Question about luggage

mxcutie

Jan 12, 2010
I am travelling to Punta Cana on May 1st for 2 weeks. We are travelling with Westjet, so they allow 2 checked bags, and an additional bag for humanitarian aid. We currently each have 2 bags of humanitarian things and one personal bag, so 3 bags each. This has been approved by the airline, but I'm just wondering if we will be given any problems bringing this many suitcases into the country. In the past we have brought down gifts for schools/orphanages and had 2 bags each, but never 3. Does anyone know if we will have any problems bringing 3 suitcases each into the DR??? Thanks.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
My wife and I brought 10 bags between 3 people and there were no problems at customs. We do this almost every year.

mxcutie

Jan 12, 2010
Thanks so much for the response. I didn't think it would be a problem, but just wanted to make sure after having spent so much money on everything. Thanks again.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
no problems with the number of suitcases as long as the stuff inside does not violate and import laws, like many Meds etc.
i am actually connecting with some people in Punta Cana to maybe even open the way to send such larger donations down here.
my past time experience with Customs been very negative, since 3 years i have 40 large baseball bags at the PC airport Customs, storage fees been many hyndred bucks til today, and the donations are still in there. all bags contain only baseball equipment and are acompanied by a letter from the Dominican Embassador in Ottawa who declared those specific 40 bags a Donation to the DR Children free of charges by Customs.
you as a visitor will not have a problem with extra suitcases you bring in with yourself.
thanks a lot for your assistance of the children
Mike

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
I am travelling to Punta Cana on May 1st for 2 weeks. We are travelling with Westjet, so they allow 2 checked bags, and an additional bag for humanitarian aid. We currently each have 2 bags of humanitarian things and one personal bag, so 3 bags each. This has been approved by the airline, but I'm just wondering if we will be given any problems bringing this many suitcases into the country. In the past we have brought down gifts for schools/orphanages and had 2 bags each, but never 3. Does anyone know if we will have any problems bringing 3 suitcases each into the DR??? Thanks.

I wouldnt anticipate problems per se, but be prepared they may stop you and check your luggage. When I brought in some luggage earlier this year for the same purpose containing gently-used clothing, they took a quiick look in just one of my suitcases and off I went. I did explain in Spanish that it was used clothing for Haiti and they were fine.

Nice gesture and good luck.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
that's not correct WUD,
the random checks are always on and specific airplanes get all luggages searched.
Mike

Since I fly in very frequently, I agree.(although not to PUJ but was once stopped there when I brought in some donations a few years back). It is random and even when they have had a very brief look at my luggage, there has never been a problem. It doesnt bother me in the slightest...they are only doing their job.
I think it attracts attention when individual travellers have large amounts of luggage. I find them pretty mild-mannered compared with some NA airports.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
correct,
single travellers like often myself attract more attention to the authorities than a family. when arriving in germany i get much more detailed searched each trip than all trips together here in PC.
compared to aboroad checks the ones here are very smooth and staff's behaviors from my own personal experience much more human and professional than some experiences during my US Travels.
they do their job but they do not bother.
Mike

Sunflower333

May 25, 2009
I usually fly in with Westjet but to POP and always have the 5 bags in total that I'm allowed to as well.
I've had them checked occasionally but never a problem-sometimes a few quick questions and I'm on my way....

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
I have found if you fly in direct from Canada there is nobody checking anything....if you fly in from the US, there are tons of people randomly searching bags.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
I have found if you fly in direct from Canada there is nobody checking anything....if you fly in from the US, there are tons of people randomly searching bags.

Although I have flown more from the US than from Canada direct, I havent noticed a difference. Most recently, I have been using Westjet and as Sunflower points out, they do have a generous baggage allowance and most us take advantage of that;). Like her, they have done a quick "once over" and I have been on my way.

In my experience, have had the same experience when flying in with Jetblue.

Guess you must have an "innocent" look:cheeky:

mxcutie

Jan 12, 2010
Thank you so much for all your replies. Puts my mind at ease. We have spent quite a bit of money purchasing school supplies, clothes and other new items, and I just didn't want to see them get stuck at the airport or anything. I can't wait to get down there and start giving out the things we have brought...only 9 more days!!! Thanks again!

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
Although I have flown more from the US than from Canada direct, I havent noticed a difference. Most recently, I have been using Westjet and as Sunflower points out, they do have a generous baggage allowance and most us take advantage of that;). Like her, they have done a quick "once over" and I have been on my way.

In my experience, have had the same experience when flying in with Jetblue.

Guess you must have an "innocent" look:cheeky:

Yes it is quite possible LOL!

In all my trips I have only had my bag checked once flying in on AA via Miami back in 2007. (now entering Canada on my return is a completely different story!!)

Most flights in to POP direct from Canada, there is barely anyone around except people cleaning the bathrooms ;).

If it is luck...I hope it continues :)

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I've asked another member this question in private email, but I'll ask here too.

I'm buying a condo in P.C., and I'd like to bring a bunch of small stuff from home (U.S.) to outfit the new place, (linens, kitchen gear, etc. etc.). Although this isn't for humanitarian purposes (this time), I'm wondering what issues I might face with customs. I've been told to attach a complete list of the contents of each bag/box, in English and Spanish, along with a statement that it's all personal items for the condo, and that there should be no problems.

I know there are exemptions for permanent residence people, or for D.R. citizens; but I don't fall into those categories ... still just a "tourist" for now. Would like to hear any experiences with this.

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
I've asked another member this question in private email, but I'll ask here too.

I'm buying a condo in P.C., and I'd like to bring a bunch of small stuff from home (U.S.) to outfit the new place, (linens, kitchen gear, etc. etc.). Although this isn't for humanitarian purposes (this time), I'm wondering what issues I might face with customs. I've been told to attach a complete list of the contents of each bag/box, in English and Spanish, along with a statement that it's all personal items for the condo, and that there should be no problems.

I know there are exemptions for permanent residence people, or for D.R. citizens; but I don't fall into those categories ... still just a "tourist" for now. Would like to hear any experiences with this.

Listen, we bring stuff (to POP) all the time that would be classified as "household items" like linens, kitchen appliances, etc. and we even brought a full desktop computer last year and we have had no problems (yet). The trick is to pack that stuff under your clothes. We had the computer and flat screen monitor in our carry-on bags. I was asked as I left the security area at POP airport to open my bag for the immigration guy to look (probably because I had so much luggage because I take it all and my husband just carries some small bag because he is Dominican so we seperate and hope that I will look like a tourist). I was very nervous because I had the computer in my carry-on and didn't want them to see it. I opened the bag, he was only half paying attention, I pretended I spoke to Spanish and away I went.