A place to relax for locals

jessilin

May 6, 2009
Hi,

Does anyone know of a nice place close to Santo Domingo, preferably Juan Dolio, where locals can go and just relax by the beach without being with all the tourists and harassed to buy things?? Somewhere like Costa del Sol, however, where you don't have to buy a membership and can pay daily.

Thanks in advance!!

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
On Sundays, Juan Dolio beach is full of Dominican families from all over. Set up your sun shade in the midst of where they are and you will only be "harassed" by the same vendors who harass them with sweets, empanadas and flias.

Then of course, there are the "finer" spots out East.

... J-D.

el forastero

Bronze
Oct 25, 2009
Sorry if I am giving it away, but the beach at Palenque is all locals, and very nice. Rocky, but a good place to get away. Several small restaurants up in the shade of the seagrapes, with lots of good food available, and no tourists. Palenque is south of San Cristobal.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Sorry if I am giving it away, but the beach at Palenque is all locals, and very nice. Rocky, but a good place to get away. Several small restaurants up in the shade of the seagrapes, with lots of good food available, and no tourists. Palenque is south of San Cristobal.

Yep, been there 5 years ago. It's not all that rocky, it's mostly stones instead of sand.
There are a number of beaches going further west after Palenque. Most with no or only little sandy stretches of beach, thus no Int'l tourists but plenty of locals BBQ'ing, cooking up sancochos and most glad to have you try some and join the fiesta. There are some yola fishers around too, which would suggest that at times, there a good chance to try some fresh seafood ought to present itself.

... J-D.

Reactions: Tamborista

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
1. Cafe del Sol is next to where Aura was - and is similar. Owned by Metro Country Club. I have been there twice. First time they said free to anyone, second time they said was only for socios, but let me in, so am not sure of the policy. It will not have beach sellers, but will not have the local flavour you are looking for either. Nice menu though and lovely beds - just like Aura.

2. The Vicini beach at Playa esmerelda in Guyacanes. Very local, no tourists, lots of food stalls, nice beach, and the little colmado opposite sells fab empanadas.

3. Public beach in old Juan Dolio. If you eat and or drink you can use sunbeds at Popeyes or Don Pedro bar. or you can rent a table and chairs or sun bed. Full of locals, both ex pat and Dominican. Always lively on the weekend. But there are a few beach sellers.

4. Local beach at the far end of Villas del mar. Nothing there but sand and sea. Take all your own food and drink (no glass bottles) and not a beach seller in sight

Matilda

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Not sure of its current name, but used to be called Embassy beach, its just a horseshoe inlet, used to get some good waves in. before you get to JD.

Know that it is probably built up some by now.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Not sure of its current name, but used to be called Embassy beach, its just a horseshoe inlet, used to get some good waves in. before you get to JD.

Know that it is probably built up some by now.

It was absolutely empty last time we drove out there, some construction going on, I think the property to the west of the beach was sold and is being developed.

AE

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

I agree, I think it's the best beach near Santo Domingo - it's easy to get to either through San Cristobal, Haina or Duveax coming off the San Cristobal-Bani highway. Food is good, be sure to try some of "Cheo's Empanadas".

Yep, been there 5 years ago. It's not all that rocky, it's mostly stones instead of sand.
There are a number of beaches going further west after Palenque. Most with no or only little sandy stretches of beach, thus no Int'l tourists but plenty of locals BBQ'ing, cooking up sancochos and most glad to have you try some and join the fiesta. There are some yola fishers around too, which would suggest that at times, there a good chance to try some fresh seafood ought to present itself.... J-D.

It's not that rocky - Playa Najayo is much worse. There are always fishermen selling fish off little stands on the little road along the beach. The restaurants always have a great selection of fish.

wont the gringita spoil it though

This gringita has been going there for about 20 years. While it is mostly locals there, I always see a lot of older Europeans [couples and singles] enjoying the beach. I think they stay the entire winter in one of the residencias.

If you use the search function you can find some photos I took in January to see how beautiful it is.

AE