Miss Dominican Idiot

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
Question: why santo Domingo deserve to be the cultural capital of America?
Answer: because We have nice beaches and Santo Domingo esta Alante;
E pa lante que vamos

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Got myself corrected by a Paraguayan bloke about this one time.
He seemed to think that America extended from Canada to Argentina, much like Africa reaches from Morocco to South Africa.
When I told him of 'The Americas' he said yes, that means both North and South America - the two Americas.
He wasn't too keen when I subsequently kept introducing him as American though!

Anyway, the USA keeps changing shape - they added Alaska and Hawaii just recently and there is no reason to believe they have finished yet.
The misses' family still has a box full of US flags from before they made the change. They use these for all sorts of irreverent things like making patchwork quilts and cushions. They even made me a baby sling - a real talking point as it turned out.

Anyway, what was this thread about?

Cultural Capital? Santo Domingo? - maybe a few hundred years ago but not so much now.

Last edited:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I thought Washington Heights was the cultural capital of the DomRep...:cheeky:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Actually, thats a question I couldn't answer!

Why did Santo Domingo deserve to be named the Cultural Capital of Americas in 2010?

This is something we have debated in the office for hours, especially when you look at previous winners and what they actually did and how the exposure and investment changed their cities.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but it's a sore subject with some of us :)

Carry on...

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Well if Glasgow and Liverpool can both be declared the cultural capital of Europe then I guess anything is possible.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
There was one a few years back that said the historical figure she most admired Juan Pablo Duarte because he discovered America.

Another said the founding fathers of the Dominican Republic were Juan, Pablo and Duarte.

But still nobody can top this for stupid answers:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lj3iNxZ8Dww&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lj3iNxZ8Dww&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Happy To Help A Hijacker

Why did Santo Domingo deserve to be named the Cultural Capital of Americas in 2010?

This is something we have debated in the office for hours, especially when you look at previous winners and what they actually did and how the exposure and investment changed their cities.

Carry on...

Robert, arm yourself for next debate with help of Google:
Google

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
its actually harder than you think. they train 12-15 hours/day for the week before, get very little sleep on the actual day, working their asses off to look good and not trip over their dresses. then they're put on the spot with questions they're not ready for and have to come up with quick answers for, which if they screw up those 10 seconds screws up their lifelong dream.

i think many DR1 readers would fare poorly in the same situation and are hardly beauty queens.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Well if Glasgow and Liverpool can both be declared the cultural capital of Europe then I guess anything is possible.

I didn't believe that so I checked & you're correct - Glasgow was in 1990 and Liverpool in 2008. But it also looks like there's a list already worked out in advance right up to 2025.........?
European Capital of Culture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Couldn't see the same for the Americas, though
IBOCC

Bienvenidos / Welcome / Bem-vindos / Bienvenus

And to comment on why Santo Domingo - are there actually any criteria for this honour? As far as I could see from all the websites on this, you fill in a form and pay a fee, and there has been a lot of stuff written about the fee and whether the 'honour' is buyable for example
?Capital Americana de la Cultura?, un dudoso premio que cuesta caro

So, getting back to the topic, I would have to ask whether the lady is such an 'idiot', as defined by the OP, after all?

Vacara

I love AZB!
May 5, 2009
Question: why santo Domingo deserve to be the cultural capital of America?
Answer: because We have nice beaches and Santo Domingo esta Alante;
E pa lante que vamos

It's obvious that you have no clue about what are the goals of the CAC when they name a city Cultural Capital of America. Had you done a bit of research, gone to their website and read their statements you wouldn't be asking this question.

"...La Capital Americana de la Cultura, creada en 1998, tiene como objetivo promover la integraci?n interamericana desde el ?mbito cultural, contribuir a un mejor conocimiento entre los pueblos del continente americano, respetando su diversidad nacional y regional, poniendo de relieve al mismo tiempo el patrimonio cultural com?n. La Organizaci?n Capital Americana de la Cultura es miembro del Bureau Internacional de Capitales Culturales, promueve internacionalmente las ciudades capitales culturales y establece nuevos puentes de cooperaci?n con Europa, continente que tiene establecida la capital cultural desde 1985. Est? acreditada ante la Organizaci?n de los Estados Americanos (OEA) y tiene el reconocimiento de los Parlamentos Latinoamericano y Europeo.

It doesn't take "hours of debate" to understand that this is not about about what city has the most vibrant, flashy & impressing cultural activities at any particular moment, but rather their intentions are to "promote" a city. Santo Domingo has a lot to offer from a cultural point of view and certainly needs the promotions. That's enough in my opinion to get this distinction.

This is the list of the cities that up to now have received this honor;

M?rida (M?xico) 2000; Iquique (Chile) 2001; Macei? (Brasil) 2002; Ciudad de Panam? (Panam?) y Curitiba (Brasil) 2003; Santiago (Chile) 2004; Guadalajara (M?xico) 2005; C?rdoba (Argentina) 2006; Cusco (Per?) 2007; Brasilia (Brasil) 2008; Asunci?n (Paraguay) 2009, y Santo Domingo (Rep?blica Dominicana) 2010.

Based on the above criteria, why would any of this city deserve it more than Santo Domingo?.

Vacara

I love AZB!
May 5, 2009
And to comment on why Santo Domingo - are there actually any criteria for this honour? As far as I could see from all the websites on this, you fill in a form and pay a fee, and there has been a lot of stuff written about the fee and whether the 'honour' is buyable for example
?Capital Americana de la Cultura?, un dudoso premio que cuesta caro

So, getting back to the topic, I would have to ask whether the lady is such an 'idiot', as defined by the OP, after all?

Their website leaves a lot to be desired. At best is "unimpressive".

Feb 7, 2007

Carry on...

Sorry to keep hijacking... I have heard in Gobierno de la Tarde that this title was BOUGHT.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
But still nobody can top this for stupid answers:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lj3iNxZ8Dww&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lj3iNxZ8Dww&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

She'd be awesome....

...with a mute button...;)