4G coming to DR (thanks to samsung)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I was just talking to a friend who is involved in marketing aspect of wireless telecommunication in this country. I was informed that from September 2010 we will be offered 4g service in DR. I am not aware of all the details of the new technology or the service offered in DR; as the conversation took place in a supermarket while we were crossing each other.
This is a good news and I am glad to have this technology in this country.
Could it mean we will be using HTC evo 4g mobile phone in this country soon?

in any case, here is an article in found on google search.

Wimax 4G M?vil En Rep?blica Dominicana de la mano de Wind Telecom y Samsung Electronics. Mira que vaina!

AZB

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I've had my iphone 3Gs from Orange almost a year now. When I bought it I asked them when the 3G would be available for it. The sales person in their main office in Calle del Sol in Santiago said it would be in a few weeks.

Well it's been nearly 52 weeks so far!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Looking at the link, it's 4G over WiMax, being rolled out by Wind Telecom.

To date, WiMax has very limited penetration in the market, with OneMax the major carrier. OneMax has a less than steller name.

I hear that Wind supply a bunch of call centers with bandwidth and that they appear to be reliable. Let's hope they continue to grow and offer a viable alternative to Codetel in the area of internet connectivity.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
WIND Telecom and Samsung Introduce Mobile WiMAX Service to the Caribbean Region
on Feb 03, 2010

WIND Telecom and Samsung Electronics sign contract to bring the Mobile WiMAX Service to Dominican Republic, 3Q 2010

Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic / SEOUL, Korea ? February 2, 2010 ? WIND Telecom S.A., a broadband internet and subscription TV service provider in the Dominican Republic, and Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., a leading provider of future mobile technology, jointly announced today that they signed a contract to build up the Mobile WiMAX network in Dominican Republic.

The Dominican Republic is recognized as a center of IT activity and progress in the Caribbean Region. Many global telecommunication companies have established a business hub in Dominican Republic, and the Dominican government is also concentrating on promoting the development of the IT industry.

WIND Telecom is one of the most innovative service providers which introduce new and convenient services in the Dominican Republic. WIND Telecom plans to provide Mobile WiMAX service from 3Q 2010 in two major cities of Dominican Republic, Santo Domingo, the capital city and Santiago, the second largest city. WIND Telecom plans to expand coverage to other cities across the country gradually. The initial installation and deployment network will begin in 2Q 2010.

For this, Samsung is providing a Mobile WiMAX total solution including Mobile WiMAX systems, terminals, training, and engineering services. Samsung?s Mobile WiMAX solution will allow subscribers to have access to a high-quality and high-speed broadband network.

Mr. Manuel E. Bonilla, the CEO of WIND Telecom, said ?We are very pleased to team up with Samsung for our Mobile WiMAX business and we are very confident of the time-to-market launch and successful business with Samsung?s technical leadership ?We believe that Mobile WiMAX is the most efficient 4G communication technology to satisfy the growing market needs like Broadband internet and VoIP in the Dominican Republic. Together with our current subscription TV services, we will also provide high quality Triple Play Service.? He added.

Mr. Woonsub Kim, Executive Vice President and Head of the Telecommunication Systems Business, Samsung Electronics, said ?We are very excited to work with WIND Telecom, a leading operator in the communication industry in the Dominican Republic. We expect that WIND Telecom will be another successful business case in Caribbean region and Samsung will make all efforts to make it together.? ?Mobile WiMAX will enable the Dominican people to experience new and richer mobile broadband service.? he added.

Mobile WiMAX is the only available technology welcomed by various types of service providers across the industry, from legacy fixed-line telecom operators and wireless service operators, to broadcasting, cable and internet service providers. Samsung is a prominent player in the Mobile WiMAX industry, providing its market-proven equipment to 26 Mobile WiMAX operators in 22 countries.

About WIND Telecom
WIND Telecom is a full service telecommunications provider in the Dominican Republic, currently serving internet and VoIP services to the corporate and government market segments through fiber optic and microwave links, and subscription TV services to both residential and corporate customers in the cities of Santo Domingo and Santiago. WIND Telecom also provides international traffic termination and connectivity services between the Dominican Republic and the rest of the world. It is the only operator with MMDS services which coupled with the proposed mobile WiMAX will offer high quality full wireless Triple Play Services to its customers. For more information, visit WIND Telecom.

About Samsung Electronics
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. is a global leader in semiconductor, telecommunication, digital media and digital convergence technologies with 2008 consolidated sales of US$96 billion. Employing approximately 164,600 people in 179 offices across 61 countries, the company consists of seven independently operated business units: Visual Display, Mobile Communications, Telecommunication Systems, Digital Appliances, IT Solutions, Semiconductor and LCD. Recognized as one of the fastest growing global brands, Samsung Electronics is a leading producer of digital TVs, memory chips, mobile phones and TFT-LCDs. For more information, please visit SAMSUNG United States - Main.

Source: WIND Telecom and Samsung Introduce Mobile WiMAX Service to the Caribbean Region SAMSUNG

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
I work with those equipments, Samsung RAS. While they are certainly capable to provide speeds up to 14Mbps to each subscriber the main problem in the DR is called backhaul, not only internally but to go out of the island, as you have to buy bandwidth from Codetel in order to provide Internet to your clients.

How Wind Telecom will be able to deliver 4-6Mbps wireless Internet connection if they don't have the Internet Backbone capacity to begin with. It is like having a 4 lane barrio streets and 2 lanes avenues and highways.