spearfishing sosua cabarete

flo

Apr 11, 2006
anyone interested in going spearfishing together around sosua cabaretE?

flo

Apr 11, 2006
i have been at encuentro and sosua beach, but have spotted some other potential sites, it is queit physically demanding and you need to be fit, i only have the gear for myself, if someone wants to go, please PM me by the way they sell good spearguns at playero sosua at a ok price.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
i have been at encuentro and sosua beach, but have spotted some other potential sites, it is queit physically demanding and you need to be fit, i only have the gear for myself, if someone wants to go, please PM me by the way they sell good spearguns at playero sosua at a ok price.

Oh, that kind. Sorry, I just had the picture of a kid glaring into the water, standing still with a spear in his hand... I've always wanted to try that.

... J-D.

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Oh, that kind. Sorry, I just had the picture of a kid glaring into the water, standing still with a spear in his hand...
wearing a loin cloth too? hahaha

Sounds like the OP is a serious pescador submarino....you freediving or SCUBA? What are the laws regarding what you can hunt?

It's gotten so bad in the Florida Keys we need a license for certain species....and almost too much of a hassle to bother anymore.

Sign me,
The Grouper Slayer,
Free shafting w/ a teak Sea Hornet 48" since 1977

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
wearing a loin cloth too? hahaha

Sounds like the OP is a serious pescador submarino....you freediving or SCUBA? What are the laws regarding what you can hunt?

It's gotten so bad in the Florida Keys we need a license for certain species....and almost too much of a hassle to bother anymore.

Sign me,
The Grouper Slayer,
Free shafting w/ a teak Sea Hornet 48" since 1977

Not even loin cloth at all actually :D

On early morning walks on the Malecon (ocean side avenue), I regularly see locals come out of the shallow waters with goggles, spear gun and some unlucky squid and fish hanging of a stick or on a rope.

Seems to be a normal thing to do.
People often fish of the Eastern tip of the natural port of Puerto Plata and can also be seen dropping lanes of bridges.
I doubt that there would be a legal issue, and if there was, it is obviously not being enforced.

There are some places, like Cayo Arena (peddled as "Paradise Island" and some other "natural" preserves, where fishing is posted as being prohibited.

... J-D.

flo

Apr 11, 2006
i try to only shoot what i cant eat myself, and i wont shoot any young fish either, there is no law enforcement at all, which has lead to a lot of overfishing on most of the north coast reefs including Sousa reef. a good Dominican fisherman can empty an entire reef of good fish in a very short time, education is a big issue, any eatable sea creature is killed and taken, no matter the size of it.

when spearfishing i only free dive, which makes the sport more challenge for me

XtremeCycles

Jan 27, 2010
Spear fishing is fun in Bermuda we have to go a mile offshore first because anything closer is illeagal but here you can go anywhere i wanna try myself looks like alot of fun i was snorkeling off the beach in playa laguna and saw a lionfish pretty fish but a nusciance

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Spear fishing is fun in Bermuda we have to go a mile offshore first because anything closer is illeagal but here you can go anywhere i wanna try myself looks like alot of fun i was snorkeling off the beach in playa laguna and saw a lionfish pretty fish but a nusciance

Shoulda dispatched that lionfish...they're an insurgent species from the Pacific (or people's fish tanks) to the Atlantic and Caribbean...they breed like rats and eat anything smaller than they are, thus eliminating a lot of juvenile fish...see it, enjoy it, kill it.

Fredo

Mar 17, 2013
Sosua is a marine park, no fishing allowed. For the rest you will have a hard time finding a fish to shoot.. check out these latest videos from Cabarete wrecks, you wont see a fish larger then 3 inch in them.
[video=youtube;ka0zOEkpp0k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka0zOEkpp0k[/video]

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
i try to only shoot what i cant eat myself, and i wont shoot any young fish either, there is no law enforcement at all, which has lead to a lot of overfishing on most of the north coast reefs including Sousa reef. a good Dominican fisherman can empty an entire reef of good fish in a very short time, education is a big issue, any eatable sea creature is killed and taken, no matter the size of it.

when spearfishing i only free dive, which makes the sport more challenge for me

My hat's off to you for watching how much you take and not taking small fish. I dive using tanks while "Hunting" but I don't use a spear gun. Just a fish spear. works good for me. I also only take what we eat. I also leave the Grouper alone and go after the yellowtail, red snapper, and Lionfish. The lionfish are tasty and are good to get off of the reef. Use a good pair of shears to remove the fins. Have Fun!