My La caleta family is splitting up.....

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
Well, it seems my situation is resolving itself. I know may of you have read my stories on the family in La Caleta( Santo Domingo) that I try to help with rent of the house, barrels, food, clothing etc each time I go back to the DR., and I know many were concerned I was too involved and should ease back or even cut the cord altogether. Well, as fate woudl have it, the woman is now moving out of the house with the kids and back to her mother as they are fighting too much. I knew this was always going on, but there was nothing I could do about it. It seemed to happen more now that they had moved out of their tiny place with nothing into the much -bigger place I rented for them.
I gave them all they needed. He never needed to buy clothes, food, drinks whatever, I paid... and was willing and happy to do it at the time.. but as I wrote weeks ago, I have been feeling things have been getting way out of control and I was in too deep. It seemed to me they never argued so much and fought when they were worse off. I seem to have opened up a Pandora's box by covering all the stuff Juan always had to cover. Anyway- it seems like it is over ( at least for now). The family is leaving and my friend Juan will be alone in the big house. I paid two months deposit plus one to the
" lawyer" back in August last year... so I told him yesterday he has two months to find a smaller place. I think that is fair. I really do want to to ever see him or the family hurt. But fate hasa taken hold now and it seems out of my hands. I bougth a brand new fridge last year from Corripio for 12000 pesos, which I am sure he will sell ..... should I tell him to keep the cash for me ( and I will give to her) , or should I just close the chapter and move on? There is a second-hand stove, a washer -dryer, also that we bought form the compra-venta for about 3000 pesos each... I am sure he will get rid of there.. the mother will notbe able to bring these back to Samana with her. Should I insist he sell them and give me the money to bring to her? I go in 2 and half weeks to Santo Domingo... but I lied and told them that I cannot now go due to my poor economic situation right now. But I am going . Should I surprise Juan and see if he did the right thing, or sold all the items and spent iton booze? I would relaly hope not , but I know how things fly down there now that I've been there a few dozen times. In the long run I think this is going to be a very good thing and it lifts a heavy millstone from around my neck. I was torn between a life-long commitment to the kids whom I loved and financial delinquency on my part. So maybe God palyed a hand and said enough is enough.I still feel like I did something wrong... anyone got the name of a decent therapist?? So what do you all think? Should I call Juan and tell him not to sell anything till I return sowe can divide up the stuff and sell it for the good of the family, or throw in the towel an call it all quits? As of right now, no one is angry at me,...or so the text messages indicate....
cheers Mike, confused, but getting to see a bit of light at the end of the tunnel......

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
Don't hold your breath.....

Hi there,
I was one of the people who advised you to stop paying and move on, hard as it is. I hope you are in a slightly better place than you were then.
My thoughts are:-
No matter what you say to Juan he will still do what he wants to regarding the sale of the goods that you bought. If he does sell them I would be surprised if he agreed to hand over the proceeds to his esposa, but I may be wrong.
I too bought a large number of items of furniture and other goods for my friend's house and they either got sold or broken through being treated with no respect or care. "Easy come, Easy go" I am afraid seems to be the motto of many of our Dominican friends.
A large number of Dominican women take the kids and move back to Mum and then in a short space of time get back together with their men. I am not saying that this will happen in this case but it could well do. It may well be a temporary rather than a permanent arrangement.
Be aware that if you do hook up with Juan on your trip it may just open up all the old stuff again and one way or the other you could become "trapped" and feeling worse off for it. It has taken me 18 months to wean myself off my benefactor situation. I have now reached a state of being hardened enough to return and be able to refuse the requests for help.
Please think very carefully about what you do from here on and no matter what we all say and advise it is your own head and heart that you must listen to. You are the one who lives with the consequences of those actions.
;)

Rio

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
The odds are that they will get back together........
If I was you at this point, I would stand back and just wait to see what develops.
I would not interfere and communicate as little as possible.
As far as the appliances, even though you paid for them, their out of your hands.

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
The appliances were gifts so telling him how you want them sold and where the money should go isin't really fair (even though you paid for them - which was very generous). There is no doubt that he likely won't do things as you wish so save yourself the heartache and stress and distance yourself from the situation. Besides, Juan could sell the stuff for 20,000 pesos and tell you he sold it for 5,000 so you won't get the truth anyway.

Do not get involved in domestic situations in the DR, especially when you are not family and don't live there. Dominicans will be your best friend but they do not like ANYONE interfering in matters between husband and wife and you will likely get yourself into a situation that you will regret if you show your face now and get involved. Do not surprise Juan. He is a grown man and whether you helped him and the family or not, you showing up will feel like you are checking up on him (which you are).

My advice would be to go and enjoy your vacation and stay clear of the situation for now. Let the situation play out and take it's natural course and save yourself some $$$.

