residency

Norteman

Dec 15, 2008
What is the easy way for a Canadian seeking residency to obtain the necessary Police check from home country, when I am living in the DR.
My lawyer says its needed, others say only the DR one is needed as it does a worldwide check.
Can anyone shed light on this, specifically Canadians who have completed Temp Res.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
What is the easy way for a Canadian seeking residency to obtain the necessary Police check from home country, when I am living in the DR.
My lawyer says its needed, others say only the DR one is needed as it does a worldwide check.
Can anyone shed light on this, specifically Canadians who have completed Temp Res.

I take it you don't trust your lawyer?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

The time you spent waiting for an answer you could have used the search function and found what info you need. It just so happens I emailed a friend information from a reply on residencia. The reply is posted in one of the DR1 residencia threads.

Here is what was posted:

New notification
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I saw a new notification in the office of migracion today. From March 1, 2010 persons applying for the temporal residency has to get the certificate of good conduct from the country where he born or from the country where he lives for the past five years.

Why are you paying a lawyer if you are not going to believe what they say?

Norteman

Dec 15, 2008
The time you spent waiting for an answer you could have used the search function and found what info you need. It just so happens I emailed a friend information from a reply on residencia. The reply is posted in one of the DR1 residencia threads.

Here is what was posted:

New notification
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I saw a new notification in the office of migracion today. From March 1, 2010 persons applying for the temporal residency has to get the certificate of good conduct from the country where he born or from the country where he lives for the past five years.

Why are you paying a lawyer if you are not going to believe what they say?

I appreciate your help on info and the dig regarding my lawyer relationships....i was alwys taught better to doublecheck before going to such extreme measures as fly back to Canada for a peice of paper--trusting everything a Dominican lawyer says? am i the only one here that thinks that goes without saying...Such much for cheap residency when you must add the return trip..oh well
I will try the CDN Embassy for their opinion.

Last edited:

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
I posted last year and warned folk the Residency laws were going to change, It is now taking well over a year to obtain and it you have a lawyer that says otherwise, do not trust him. Your consular here will help with the letter you require you do not need to go back to Canada.
Interpol checks have been in force for some time now when you apply.

Norteman

Dec 15, 2008
It now takes over a year to get provisional residency? I guess DR1 has to change it's FAQ because it says it takes 6 months. Why does it now take a year?

No doubt. My lawyer who has been recommended by many on the forum here, told me 3-4 months. But then again i should "trust what my lawyer says" and just go with it and hope she is right.

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010
It takes exactly four months to get the permit provided you had submitted with all the documents needed.

jcrew20

Jun 22, 2005
I applied for my Dominican Residency in Feb. My lawyer called today and said that I need a police report. Anyone know where I can get one?

Taylor

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Jan 28, 2005
local police branch

if you do a search on police clearance letter in your home town, you should find the answer. in canada it's the main police station in each city

Adol

May 12, 2010
You mean Good Behaviour certificate (Buena conducta)? You must go to the Procuraduria on The Maximo Gomez Avenue..330 pesos.

That is if you apply for a permanent residency, you just show your cedula and have your paper within 20mn.

If you don't have a cedula yet, you would have to show your passport, still 330 pesos, but it takes 5 labor days.

But if you don't have a cedula, you may apply for the provisional residency, aren't you..?
In this case, since january, they ask for YOUR country's paper, with apostille on. Where are you from?

Last edited:

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
if you do a search on police clearance letter in your home town, you should find the answer. in canada it's the main police station in each city
Unless things have changed, only the RCMP can issue that. Your local Mountie Detachment would confirm that. As for you getting from here, good luck as they need your fingerprints.

Adol

May 12, 2010
But once again, if you already have a cedula/you're in their system, the procuraduria could issue the paper you need..If it's for the permanent residency, it's OK as I just did a month ago. If it's for provisional -> national way (apostille/translation..)

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
and just curious,
your lawyer needed 3 months just to find out that he still does not even have the needed documents in hand to start your residency process?
that one will take for ever.
good luck
Mike

drgringo

Apr 25, 2009
Unless things have changed, only the RCMP can issue that. Your local Mountie Detachment would confirm that. As for you getting from here, good luck as they need your fingerprints.

i have gone to the RCMP twice in the past for this document, neither time did they fingerprint.

jcrew20

Jun 22, 2005
Thanks for the help. I am from the United States, but I have been living in the Dominican Republic for the couple of years. I thought is was about time, that I got my Dominican Residency. My friends all used the same lawyer and it was a simple process. Passport, Birth cert. and $1,000. 3 months later you had a Dominican Residency. Can a get a letter of good conduct in the Dominican Republic or do I have to fly back to the US? Also, my lawyer said that my Birth Cert. needs to be stamp. Can I do that at the us embassy?

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Thanks for the help. I am from the United States, but I have been living in the Dominican Republic for the couple of years. I thought is was about time, that I got my Dominican Residency. My friends all used the same lawyer and it was a simple process. Passport, Birth cert. and $1,000. 3 months later you had a Dominican Residency. Can a get a letter of good conduct in the Dominican Republic or do I have to fly back to the US? Also, my lawyer said that my Birth Cert. needs to be stamp. Can I do that at the us embassy?

Speak to your lawyer on this as they may have connections to help getting the police report without travelling, or contact the USA Embassy here and pose the question. Some recent changes on this element passed a few months back. Same on getting your birth cert apostilled, can be done from here.
my 2 cents but im not a lawyer

Reactions: Bronxboy

jcrew20

Jun 22, 2005
Thanks for the help. My lawyer offered no advice on how to solve the problem. I feel like I just wasted a $1,000.