Anyone have a report on the new La Sirena?

Spec Ed Teacher

Apr 21, 2009
I came to see if anyone had checked out & reported on the new La Sirena on the Autopista? I was shocked not to find anything on it yet! News is always on here first ;)
It is messing up the traffic but in spite of my curiosity I will wait a few weeks to go have a look myself - just thought I'd see if anyone had gone yet?
Yesterday was an "invitation/guest list only" day. Husband had a nice chat with a security guard that he said spoke "impeccable English" while out for his walk last night. Open to the public starting 8am this morning.

Reactions: mike l

noni

Mar 30, 2009
somewhat impressive

I felt like I was entering a USA walmart for a second but then I heard someone speak cibaeno and then I realized I was in Santiago of the DR. Very overcrowded, great specials and tons of traffic. As one enters there is a Claro, Viva and Tricom, a cleaners, a yogurt and Helado Bon shop and I think there is a bank, I am not sure, I must say the customer service was very impressive let?s see how long it will last. An unbelievable amount of security.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I went there today and I second it that they have taken their cues from either a Walmart or Kmart stateside. Traffic won't be any fun for some time at least as people seemed to think they could just park in the main driveways.

ada

Feb 2, 2005
It was way tooo crowded today!!! I don't think there are enough parking spots. They have a lot of good sales and beautiful items for the home. I think I'll go back in a couple of weeks when hopefully it's less crowded.

Spec Ed Teacher

Apr 21, 2009
Thanks! We're hoping to check it out this afternoon - hopefully we will be able to move around ;) We are going to walk over as the traffic around there the last few days has been CRAZY let alone trying to find a spot to park. Not far to walk and will help me not buy too much as well ;)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I think they made a great move.

the demographics of that part of Santiago is all up-scale. Many, many folks from the States, and many Dominicans who have excellent jobs. There is truly a ton of money in the area. What many might not know is that it is also fairly close to a lot of lower income area which have access north through the Embrujo area. The folks from the south part of Santiago will find it a bit closer, perhaps than La Sirena on Bartolom? Col?n, or Calle del Sol.

Happy "chopping"

HB

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Are there any pictures? I am in the States for a few weeks and I will love to see the new Sirena.;)

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Can someone say exactly where it is?

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
This is the exact direction:
Autopista Duarte esquina Av. Rafael Vidal / Calle 20 El Embrujo Primero Santiago.
That the big lot between the two entries of El Embrujo primero right in front of Nevesa.

JJ

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Bad traffic location for a supermarket for anyone going northwest as Rafael Vidal is a main cut across road to and from the Autopista. They really need to finish that proposed loop around Santiago.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
We went by about 12:10pm today.

Way to many cars right now, so we went back to La Sirena on Bartolom? Col?n to shop.
I was willing to brave it, but the wife said no.

She said I could go back tomorrow by myself. ;) lol

Don

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I had to park on autopista duarte. There were no parkings and grid lock inside the lot. The super market was full, people were packed in shoulder to shoulder. there were 40 minutes wait on the checkout lines. The lines were so huge to the cash register that I calmly put down my stuff and changed my mind to shop there. Completely impossible to move a cart around. In simple words: finally the barrio folks got their pricesmart that they have been waiting for so long.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
2n0kl5x.jpg

2qwzjfr.jpg

2ykn7a1.jpg

ru88ar.jpg

2j4vjud.jpg

2dgp7yv.jpg

sdo5qd.jpg

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Look at the lines for the checkout, its just crazy. santiagoDR you did the right thing, went somewhere else. I got hit by some car while I was parked. I didn't even know it until I got home and saw the paint of another car on the side of my car and a \little dent.
So it was not worth it at all. Its the super market the chopos have been waiting for all their lives. I will stay away from there.
AZB

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Thanks for posting the pictures Aftab.

I hope the same dummy that bought the shopping carts at La Sirena on Bartolom? Col?n did not buy the shopping carts at the new store.

At La Sirena on Bartolom? Col?n the shopping carts are too wide and one constantly runs into things from the side, plus two of them don't fit down the check out lanes, side by side.

It really hurts when the shopping cart comes to a sudden stop as you are pushing it around the store.

From the pictures, it looks like the check out lanes are single file, not one lane for two registers as in La Sirena on Bartolom? Col?n.

Don

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
It was a total mess there and a total loss for me. I got hit while I was parked and I didn't get to buy things that were on special. The checkout lines we stretching all the way to the back of the store. No one could walk without rubbing shoulders with people in aisles. Shopping carts were all in a grid lock and when i come out running scared from the store I found out my car was hit (well, when I reached home).
The place is huge but filled with barrio chopos. I am staying away from this place.
AZB

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Wasn't aware of the new La Sirena opening yesterday. Went to the old La Sirena on Bartolom? Col?n and mentioned to my girlfriend I wonder why the store is empty. Maybe 20 cars in the parking lot and it was a pleasure. Will wait for the excitement to die down and check it out one night about an hour before they close........and take a taxi.
Maybe they will carry the one thing I have been unable to find anywhere, horseradish for homemade shrimp sauce.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Looks like AZB have a chopo cellphone just look the quality of his pictures compared with Pichardo's post.

JJ

Reactions: Vacara