FM

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Best opportunity to step down and away, and only send a letter each Christmas, make it a lesson learned for you. About the appliances, you don't have a say on those, you gave that to them, not rent it or lend it, so stay out of a BIGGER problem and forget about that, in the DR when you give something, you REALLY give something, you don't have any rights at all on to given items. Step out and send a letter in Christmas, maybe a gift to the children.

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
"in the DR when you give something, you REALLY give something, you don't have any rights at all on to given items."

And many would say that when you lend something to a Dominican you have given it as you have no chance of getting it back....... lol

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
Drop 10 and punt. Go find them in 5 years and you will see they are still alive and fed. You showed them a small piece of the better life. Now they might go out and try to earn a better standard of living again. Or they might find another gringo to feel sorry for them. Either way they will get by.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Best opportunity to step down and away, and only send a letter each Christmas, make it a lesson learned for you. About the appliances, you don't have a say on those, you gave that to them, not rent it or lend it, so stay out of a BIGGER problem and forget about that, in the DR when you give something, you REALLY give something, you don't have any rights at all on to given items. Step out and send a letter in Christmas, maybe a gift to the children.

I couldn't have said it better!!!

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Never expect any money from the sale of the fridge or any other appliances back. He/they will sell it and the money will have evaporated before they even make it home from where they dumped it. After all, their privilege, you GAVE this items to them.
Still, should you not take the opportunity to vanish NOW on the horizon like the Lone Ranger... every time, they WILL come to you with a "this'n'that" story leading to them needing (your) money, you can use it as a joker card and tell them to just use the money from the sale of the appliances. Lets see how long they will value YOUR friendship after you don't re-buy them some appliances (oh yes, they will come for that, eventually).

The hubby left in the "big" house? Well easy. You cancel the rental contract and once that's done, you inform him. You helped "his wife and the kids". He's a grown up matchito, he can go conchar or what ever and find a place to crash by himself... so do Millions of Dominican men. He is not providing for his family now that they have left him, now is he?

Bottom line is, is you want to help in this country, help the kids, ONLY. You have now SEEN and experienced first hand that one CANNOT help ADULTS who are unwilling to help themselves other than giving them a chance to WORK. If they had been willing, they would not have needed your help. It's a circle.
I don't blame you for having wanted to help and tried it to the extent you did. But I think, that now, you need to learn to have learned your lesson from you experiences and move yourself accordingly.

... J-D.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
so you would have been better setting up a laundrette for the whole village to use and look after rather than buying all this stuff for one family

Mar 1, 2009
She might have left him to leave the door open for you. You showed her what a real provider is, she would probably drop him for you in a minute...Stay away...

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
OK, now the concensus says "run while you can". Fate is a strange thing and this may just be what you neded to "get out" and absolve yourself of the burdens you had assumed with respect to the family.

Dominicans are survivors...they survived before you and they will continue to survive after you, irrespective of their situations, financial or domestic.

PLEASE listen to the advise of staying out of other peoples marriages/relationships....getting involved could lead to consequences you dont want to entertain.

The DR is a big (ish) and beautiful country with so much to offer the senses to see and discover...so go and enjoy it for YOURSELF!

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
She might have left him to leave the door open for you. You showed her what a real provider is, she would probably drop him for you in a minute...Stay away...

I really believe that this is what's going on. There's a big fat goose out there with lot's of golden eggs to lay and if they can draw that goose in a little closer.....

Just like always, they'll have goose for dinner with no thought of "huevos de oro de las ma~anas". Either stop wasting your time with this or open an NGO so you can afford to continue (at a profit).

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
I really believe that this is what's going on. There's a big fat goose out there with lot's of golden eggs to lay and if they can draw that goose in a little closer.....

makes sense to me too.

now the motorconcho guy not only lost his wife and kids but may be asked to give back the stuff which they were given?

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
Re your concern about the appliances etc and where the proceeds go, I would say just let it go and fate will work itself out. I'm sure your generosity was much appreciated, however, It's always a good practice in general whether in DR or anywhere else, when you gift something to someone just let it go, it is no longer your concern. If you worry about how the gift is being used or how it was received etc you will not befefit from it. Just be glad that you are relieved from any future obligation to this family and enjoy the fond memories of the time you spent with them etc...

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
look at this from another perspective.

if you were happily married in a normal, imperfect relationship and donald trump started hanging out with your family bringing lots of gifts and spending time with you and your wife -- what do you think might happen?

Reactions: LindseyKaufman

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I may sound harsh but............

My Caleta family is splitting up ? This is Not your family !!!!!!

I know plenty of Dominican in New York city and they are not nearly as involved in their own family as you are (learn from them).

I am sure this all started with good intentions but the relationship you have these people is UNHEALTHY, to say the least.

What would you advise someone in an unhealthy relationship? Simple,cut all the ties....

You are not helping in any ways, but ruining their life. There I said it !!!!!