Driving Terminology

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
I have a friend who lives in Santiago who told me yesterday she owns 2 cars. Now one of these car needs some major engine work. We were talking and I advised her to sell the car because they are 2 1989 Corollas and very popular in this country. She said she couldnt because she needs the car to earn "dinerito por [su] familia". Aparentemente eses carros se usan por servicio CP. OK, great. But she doesnt drive the cars although she owns them. She "leases" them out to a driver to run around town(in the G route). La problema que existe que ella no sabe como conducir. Y me dijo que los choferes ganan mas que el dueno del carro. Entonces yo le dije a ella que le ensenare como conducir. Y mas, ella tiene hijo mayor que estaba rechazado de los Reales de Kansas City. I think he is like 19 now. HE was on the farm team, AAA in Missouri or something. Anyway, back in Santiago without a job, I figured I d teach them both how to drive so she can make these cars work for her and pocket all the dough.

So I am asking you guys for terminology to use to direct my efforts. Essentially, I want 1 syllable(if possible) words to use in an emergency type situation. I dont want to be saying no "empuje el acelerador"(see too many syllables) I want to say something like "Dale Gas", "Toche lo bray"(Touch the brakes).

Yea yea yea, I know they drive like nuts here but so what. The idea here is to maximize her entrepreneurial prowess.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Cage Training

I figured I d teach them both how to drive
You do not really want to do that, do you?
You'd need a training cage (full of monkeys). :cheeky:
And four to six new sets of nerves. :tired:

Pay some guagua driver to teach them how to survive in the traffic.
My wife does most of the driving here... she has Dominican nerves....

donP

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
DR driver handbook-

Would it be possible to get a copy of the DR Driver's handbook? Many suitable terms would be in there. They would be correct as well as the Spanish. IMO, you are going to need more vocabulary than just verb commands. You did not specify much the type of vocabulary you need/ want. I took these from the DR driver's hand book (online) just to give a few examples.

- la acera- the sidewalk
- la velocidad - speed
- el sem?foro- the traffic light (rojo, verde, amarillo)
- el cintur?n de seguridad - seat belt
- doblar (girar) - to turn
- estacionar- to park
- la derecha- the right
- la izquierda- the left
- no doble en U- no U turn
- siga frente -go ahead/straight
- no entre- do not enter
- no estacione... do not park
- la velocidad m?xima- the maximum speed
- una v?a- one way
- calle sin salida- 'cul-de-sac' (dead end)
- intermitente- flashing
- reducir la velocidad- to reduce (your) speed

... with the handbook you can ascertain more words/ phrases that you will need.

-MP.

Reactions: TOOBER_SDQ

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Forget left and right, in the DR everything is in one of two directions, either "arriba"or "abajo". I dont know why or what exactly that means. I just know it ****es me off when people give me useless directions that way.

That has nothing to do with your question does it?

Well to answer your question the best one syllable word you can use when someone else is driving is "aye yay yay" Thats three syllables, but its the same one 3 times.

Basically you are foolishly taking on alot of responsibility and will likely soon regret it.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I have a friend who lives in Santiago who told me yesterday she owns 2 cars. Now one of these car needs some major engine work. We were talking and I advised her to sell the car because they are 2 1989 Corollas and very popular in this country. She said she couldnt because she needs the car to earn "dinerito por [su] familia". Aparentemente eses carros se usan por servicio CP. OK, great. But she doesnt drive the cars although she owns them. She "leases" them out to a driver to run around town(in the G route). La problema que existe que ella no sabe como conducir. Y me dijo que los choferes ganan mas que el dueno del carro. Entonces yo le dije a ella que le ensenare como conducir. Y mas, ella tiene hijo mayor que estaba rechazado de los Reales de Kansas City. I think he is like 19 now. HE was on the farm team, AAA in Missouri or something. Anyway, back in Santiago without a job, I figured I d teach them both how to drive so she can make these cars work for her and pocket all the dough.

So I am asking you guys for terminology to use to direct my efforts. Essentially, I want 1 syllable(if possible) words to use in an emergency type situation. I dont want to be saying no "empuje el acelerador"(see too many syllables) I want to say something like "Dale Gas", "Toche lo bray"(Touch the brakes).

Yea yea yea, I know they drive like nuts here but so what. The idea here is to maximize her entrepreneurial prowess.

I like to teach how to drive a bike better, there is more physic contact.:cheeky:

JJ

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
I like to teach how to drive a bike better, there is more physic contact.:cheeky:

JJ

now there's a real dominican for you! :)

dude, this woman is already doing good, she has 2 cars earning passive income for her with concho drivers doing all the work. better she buy another 2 cars and double her income that way.

ZEUS

Bronze
Feb 14, 2003
Mr. Racerx, there're driving schools in this part of the world. We left the caves long time ago. We're using 3G cell phones here in my beloved Republica Dominicana. I'm sure if we have 3G cell phone services, we have driving schools...

My 50 cents.

Zeus

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
now there's a real dominican for you! :)

dude, this woman is already doing good, she has 2 cars earning passive income for her with concho drivers doing all the work. better she buy another 2 cars and double her income that way.
It looks pretty from the outside, I know very well this business.
The net incomes are the driver's earning but the owner have to pay for maintenance, mechanic services and parts.
A carro publico pick up an estimated of 250. passenger / day, can you figure out how hard the drivers and the vehicles have to work?
That is not worthy....
Only have to see in what shape they are.

JJ

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
It looks pretty from the outside, I know very well this business.
The net incomes are the driver's earning but the owner have to pay for maintenance, mechanic services and parts.
A carro publico pick up an estimated of 250. passenger / day, can you figure out how hard the drivers and the vehicles have to work?
That is not worthy....
Only have to see in what shape they are.

JJ

Yo pienso la misma cosa. Ella tiene 2 y el quiere que ella compraria 2 mas. OK, pero no esta ganando bien con ese 2. Ella tenga que pagar 18000 por nuevo motor por uno de ellos. Yo estoy diciendo que para ensenarlos como manejar es manera a recibir mas ganancia con eses carros. El mayor puede conducir uno y ella el otro o cualquier cosa. Y mas importante es para ser su propia jefa. Si entiendo que la vida del chofer es duro trabajando siempre pero....yo pienso que Ud es el maestro de su negocio entonces puede hacer todas las cosas por su mismo(y guardar mas dinero a su mismo).
Y con eses carro de 20 anos? Con todo la ganacia en los bolsillos de ella, ya puede comprar una mas joven(un 1997 o algo) a hacer como taxi.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
I drove a carros publicos, I drove a taxi and never made good incomes doing this, to much money to spend in gas, maintenance and fixing the vehicles. I never saw a 1000. Pesos note in my pocket that time.
The best business I ever had was driving the minibus, some time for tourist, some time for locals, minibus service fees are profitable so your business generates good incomes especially when you drives a comfortable vehicle like the one I drove before to come to the US. in a 45 days contract doing transportation for the productor and directors crew during the film of the movie Operacion Patakon of "Nekerman Films" my net incomes was of RD. $ 95,000.
In a daily basis the minibus generates in one hour more money than a car doing Taxi services in all day for example I used to do services for "Grupo M" on Monday mornings from Satiago to Zona franca in the other side of the border by Dajabon and during the week days for employees on overtime labor at night, I used to do delivery for PUCMM (El grupo de baile and La tuna) man I can tell you that some time I was in my house all day in shorts and when one of my customers called me for sure that it was a RD$ 1000. service, look some time I did excursion for Dominicans and some times for Haitians from Santiago to Higuey fee RD$12,000. leaving from Santiago @ 3:00 am and back 2:00 pm, from Santiago to Santo Domingo all day trip $7000. frequently hired for companies to go for meetings at the principal office in SD.
Minibus is a good business but you need to do a big investment $$$ in the beginning as they are very expensive but the more important is to have people who recommend your services.

JJ