Good History Book

Chelleyyyyy

Apr 7, 2007
I'm on the hunt for some good history books about the Dominican Republic. I've been intrigued since hearing stories of Trujillo when he was President, and now today with seeing the current President in Sosua. I prefer real account stories. Any names of books, or places to look would be greatfully appreciated!

Thanks!

Vacara

I love AZB!
May 5, 2009
I'm on the hunt for some good history books about the Dominican Republic. I've been intrigued since hearing stories of Trujillo when he was President, and now today with seeing the current President in Sosua. I prefer real account stories. Any names of books, or places to look would be greatfully appreciated!

Thanks!

Santo Domingo: past and present ... - Google Books

Santo Domingo: a country with a future - Google Books

These two books are free on pdf format in those two links. Let me know if you need a free pdf reader. Keep in mind the author of the second book was on Trujillo's payroll.

Reactions: mike l

Chelleyyyyy

Apr 7, 2007
thank you! i have the book titles written down and i'm now on the hunt for them .. i'm looking to have them in my posession vs read them online, but again, thank youuu! :)

I came across a movie that might interest others .. looks interesting to me!

"In the Time of the Butterflies"

Plot (from the back cover)
On November 25, 1960, the bodies of three sisters were found near the bottom of a cliff on the north coast of the Dominican Republic. The official daily 'El Caribe' reports that it had been an accident, but it does not mention that a fourth sister lives. Nor does it mention the sisters' fierce opposition to the General Trujillo's dictatorship. This is their story: how Minerva started the tragedy by refusing Trujillo; how Patria became an opponent from the church itself; how Maria Teresa joined the revolution through the love. And how they lost their wings, but not their courage. They were Las Mariposas - "The Butterflies".

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
thank you! i have the book titles written down and i'm now on the hunt for them .. i'm looking to have them in my posession vs read them online, but again, thank youuu! :)

I came across a movie that might interest others .. looks interesting to me!

"In the Time of the Butterflies"

Plot (from the back cover)
On November 25, 1960, the bodies of three sisters were found near the bottom of a cliff on the north coast of the Dominican Republic. The official daily 'El Caribe' reports that it had been an accident, but it does not mention that a fourth sister lives. Nor does it mention the sisters' fierce opposition to the General Trujillo's dictatorship. This is their story: how Minerva started the tragedy by refusing Trujillo; how Patria became an opponent from the church itself; how Maria Teresa joined the revolution through the love. And how they lost their wings, but not their courage. They were Las Mariposas - "The Butterflies".

It was on telly last night.
Bit of a let down to be honest - they turned it into a chick movie.

And they should have carried on for another 6 months until the bastard got shot - that would have cheered it up a bit!

Reidy620

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
www.casaellie.com

Thanks!

Hola - Give this website a look at, loads of information about the history of the DR:-

Dominican Republic

Tropical Regards
Ian & Ellie
anpalmisl.gif

mb2

Mar 2, 2005
Here is my list of books in different areas that are definitely worth checking out:

On the Jews in Sousa, try Marion Kaplan's "Dominican Haven: The Jewish Refugee Settlement in Sosua"

For very early days and info on the Tainos, try either "Columbus's Outpost Among the Tainos" by Kathleen Deagan, which I think is superb, or "The Tainos: Rise and Decline of the People Who Greeted Columbus" by Irving Rouse, which is also terrific.

From a Foreign Policy perspective, the best of the bunch in my humble opinion is "The Dictator Next Door: The Good Neighbor Policy and the Trujillo Regime in the dominican Republic" by Eric Roorda, though this is definitely for those International Relations geeks, and might be a bit much for the general reader!

"Why The Cocks Fight" by Michele Wucker is a great book about the history of the Haitian and Dominican peoples and their troubled history.

My favorite about the American occupation is about the murder of a man, that's told by the man's nephew years after the fact when the nephew goes to the Dominican to investigate the murder, really well done and filled with lots of interesting facts about that time in the country's history. Its called "Dead Man In Paradise" by JB Mackinnon.

Finally, "Trujillo: The Death of the Dictator" by Bernard Diederich is a terrific read - a day by day account of the plot and assassination of Trujillo told from all perspectives. A great book, but probably hard to find as I believe its out of print.

And I would be remiss if I did not mention a brand new book that I just finished last night, "The Eastern Stars" by Mark Kurlansky, about the history of San Pedro Macarois, and how baseball changed that town from the days of sugar until today. One of the best books I've ever read about the Dominican, and recommended for everyone, whether you have any interest in baseball or not, I think all who love the Dominican Republic will enjoy this suberb book!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
HB with drink in hand:
I know Howard Wiorda and 'Vlentina Peguero. Both are deidcated investigators. Good stuff, I ti, too , will go and ge ttheir books next week!
For a general book, get Frank Moya Pons rather depressing book..it is in English and worth reading. Samuel Hazard's account of his trip around the island ia hilaroous for us who live here.
Also read Junot Diaz's "The brief Wonderous Life of Oscar Wao", a Pulitzer Prize winner.
It gives an interesting take on how Dominicans live and love.

HB

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Here's my favorite book on DR History:

"The Dominican People: A Documentary History"

Here's the amazon link:
Amazon.com: The Dominican People: A Documentary History (9781558762961): Ernesto Sagas, Orlando Inoa: Books
It is a collection of letters, journal entries, public speeches and proclamations, treaties, original laws, essays, etc, from their original texts.

Another favorite, not just on the DR, a much less academic read:

"The Last Voyage of Columbus: Being the Epic Tale of the Great Captain's Fourth Expedition, Including Accounts of Mutiny, Shipwreck, and Discovery"

amazon link:
Amazon.com: The Last Voyage of Columbus: Being the Epic Tale of the Great Captain's Fourth Expedition, Including Accounts of Mutiny, Shipwreck, and Discovery (9780316154567): Martin Dugard: Books

Reactions: Tamborista

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
And I got my guys mixed up: Thanks to too much Barbancourt Three Star!!
Howard Wiarda and Eric Roorda! Sorry, that was the rhum!
Wednesday to Books a Million to see what they have. Amazon is for sure.

HB

Chelleyyyyy

Apr 7, 2007
so many to look for and read. thanks for the days and days worth of reading lol :) alot of them sound really interesting! thanks a million everyone!!