Sun in the city!

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I had a lovely day up the coast towards JD on Saturday, no tourists, no music, a few locals and a lovely cool breeze. I sat in that sun for about 4 or 5hours while ordering a few beers from the calmado 100mtrs away then a strole and a quick bite to eat before returning to the hustle and bustle of the city.

Off with my clothes for a shower and ouch, can?t move my arms properly as the skin has gone so tight. OK so I get into the shower and hit the cold button as usual any time other than morning, yeeoooww, that hurts, for a moment I thought the water tank had been replaced with acid.

All day sunday, covering my body in lotions to cool and save the skin from dropping off. So how strange that I can sit in the city in my yard all day and not get so much as a tint to my skin tone, yet out of the city I burnt like a baby.

So does anyone have any idea exactly how much sun is blocked by the smog over the city, I am presuming this is the problem as I can see no other reason. Any crazy figures on just how much we miss by living in the middle of the city?

Thoughts, guestimates etc.

Last edited:

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
hmmm... let me think... oh yess the wind has an influence... the reflection of sun on water... the reflection of sun on white sand... no surrounding buildings...

and yes you are right... the smog over SD...

you do not have to be a scientist to figure this one out...:bunny:

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
I had a lovely day up the coast towards JD on Saturday, no tourists, no music, a few locals and a lovely cool breeze. I sat in that sun for about 4 or 5hours while ordering a few beers from the calmado 100mtrs away then a strole and a quick bite to eat before returning to the hustle and bustle of the city.

Off with my clothes for a shower and ouch, can?t move my arms properly as the skin has gone so tight. OK so I get into the shower and hit the cold button as usual any time other than morning, yeeoooww, that hurts, for a moment I thought the water tank had been replaced with acid.

All day sunday, covering my body in lotions to cool and save the skin from dropping off. So how strange that I can sit in the city in my yard all day and not get so much as a tint to my skin tone, yet out of the city I burnt like a baby.

So does anyone have any idea exactly how much sun is blocked by the smog over the city, I am presuming this is the problem as I can see no other reason. Any crazy figures on just how much we miss by living in the middle of the city?

Thoughts, guestimates etc.

If you consider the angle vs. the axis then you need to apply the following mathematecal formula:

1 part vodka
1 part 1800? Tequila
1 part rum
1 part gin
1 part triple sec
1 1/2 parts sweet and sour mix
1 splash Coca-Cola?

Mix ingredients together over ice in a glass. Pour into a shaker and give one brisk shake. Pour back into the glass and make sure there is a touch of fizz at the top. Garnish with lemon.

Long Island Iced Tea!

Reactions: Tamborista

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I presume when you are in the city you are constantly going in and out of the shade rather than lying in it for five hours -

"Im a rocket scientist"

Reactions: Tamborista

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
If you consider the angle vs. the axis then you need to apply the following mathematecal formula:

1 part vodka
1 part 1800? Tequila
1 part rum
1 part gin
1 part triple sec
1 1/2 parts sweet and sour mix
1 splash Coca-Cola?

Mix ingredients together over ice in a glass. Pour into a shaker and give one brisk shake. Pour back into the glass and make sure there is a touch of fizz at the top. Garnish with lemon.

Long Island Iced Tea!

One of my favorites!!!!!

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Interesting and well researched replies I am sure, although I was refering to the smog and its filtering strength, if it is actually as much a part of the block as some like to think or if it is mainly scientists looking for more reasons to get us all to hang up the keys to our 4x4s.
I can{tput it down to magnification from the water as I can sit in my pool all day without problems, the walls are white and so reflection from those would equate to that of the sand (I presume, more or less).
Alcohol could well be entered into the equation, lack of movement as people ogling is so entertaining and time flies when doing so, wind is definately more than half the sum.

And so from this response I presume an actual mathematical or seemingly logical account of how to predict sunblock through smog has yet to be seen by the gentlemen and ladies of the DR1 forums. I shall carry on my search!
:glasses: