Pto Plta to Samana - What is the best way

TrueNorthLady

Apr 22, 2010
Hi! New to this forum but not to the Dominican. I speak spanish and have travelled back and forth to Pto Plta for past 25 years. This June I am coming with some friends and our return flight to Canada is from Samana..(trying new service to there by Westjet)..

It has been 20+ years since I have been to Samana and I am looking for advice on how to go there from Pto Plta., a reasonable place to make reservations for one night and places we should try to see while there for 24 hours? Also, what is the driving time from Pto Plta to Samana..(I am guessing about 4 hours but not sure?).

Any and all help would be appreciated.....many thanks!:cheeky:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Least expensive are the public buses that go from POP to Samana. There is one that leaves POP about 6:30 am from, I believe, the big public hospital at the entrance to POP from Sosua.

Yes, figure around 4 hours

TrueNorthLady

Apr 22, 2010
Thanks very much! By public bus are you meaning the Guagas? Is there a service from Pto Plta to Samana on the large buses....?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Travel Time

Glad to hear WestJet is going into el Catey..... we need more flights there to get that airport active.

The Samana airport (el Catey) is closer to Pto Plata than Samana itself.... 3 hour trip will do it..... almost 4 if starting at Samana itself

Where does WestJet go to from Samana/el Catey?

TrueNorthLady

Apr 22, 2010
Okay so now I am confused :cheeky: The airport is closer to Puerto Plata than Samana? Where would one recommend that you stay that is close to the airport. We leave our resort one day and thought we would move closer to the airport, stay overnight and take in some of the country closer to the Samana airport. Now I am not sure what we should do...!

West Jet is flying from Toronto to Samana as of June 2010. I am not sure if they are going direct from Montreal or Calgary but you can check their website to see....

Thanks!

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
El catey is close to Samana and about a 3 hour ride to Puerto Plata (by car).

If you fly back from El catey, you could stay for the night at Las Terrenas (which is about a 40 min ride to El catey). You won't be disappointed.

Hope it helps!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
El catey is close to Samana and about a 3 hour ride to Puerto Plata (by car).

If you fly back from El catey, you could stay for the night at Las Terrenas (which is about a 40 min ride to El catey). You won't be disappointed.

Hope it helps!

Yes, the airport is on the Pto Plata side of Samana.... 1/2hr from Samana, 3 hr from Pto Plata
The las Terranas idea is a good one but involves driving PAST the airport by the 40-50 sugeested and then driving back to the airport

Cabrera is on the way to the airport .... 1 1/2 hrs from POP and 1 hour from the Samana airport
La Catalina is a small , respectable hotel (about $100) to stay fro the nite and thenfinish the drive to el Catey
They have a website

It all dependds on how much driving you want to do

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
It has been 20+ years since I have been to Samana and I am looking for advice on how to go there from Pto Plta., a reasonable place to make reservations for one night and places we should try to see while there for 24 hours? Also, what is the driving time from Pto Plta to Samana..(I am guessing about 4 hours but not sure?).

That is the reason why I suggested Las Terrenas to the OP. I thought she was interested in the Samana peninsula.

I fly from Puerto Plata when I stay in Las Terrenas, so I didn t think, it would be such a hassle to stay in LT to fly from El Catey.

Also, Cabrera being so close to POP, she could see it on a day trip from POP.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Thanks very much! By public bus are you meaning the Guagas? Is there a service from Pto Plta to Samana on the large buses....?

No, not guaguas. The bus that leaves POP about 6:30 am leaves Samana at 2 pm is a Japanese bus, a regular bus, bat smaller than Metro or Caribe Tours

There is no Caribe Tours or Metro service from POP to Samana. There was bus service for awhile, but not enough business to make it pay.

There is also another bus, like the one described, but don't know its schedule. I think it leaves Samana in AM and goes to POP in PM, but not sure about that.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
There is a guagua leaving Samana to POP at 11am daily. It is 4 hours and includes a stop for restrooms and beverages in Nagua.

TrueNorthLady

Apr 22, 2010
Thanks to all for your help. I am definitely thinking to go to Samanda by Taxi the day before we fly out from El Catey Airport. I finally found the airport on the map and was surprised it was so far from the City. I will try to find a nice place for us 4 to stay in the night before we leave and then find transport to the airport for 3 p.m.

I have told my co travellers it will just be another dominican adventure and I am sure we will have fun! Thanks to all for your info and advice.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
LT to AZS = 32 km / 20 miles

The las Terranas idea is a good one but involves driving PAST the airport by the 40-50 sugeested and then driving back to the airport

Huh?
From LT you drive to Sanchez and then on towards Nagua.
On that route (after approx. 15 km beyond Sanchez) you will pass by the entrance to El Catey airport.

donP