Gym and friendship

Samantha18

Jun 7, 2003
Hi,

I am living in Sto Dgo for 3 months and am looking for a gym here...But can't find one. I live in Zona universitaria. Does anyone know a gym here or not so far from there?I work until 5 pm and have to get home with public busses.
Are there any gyms with classes of aerobic ore something similar?
And how about the prices?
Or are there other possibilities to do some sports?

Also, I find it very hard to make friends, as I am alone here. Where are good places for me to go to?I'm a young student. Men are always interested in love, not in friendship.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Hi,

I am living in Sto Dgo for 3 months and am looking for a gym here...But can't find one. I live in Zona universitaria. Does anyone know a gym here or not so far from there?I work until 5 pm and have to get home with public busses.
Are there any gyms with classes of aerobic ore something similar?
And how about the prices?
Or are there other possibilities to do some sports?

Also, I find it very hard to make friends, as I am alone here. Where are good places for me to go to?I'm a young student. Men are always interested in love, not in friendship.

The University and a gym are smart locations to meet interesting people.
There are many smaller or non-brand name gyms all over the country. While I wouldn't be the one able to point one out to you, I am certain Santo Doming will be no exception.
There's also a Gold's Gym next to the Piatini neighborhood.

Gold's is the upscale "hip" location to go to. Their rates will be far more expensive than what you would expect in the US nowadays.

Some of the shore front hotels also let non-guests use their gyms for a fee, but maybe not the ideal location to meet a lot of locals.

If you are a female, as your handle would suggest, I'd recommend you first make some quality female friends from "good" families before you surround yourself with the local boys.
If you are studying in the UASD, let me know by PM, I might be able to hook you up with somebody (female) studying there too.

... J-D.

Reactions: margaret

JessicaRabbit

Sep 21, 2009
Men are always interested in love, not in friendship.

No, they are interested in something they not always associate with love...

I've tried many times to make friends with men - experiments failed.. All..:( Shame though, guys are better friends...

So no, there is no friendship possible between man and nice looking woman. Period.

Reactions: RacerX

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004

I've tried many times to make friends with men - experiments failed.. All..:( Shame though, guys are better friends...

So no, there is no friendship possible between man and nice looking woman. Period.

Sadly true and exceptions prove the rule:
I AM friends (only) with a professional Dominicana. We've know each other for over 4 years. She is an architect and we have also managed to work together and still be friends. Sometimes she comes from Santo Domingo to my home in Puerto Plata for vacations for a couple of days (and obviously, NIGHTS! Imagine!). The situation MUST be exotic, even her family who knows me, CANNOT believe that we truly do not even only have a casual sexual relationship. That's the way they think of men and women (even their well doing daughter) alike. It must be the experience.

Hence, my suggestion to make good quality female friends first. That's difficult enough as many like to gossip and mimic Telenovelas (Latino soap operas).

... J-D.

Reactions: RacerX

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Hotel Santo Domingo has a gym open to non-guests and is in the Zona Universitaria.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

Absolutely not always true. My best friend from early high school until I moved to the other side of the country at age 24 is a very attractive woman. I was best man at her wedding ( her hubby is also a very good friend) and 30 years later we are still good friends. She cried on my shoulder many a time about guys and gave me advice about women all the time.

Samantha18

Jun 7, 2003
Thank you all for the answers.
Very interesting, so now I know that I can't have male friends. What a pity, I got to know my neighbor, who is such an interesting and intelligent person, we had discussions during the whole night about literature etc. But I told him I don't want anything else than friendship and he fell in love with me. Now we don't even talk.:ermm:

Gold's Gym is too expensive, I think. Thanks for the information about Hotel Santo Domingo, it's not so far from me. I will ask about the prices.
Somebody told me about Centro Olimpico, somebody went there to do some sports?And I think at night it is dangerous to get back home?

Making some quality female friends sounds good, but where?

BabyBlu

Jan 20, 2004
I belong to a gym called Nuevo Creacion (sp?), They just moved to a new location right across from the Modelo Market on Ave. Mella. The gym is on the 5th and 6th floors with amzing views of the ocean and Colonial Zone, and the have a ton of Cardio and weight machines. The inscription was $ 1000 RD, then $600 RD monthly. That also includes arobic,spining, and kickboxing classes if you are interested in those.

Samantha18

Jun 7, 2003
@BabyBlu: That sounds perfect!Mella isn't so far from me if I take a carrito after work.
And the prices are ok for a student's budget.
I think I know where the Markt is. Could you tell where it is exactly?
Yes, I used to do such classes in my country. Thanks for the advice!

Gay bars?Seriously??
I am 25 and I think my Spanish is pretty good. But I'd love to practise it more. It isn't my first visit to this country, but my first time alone and in la capital.

arg1118

Mar 11, 2010
Gay bar seriously

I am no expert, but I thought a girl's best friend, next to diamonds, were supposed to be homosexual males.

I know of so many girls who pined over wanting to have a gay (male) best friend because they were just as good or better than female friends.

In any case, good luck with your stay in DR and making friends. :bunny::bunny:

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
Gay bars would seem a place gays go to in the hopes to find a date.
While I don't doubt the seriousness of the suggestion, I fear that factor was not taken into account.
That is not to say that gays can be good or even better friends.

I have no doubt, that it will eventually be Samatha's interest in activities (student, interested in joining a gym) will eventually help her to some interesting friendships.

... J-D

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
on the other hand straight men in the uk have now started going to gay nightclubs due to the amount of available straight ladies that go there....so you probably cant win.
They may not have cottoned on to this here yet