Not open for further replies.

RenatoSosua

Bronze
Nov 8, 2006
groups.yahoo.com
In Spanish

As? pienso que est? nuestro Sos?a
Autor: Roberto Henr?quez - Paterson, NJ, USA

Es lamentable lo que ha venido ocurriendo desde hace tiempo en nuestra querida Sos?a. Muy lamentable y adem?s penoso. ?Hasta cuando vamos a permitir que la violencia arrope totalmente nuestra sociedad? Hasta el punto que afecte nuestra forma y modo de vida. Todo por culpa de una plaga de forasteros delincuentes y del turismo sin calidad, que nada bueno ni positivo ha aportado a Sos?a. Al contrario a mi entender lo que ha arrastrado consigo a sido el ?xodo masivo de delincuentes, gentes que nosotros los sosuenses hemos adoptados como gentes nuestras.

Porque as? solo queda realmente el 20% de los nativos de Sos?a. Muy calurosos y serviciales, hasta el extremo de convertirse algunos en c?mplices de los que quieren perjudicarnos. Considero que es momento de unirnos y llegar a conclusiones, alejarnos de intereses ocultos. Sacrificarnos algunos para salvar a otros, y poder recuperar lo que todav?a queda de Sos?a.

source:Sosua Online

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
I am the first to admit that my Spanish reading comprehension needs work, but .... Is this guy suggesting that Tourism, amoung other things is hurting Sosua?

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
Yeah Windeguy. I read your post after mine posted.

Thanks guys, for helping me understand a little better.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
It's easy to be sitting in N.J. and complain about Sosua. I agree with his article but didn't read any mention about prostitutes. (I'm sure that's what he meant). As it is now, these "low life tourists" are the only thing we have. They stay in the NON all inclusive hotels, rent cars, eat in restaurants, several times with their (dates). The hookers in turn use that $$ to buy food and clothing for their family, hair salons, booze . cel. cards and I'm sure, unfortunatly so, drugs. Far from saying this is the best scenario for Sosua but what's plan B?

Reactions: AlaninDR and Berzin

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
As to the 'violence' in the thread title, correct me if I'm wrong but the recent fatalities/assaults we have heard about of resident expats in Sosua, have not been of people associated with prostitution, as far as I'm aware. Maybe the one in January was (that was a tourist not an expat), but not the last few so maybe we need to disentangle cause and effect a bit more? Like which issue is associated with which outcome?

Reactions: Chrismic

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
As to the 'violence' in the thread title, correct me if I'm wrong but the recent fatalities/assaults we have heard about of resident expats in Sosua, have not been of people associated with prostitution, as far as I'm aware. Maybe the one in January was (that was a tourist not an expat), but not the last few so maybe we need to disentangle cause and effect a bit more? Like which issue is associated with which outcome?

You are correct, we have a Canadian who cut and paste an article, by an author from New Joisey, and ad libbed a new title for shock effect.

Yes folks this is journalism!

Reactions: mike l

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
It has nothing to do with journalism. It is several peoples opinions on the conditions currently in Sosua.

Yes, we are certainly all entitled to our opinions.
What does the title have to do with the article may I ask Windy?
One day we will purge all the bad putas out of Sosua for you, and the world will be a safer place and drive up the value of your condo in Cab.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I see that some people like Sosua just the way it is. In response to your question: The article and the title both mention the violence in Sosua. I also understand there are people that will defend Sosua no matter what.

And I do not own a condo. Never have in the DR.

I must have gotten you confused with another windeguy that rents apartments in Cabarete?

I really have no agenda regarding Sosua, I am equally as tired of all of the crime "reported" in the area.

Actually we rent 3 apartments and not 2. We are NOT GUEST FRIENDLY that is why we do not allow "any dominican girls to stay with a gringo". We live on the same grounds as our rentals and my wife insists on this rule for safety reasons and I agree.

At the moment we have 4 sets of Dominican couples staying here for Semana Santa.
http://www.dr1.com/forums/845492-post16.html

Megoreilly

Oct 14, 2009
I have a solution............Cabarete!

Cabarete has some of the same issues, but on a lesser scale. It is focused on windsports so it attracts a healthy young international crowd, not interested in paying for a 15 year old local girl. Sosua is pretty dumpy in my opinion and I live in the area.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Re

You are correct. It is a sad reality without another plan.

Maybe in Sosua they could make the area where all the discos are a red light zone and prohibit those types of bars and discos in other areas. And then maybe encourage a more family oriented tourist area in another part of Sosua.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
I see the source for the confusion. Yes, we have a house with one apartment and another building with two apartments on our property that we rent to snowbirds, kite surfers and wind surfers. They are not part of a condo complex. Thank you for pointing out that we are not puta (aka guest) friendly again. It helps keep out the lowlifes.

Are you saying the Putas are lowlifes or the men who use their services?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I think you guys in Sosua might need to worry about the last statement by the author and what he really means by it.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Everyone knows the DR is a haven for all manner of international criminals-lowlives wanted for all types of crimes back in their home countries.

But the DR lets them in and allows them to thrive in the open air. Some of these characters have even achieved a level of notoriety as decent expats. Go figure. But the DR won't crack down on these cats because of the money they bring with them.

The typical ham-and-egger who goes to Sosua for a week to have fun with the chicas for the most part minds his own business and goes home. They usually don't kick up a fuss and on average probably spend more money that gets directly circulated within the local economy as Eddy pointed out.

The drugs are a Dominican problem. The prostitution and crime, again a Dominican problem. If the government lets these industries thrive, they are to blame.

We've seen many times how Dominican politicians and police are complicit in these activities and make money off of them.

The "low level" tourists in Sosua spend plenty of money that goes directly into the local economy, as opposed to those who stay in AI resorts where the money benefits very few Dominicans if any.

Last edited:

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Is that statement correct Spanish? Shouldn't it be:

60% de la cartera/recaudacion del producto interno bruto dominicano consiste de ingresos de divisas internacionales.

Yes chip you are right, is that I'm starting to think in English so now my Spanish is backwards...

haha

JJ

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
If the OP has property in Cabarete, why should people in Sosua worry about his comments?
Regards
Reidy

I am fairly sure The OP lives in Montreal, and enjoys his annual vacation to the violent crime ridden paradise called Sosua. I just changed my May trip to a gated All Inclusive after reading this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.