PUJ to Higuey by public transportation

travel1000

Jan 31, 2007
I check the air fare and There is always cheap fare to PUJ by US 3000 and arrive at 6:25 PM. I know it is cheap because there is no public transportation at that time. What is latest local gua gua near airport highway to Higuey or nearby local bus station? According some thread, there is bus to Higuey at friusa bus station around 24 hour. I think man should get out at about 7 pm without checked luggage. what is the chance to catch a employee bus to Higuey? Is there any motorcycle taxi hanging around in airport or near airport? Thus I can go the frius bus station. There is cabana by la punta which cost about 30$ according to some thread? Is the price is still same? My purpose is explore the possibility with this flight and by public transportation to reach Higuey or some other local town with cheap hotel and continue to boca chica next day. Please do not suggest 100$ cheap hotel in resort and 100$ bargain taxi. I always take gua gua and motorcycle and there is some nearby and I can reach anywhere in DR.

travel1000

Jan 31, 2007
ask MikeFisher "Parador Punta Cana" update info

Find out a old post from MikeFisher about Motel Parador Punta Cana, Mike, Do you have update info about this place and price?

"to the other poster who asked about the sme transportation but is arriving at 7PM , that's too late to catch any kind of public transportation in front of the airport, if i remember it right the last local public bus passing by there is around 6:00 or 6:30PM.
the nearest Motel from the airport to be in the morning right away on the route for the bus to higuey and then to St Dgo would be the "Parador Punta Cana", in the middle of Veron. right at their front door you could catch the public bus to higuey in the morning, no other cabby needed, 1st bus leaves 6AM, 35 minutes ride to Higuey, they drop you off right at the bus station where the Express bus to santo domingo leaves every full hour, the 1st one at 7AM, travel time from higuey to St Dgo is around 2 1/2 hrs.
have fun
Mike"

travel1000

Jan 31, 2007
i anser my own question

I arrived at puj at 12:30 pm. I have managed to find bus stop just outside entry of airport.The bus stop is not really very far if you know where is. but it is my first time in puj and found it after workaround a little. When first bus came, it was not going to higuey. I got on second bus after cobrador confirmed it is right bus. The bus arrived veron bus station and every one changed to another bus. I spoke with a passage who is airport employee. he said that the last bus from airport to veron is 4 pm and last bus from veron to higuey is 7 pm.after 4 pm, there is employee bus to higuey each hour. The airport to veron bus station is far way and is not walking distance. when the bus go through veron, i saw a lot of dominican style local hotel along the high way and i guess the rate should not beyond 1000 peso ( assuming without a/c and hot water ). The bus took about hour to higuey and it cost 100 peso. I changed bus to santo domingo in higuey and get off in boca chica and it cost 225 peso and it took about 2 hours. there is some local hotel near santo domingo direction bus stop in higuey and it should not be more than 1000 peso. the day before i return, i talk to a guaga cobrador about return transportation to puj. i was told first bus to san pedro de marcoise is 5 :30 am and i can change from there. my flight is 1 pm and i not sure how long it will take to puj.Thus I got to the highway bus stop on boca chica about after 5:30 am.a bus to la romana stop at about 6 am and cost 100 peso and took one hour. i change another bus in la romano to higuey and it took another hours and 90 peso. it took another bus from hyguey to puj and it cost 100 peso and it took a hour. and i arrived at puj at about 9 am.I arrived early for my flight. Thus it took me 3.5 hour from boca chica to puj including waiting and changing 2 buses. if you can speak basic spanish and are willing to take bus, you can enjoy puj lower air fare.