, dude.

IMO, the entire country is much better off for the existence of HOMS. And if it weren't for the private guys who started it, HOMS wouldn't exist. In fact, maybe it should be a model of public/private cooperation.

I'm unaware that they restrict admissions to anyone by payor. In fact, I understood the caveat of public participation WAS the acceptance of the "public." Do you have evidence they don't?

But it makes no difference to me, nor the reason of this thread. It has provided excellent medical services, equally as good as in the states.

arg1118

Mar 11, 2010
I never said they don't take the public, in any case they do you have evidence to the contrary.

The fact that is tax pesos financing HOMS, that is run for profit for the government and that it does not serve the public exclusively is the problem.

You should put more thought as to how the government meddling in the free market affects service as a whole. There woule be better service acrros the country if not for the government interfering where it does not belong. THis is something accross whole industries.

Additionally, the fact you refer to the US health care system which is financially in shambles is quite ironic....that model does not work in the US, do you think it will work here? of course not....

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
You should put more thought as to how the government meddling in the free market affects service as a whole. There woule be better service acrros the country if not for the government interfering where it does not belong. THis is something accross whole industries.
:confused:

I'm confused.

You say gubmint intrusion in the private market screws it up, yet you complain about not enough gubmint attention on the abysmal gubmint-run healthcare system.

arg1118 said:
Additionally, the fact you refer to the US health care system which is financially in shambles is quite ironic....that model does not work in the US, do you think it will work here? of course not....
I was IN that healthcare system for a bunch of years and have no idea what you're talking about.

This thread is about the fine services I received at HOMS that others might consider taking advantage of.

Maybe you grind your ax about the DR gubmint and US healthcare system elsewhere.

Just a thought.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I have been to HOMS for OB care, my kids have their pediatrician there, and have to say that the doctors are great. But when my son got admitted with a stomach virus the nursing care was horrible. I expected more from HOMS being a RN myself, I couldn't wait to get out of there.
SHALENA

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I have been to HOMS for OB care, my kids have their pediatrician there, and have to say that the doctors are great. But when my son got admitted with a stomach virus the nursing care was horrible. I expected more from HOMS being a RN myself, I couldn't wait to get out of there.
SHALENA
Isn't nursing in the US a different animal than the DR? Seems many tasks done by MD's here are done by RN's in the states. And RN's here are like NA's in the states.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Glad to hear about the availability and quick service for such important tests at reasonable prices. I too have family history of Cardiac problems and have High BP myself even though I eat very appropriately and get enough exercise. How long would you say in takes to drive to HOMS from Jarabacoa - 40 minutes?

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Glad to hear about the availability and quick service for such important tests at reasonable prices. I too have family history of Cardiac problems and have High BP myself even though I eat very appropriately and get enough exercise. How long would you say in takes to drive to HOMS from Jarabacoa - 40 minutes?
About 40 mins.

One issue I'm adapting to about the Dominican medical culture is no real appointments. You show up and it's first come, first serve. AND doctors give patients their cell #

I did inquire with some docs in Jarabacoa: they say the town is set up to handle some life-saving tasks if necessary, like heart attacks and strokes. Not sure it's on par with the 911 system in the urban areas of the states, but nice to know. At least I know my colon and heart will prolly not have to test them any time soon...:cheeky:

Blue is my color of sarcasm...:cheeky:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I know not who that guy is but I am pretty sure that the government has NO equity in HOMS.
Yes, they did bring in some needed capital at a critical juncture. Yes HOMS repays this money by taking critical care patients and surgery cases on referral from the area's public hospital.

No, HOMS was not really supposted to be a "public" facility as Cabral y Baez, for obvious reasons.

Yes, they do receive people off the street but I do not think it takes indigent patients without referral...

JWIT.

HJB

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I'm 58 and have always been very healthy. I've never thought much about a full physical being done. But I know it's time:paranoid:. You know, bloodwork, colonoscopy, cardiac workup and for guys...the dreaded prostate.

Had the colonoscopy @ HOMS by Dr. Ruben Russel, a fine physician, last January. Everything, including a pre-anesthesia cardiac consult, came to under $600 and was a first class experience in every respect. During the cardiac exam with Dr. Santiago Garcia, he asked if I'd ever had a full heart workup...and I never have. He suggested it's time and I agreed since Dad CB died suddenly at a fairly early age (46).

So last week I had a echocardiogram, doppler carotid and stress test, all @ HOMS in one morning. Another excellent First World experience, fine facility with quality technicians, first class equipment and an army of qualified physicians. And the total cost? Right at $300. That is far less than the deductible on my old US insurance policy.

A bit of humor: I was told to dress for a workout, so came dressed like a DomYork in nice gym shorts, T-shirt, socks and athletic shoes. I was almost not admitted into the clinic because they have a dress code: no shorts.

Bottom line: 2-for-2 in an excellent healthcare experience. I highly recommend HOMS and their medical staff.

(Note: Prostate exam is next, but I'm certain I won't be posting about my experience...:cheeky:)

That's $600 and $300 USD not RDP, correct?

rescatara

Apr 24, 2009
I went there, and besides having a wonderful dr. trained in Mass., got top notch help.
I loved the elevator... Packed like a n.y.c. subway!!! there is an alarm bell for overweight and when it goes off, no one wants to leave,,,,... I wanted to!!!!

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Cobraboy, I think you mentioned you don't have a local medical plan. If I remember incorrectly and you do have one, the following questions are not relevant:

Does it not make sense for you to have a local medical plan?

Would it have not saved you a considerable amount for these studies if you had one?

Would there have been disadvantages to having a local plan to help with the payments versus "paying in cash" ?
All good questions.

And I don't know.

I once got a quote from Monumental for US$225 a month for a personal policy the two of us (I recall; could be wrong). That's $2700 a year plus deductible for services used. Is that worth it to me? Do I think I'd use more than $2700-3500 a year in services? Don't know, probably not. Insurance is just legalized gambling. We passed. US$3500 will buy a LOT of medical services in the DR.

I have no problem paying cash as I go, especially at the very reasonable rates a top facility and doctors like HOMS charges. Heck, I had multiple X-rays and a lengthy ortho consult done in Jarabacoa for under US$35.
I can afford that, just bas I can afford the two groups of services I consumed @ HOMS.

Tthat being said, one of our companies pays for required employee insurance. We'll be buying a top-notch group policy for all of us in the near future as a benefit.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Interesting. I was just quoted 28,557 $RD (about $800 US annually) for Humano Plan Royal and 42,165 (about $1,160 US annually) for Plan Max which add reimbursements for out of network doctors while Plan Royal does not . That was for 2 adults and a 16 year old.

I do agree about insurance being a gamble.
I could be wrong about the premiums. Prolly am.