This country is so screwed up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
We have just been informed by a truck going around the neighborhood with a loud speaker that EdeNorte will be turning off the electric for three (3) days because some people in one of the barrios on the same grid has not been paying their electric bills.

So punish those that pay and ruin their food in the refrigerator because of others.

This country will NEVER grow up!
------------------------------------
------------------------------------

"Stupid is as stupid does" indicates that a person is judged stupid by the stupid acts he commits.

Forrest Gump.

Don

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Are these people stealing the electricity or are they people with accounts that are just not paying or are paying late. I believe you are in Santiago....

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Barrio of Santiago - Belle Vista Area

Who the people are I do not know exactly, but I think (My wife is not here right now to ask) is a section known for trouble. When she told me about it, she did not say "some people", she mentioned a specific area near us.

Why they don't cut just them off is probably because EdeNorte is afraid of them, so they are making it a general blackout. Putting in a separate (or turning off just their) feeder would probably cause EdeNorte too many problems with them.

We are in a 24/7 area and the service has been excellent for at least 2 years.
This is just their STUPID way to try to get the others to pay.

We have a diesel generator and it only takes 4-5 hours to charge the batteries.
Our diesel generator is VERY noisy!

We have never been without power one way or another in 13 years.

Three days of no electric will be difficult and expensive.

We once were off grid close to that time with a down high tension line and we were able to maintain power.

It's a hassle creating out own electric, plus much higher costs.

Don

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
RUN FORREST RUNNNNNNNN............

buy a generator or move to a middle class neighborhood, what sector are you in?
You're not in Kansas anymore!

Selling a home in the DR is not an easy thing to do, unless perhaps it's a tin shanty......

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
SantiagoDR,
Don't fret just yet... remember what country you're in. It's quite possible the truck driver drove down the wrong street. Hope that's the case! :cheeky:

Reactions: waytogo

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
I was just in Ochoa picking up some electrical wiring supplies and there was a guy at the counter trying to buy cables for inverter batteries. The guy at Ochoa told him they were out because everybody is buying inverters now because blackouts are so bad. Seems there are no terminals to be had anywhere.

That may not be true because I gave him an address where he could pick up some extras I have for free but he never showed up. Couldn't be that hard to find if he can pass up free ones.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Yeah I wouldn't worry too much. That's just their way of trying to get more people to pay. If they are afraid of the people in that barrio then trust me they will not turn it off for 3 days straight...

I have a house in a similar barrio. The posts and electric wires were paid for by the neighborhood, but pretty much everyone connects for free. They have tried to go in and take the transformer, wires, etc and were run out of there by the people. Every now and then they go in and threaten to put everyone in jail. I would be a prime target as I have the largest house in the hood, but I have yet to pay a penny and my grandpa who lives in my house just tells them that he's just watching the house (which he is) thus he cannot get a contract out...

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
One of the points that some may miss is that "EdeNorte can do that" and get a way with it.
The part about announcing cutting everyone else off to get at the ones that don't pay.

Guess they expect the rest of us to go after the non-payers for them.
They are perhaps trying to push the people toward vigilante justice.

What a great country this is turning into!

CobraBoy, my understanding from the wife was that it is a "section" that is not paying, not so much "individual". I will ask her again when she gets home.

Meanwhile I am stocking the freezer and refrigerator with water bottles, preparing to turn off unnecessary items such as decorative lighting, etc. to help cut down the inverter load.

Don

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
We had a similar if not sever a problem in the Gurabo area. Edenorte had good service until they started blackouts that were lasting 8 hours a day. It turns out our transformer was below the rate of power paid vs power output that causes Edenorte to do stuff like this.

We, the junta de vecinos, coordinated a meeting with Edenorte and told them if they sent us power and fixed our lines that we would notify them of when people in our subdivision are robbing power. While the transformer in our area served more than just our subdivision nonetheless apparently Edenorte liked the idea and returned to sending power to us in addition to installing the better cables. Also, the better cables are put much higher on the poles which really cut down on robbing as it becomes very difficult to create a wooden ladder tall and safe enough.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Who the people are I do not know exactly, but I think (My wife is not here right now to ask) is a section known for trouble. When she told me about it, she did not say "some people", she mentioned a specific area near us.

Why they don't cut just them off is probably because EdeNorte is afraid of them, so they are making it a general blackout. Putting in a separate (or turning off just their) feeder would probably cause EdeNorte too many problems with them.

We are in a 24/7 area and the service has been excellent for at least 2 years.
This is just their STUPID way to try to get the others to pay.

We have a diesel generator and it only takes 4-5 hours to charge the batteries.
Our diesel generator is VERY noisy!

We have never been without power one way or another in 13 years.

Three days of no electric will be difficult and expensive.

We once were off grid close to that time with a down high tension line and we were able to maintain power.

It's a hassle creating out own electric, plus much higher costs.

Don

Can I ask a stupid question? Can a super efficient Honda or Yamaha 3000W gas generator (converted to propane) keep the batteries charged for a lot less fuel? And much more quietly? like this one= Honda EU3000is Super Quiet Generator, Barely Used! - eBay (item 140399820083 end time Apr-22-10 17:42:14 PDT)

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I would say yes if you are talking about a 4 to 8 battery system. I do that with a 2,500 watt Yamaha generator running Gasoline. I have thought of converting it to propane, which is possible for the model I have.
How do you connect it to your inverter/charger?

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
I would say yes if you are talking about a 4 to 8 battery system. I do that with a 2,500 watt Yamaha generator running Gasoline. I have thought of converting it to propane, which is possible for the model I have.

Which Yamaha do you have? I ASS-U-MEd all gas generators could be converted to gas. And how do you connect it to the inverter?

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I use a manual transfer switch. The switch is normally connected to street power, but when I run the generator I flip a knife switch over to run everything from the generator.
The generator is hardwired into the house circuitry? I got the impression your generator was a portable one...

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
My generator is portable also, but I use a long power plug cable to connect it to the house system, also using a knife switch to change back and forth.

Vacara

I love AZB!
May 5, 2009
Yeah I wouldn't worry too much. That's just their way of trying to get more people to pay. If they are afraid of the people in that barrio then trust me they will not turn it off for 3 days straight...

I have a house in a similar barrio. The posts and electric wires were paid for by the neighborhood, but pretty much everyone connects for free. They have tried to go in and take the transformer, wires, etc and were run out of there by the people. Every now and then they go in and threaten to put everyone in jail. I would be a prime target as I have the largest house in the hood, but I have yet to pay a penny and my grandpa who lives in my house just tells them that he's just watching the house (which he is) thus he cannot get a contract out...

Mr. Suarezn; from your post I got the impression that you (or your grandpa) are not paying for electricity, it's that correct?.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Here is a company that sells gasoline to propane/natural gas conversions:

Generator Conversion Kits to Propane and Natural Gas.
Keep in mind that you will lose up to 20% of the generator output by converting to propane, similar to a gasoline-to-propane automobile conversion.

That 2500w is now a 2kw genset.

I had a propane whole house genset in FL of 13.5kw. The same model on gasoline is 16.5kw.

Status
Not open for further replies.