Chain link fencing?

Britcouple

Aug 13, 2009
Hi guys, well we finally made it from the uk but our life is being made miserable by being unable to find anywhere where we can buy 20meters of 6ft high chain link fencing!:surprised otherwise things are going great! We would greatly apreciate it if anyone knows where we could get some on the North coast, we have tried Ochoa in Santiago but they said they don't do it anymore. Many thanks in advance.
Britcouple

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Not sure about spelling, but it is called "Maya cyclone"

Linares fereteria in Cabarete sells it. I think they do 6ft high. I know they do 4ft high as I bought some last year.

It's the green plastic coated stuff like this:
chainlink11.180162056_large.jpg

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Very expensive, I believe - correct me if I am wrong please.... could be cheaper to build a block wall?

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
Very expensive, I believe - correct me if I am wrong please.... could be cheaper to build a block wall?

What exactly are your trying to keep out? or close in?.
Block walls can be effective... and cheap.
CG

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
In Puerto Plata, try Ing Edgar Mart?nez, CxA, the building suppliers on Avenida Manolo Tavares Justo (the main road which goes to Costambar). Tel: 809 586-4303. Phone first to check they have enough in stock.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
There are three others that I would think would have this. If you haven't found it by Tuesday of next week & you want a trip round all three that I am thinking of, PM me & we'll meet up somewhere to go checking. I KNOW I have seen it somewhere in POP but can not remember which one.

Where are you situated on the north coast? Is POP convenient for you? ~ Grahame.

sicknote

Jun 9, 2009
I hope this can be of help to you,,,most freteriers have it on stock and there are 3 different grades,,,,,,,light galv,,,heavy galv,,,and plastic coated,,,,,,,depending on what you want,,,,,you might need to buy a full roll tho, ,,,,,,theres a good building maintenance guy from the UK also living here ,honest reliable and not too expensive, based in sosua email him on " toptobottom@fsmail.net " he does most jobs you might need

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
Probably easier to get someone in to do it - in the long run, you can spend a lot of time running round ferreterias looking for things a builder has no problem finding ,

Britcouple

Aug 13, 2009
Thanks for all the info guys, I will have a trip around your suggestions, we are near Cabarete so non of them are too far to go, We are trying to keep the dogs in but also let the view in so didn't really want to build a block wall, and the fencing will match up with other fencing we have, Once again many thanks and I will let you know how I get on!
Britcouple

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Thanks for all the info guys, I will have a trip around your suggestions, we are near Cabarete so non of them are too far to go, We are trying to keep the dogs in but also let the view in so didn't really want to build a block wall, and the fencing will match up with other fencing we have, Once again many thanks and I will let you know how I get on!
Britcouple

May I therefore suggest that you build a brick/block/stone wall to around 3/ 4ft high and then put the wire above that as we have done here.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
That's a good idea because dogs are great at getting under fencing!

And over, if you have a Rhodesian Ridgeback that can scale 12 ft. without even thinking about it!!!!!!!!!!!!! What he can't jump, he climbs with his long front claws acting as grappling hooks :cheeky:

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
malla cicl?nica....(galvanizada)

donP

Maya = central American native
Malla = screen / fence

This is the right name in spanish:

Verja ciclonica also verja ecologica

My uncle is an expert doing this but now he is in his apartment in West Palm Beach as he spend three months here in America and three month in the island he was the contractor who fence the Cibao airport.

I can talk to him if you need any help about this.

JJ

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Verja ciclonica maybe the correct term but malla ciclonica is the common term used here in Santiago.

OP, also a chain link fence should cost significantly less than a block wall.

I also have a friend who can give you a complete price to come install it at your house, just let me know.

Britcouple

Aug 13, 2009
Thanks

Hi Guys, many thanks to all of you, and I did manage to get some at Linares in Cabarete. I do have a small block wall a couple of courses deep with a concrete foundation so going under may be a problem for the dog....I hope!

Just for the record it cost RDS4800 for 50ft X 6ft galv fencing.

Britcouple