Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about luggage

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Question about luggage

I am travelling to Punta Cana on May 1st for 2 weeks. We are travelling with Westjet, so they allow 2 checked bags, and an additional bag for humanitarian aid. We currently each have 2 bags of humanitarian things and one personal bag, so 3 bags each. This has been approved by the airline, but I'm just wondering if we will be given any problems bringing this many suitcases into the country. In the past we have brought down gifts for schools/orphanages and had 2 bags each, but never 3. Does anyone know if we will have any problems bringing 3 suitcases each into the DR??? Thanks.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

My wife and I brought 10 bags between 3 people and there were no problems at customs. We do this almost every year.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for the response. I didn't think it would be a problem, but just wanted to make sure after having spent so much money on everything. Thanks again.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

no problems with the number of suitcases as long as the stuff inside does not violate and import laws, like many Meds etc.
    i am actually connecting with some people in Punta Cana to maybe even open the way to send such larger donations down here.
    my past time experience with Customs been very negative, since 3 years i have 40 large baseball bags at the PC airport Customs, storage fees been many hyndred bucks til today, and the donations are still in there. all bags contain only baseball equipment and are acompanied by a letter from the Dominican Embassador in Ottawa who declared those specific 40 bags a Donation to the DR Children free of charges by Customs.
    you as a visitor will not have a problem with extra suitcases you bring in with yourself.
    thanks a lot for your assistance of the children
    Mike

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mxcutie View Post
    I am travelling to Punta Cana on May 1st for 2 weeks. We are travelling with Westjet, so they allow 2 checked bags, and an additional bag for humanitarian aid. We currently each have 2 bags of humanitarian things and one personal bag, so 3 bags each. This has been approved by the airline, but I'm just wondering if we will be given any problems bringing this many suitcases into the country. In the past we have brought down gifts for schools/orphanages and had 2 bags each, but never 3. Does anyone know if we will have any problems bringing 3 suitcases each into the DR??? Thanks.
    I wouldnt anticipate problems per se, but be prepared they may stop you and check your luggage. When I brought in some luggage earlier this year for the same purpose containing gently-used clothing, they took a quiick look in just one of my suitcases and off I went. I did explain in Spanish that it was used clothing for Haiti and they were fine.

Nice gesture and good luck.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Go through immigration, collect your luggage and walk out of the airport right past customs like you own the place, they seldom stop anyone.

I often wonder why they are there?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

that's not correct WUD,
    the random checks are always on and specific airplanes get all luggages searched.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.MikeFisherPuntaCana.com
    [email protected]
    Punta Cana/Cap Cana/Dominican Republic
    Mike Fisher Facebook Group on

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFisher View Post
    that's not correct WUD,
    the random checks are always on and specific airplanes get all luggages searched.
    Mike
    Since I fly in very frequently, I agree.(although not to PUJ but was once stopped there when I brought in some donations a few years back). It is random and even when they have had a very brief look at my luggage, there has never been a problem. It doesnt bother me in the slightest...they are only doing their job.
    I think it attracts attention when individual travellers have large amounts of luggage. I find them pretty mild-mannered compared with some NA airports.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

correct,
    single travellers like often myself attract more attention to the authorities than a family. when arriving in germany i get much more detailed searched each trip than all trips together here in PC.
    compared to aboroad checks the ones here are very smooth and staff's behaviors from my own personal experience much more human and professional than some experiences during my US Travels.
    they do their job but they do not bother.
    Mike

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I usually fly in with Westjet but to POP and always have the 5 bags in total that I'm allowed to as well.
    I've had them checked occasionally but never a problem-sometimes a few quick questions and I'm on my way....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast