Nice Quiet Restaurants in Puerto Plata (city)?

rimley

Oct 16, 2008
Any suggestions for a place to have a birthday celebration in Puerto Plata (city)?

I'm talking about a place that's nice for about 6 - 8 people. Steaks, seafood, chicken, etc. Candlelight. Soft music. Not on a busy street.

I went to a restaurant on the Malecon last year sometime, fits the description, but I cannot remember what it's called, and, I liked that place, but I want to go somewhere else.

This is a special birthday. Looking to spend a decent amount of money on food and drinks.

Thanks.

Reactions: mike l

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Cariatides, in the Doral Mall across from Playa Dorada heading into Puerta Plata.

Sit in the dining room on your left when you enter and you will have a lot of privacy. AC, and nice dining. I believe the Mall is called Doral, but I could be wrong. Anyway it is easy to find.

rimley

Oct 16, 2008
I think I'm looking more for something with a little bit of outside element, and definitely in the city for a more central location for all of the people coming. Any ideas?

rimley

Oct 16, 2008
What about La Parrillada on a Friday night? Is that just asking for trouble or is it pretty quiet around 8pm on a Friday night over there?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
very expensive:
the best restaurant in POP is actually in playa dorada in casa colonial hotel. main course is about 1000 pesos and the food and atmosphere are just fantastic.
there is also alef on luis ginebra - run by the chef who used to work in casa colonial. also great food but unfortunately close to one of the main streets.

normal prices:
la parillada is also close to the busiest intersection of the city, decent food.
las palmas in a house just off luis ginebra is nice too. italian with a good selection of seafood (seafood soup is just delicious).
stefany and nataly (if i remember the name right), just off the main road pass costambar: very nice food, quiet place.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
La Parillada opposite to the court house on the big East end roundabout, is by itself a "quiet restaurant in that they don't blast you with loud music but it certainly is exposed to the traffic on that main intersection.

There are two fairly recent restaurants on Luis Ginebra (going 1/2 mile West off the roundabout mentioned above):

Aleph on the South side of the avenue and a block thereafter a new Italian restaurant on the North side. I forgot the name of the Italian restaurant, but don't let their "Pizzeria" sign fool you! This place is in an old villa with a big garden, run by two real Italians, one running it and the other one cooking. They go way beyond Pizza and are very affordable.

The last one that comes to mind, is also owned by an Italian. I forgot it's name too, but if you go South off the roundabout mentioned, towards the Sea (Long Beach), you would take the FIRST street LEFT (West) and it will be on your South side. Very quiet, affordable, nice OPEN architecture, nice food!

... J-D.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Los Tres Cocos (aka as Mickey's) behind Stephanie & Natali's near Costambar would be perfect, its small, cozy, quiet, and has an outside element. Great food and atmosphere. Only problem is that the location is not POP central.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I forgot the name of the Italian restaurant, but don't let their "Pizzeria" sign fool you! This place is in an old villa with a big garden, run by two real Italians, one running it and the other one cooking. They go way beyond Pizza and are very affordable.

The last one that comes to mind, is also owned by an Italian. I forgot it's name too, but if you go South off the roundabout mentioned, towards the Sea (Long Beach), you would take the FIRST street LEFT (West) and it will be on your South side. Very quiet, affordable, nice OPEN architecture, nice food!
... J-D.

the first is the one i mentioned: las palmas.
the other is la tarappa and it is good indeed.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
a Belgian cook opened up a restaurant a couple of months ago, just on the outskirts of Sosua. He was a good cook in Belgium, and opened up a place here...

We met him on Sosua beach and he gave us a folder... then a big wave came along and....

According to him the place is quiet, fair local prices, and great Belgian, and Haitian food...

I can only vouch for his place in Belgium, but worth a go I would think...

Aug 21, 2007
a Belgian cook opened up a restaurant a couple of months ago, just on the outskirts of Sosua. He was a good cook in Belgium, and opened up a place here...

We met him on Sosua beach and he gave us a folder... then a big wave came along and....

According to him the place is quiet, fair local prices, and great Belgian, and Haitian food...

I can only vouch for his place in Belgium, but worth a go I would think...

No name or location of the restaurant? I would love to go, but I would be hard put to find it...."outskirts of Sosua, Belgian, quiet?"

Please provide more clues!!!

Lindsey

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I will look for the brochure tomorrow and let you know... Lindsay...

Right now I'm throwing some "Dominican" German bratwurst in the frying pan... and if I survive those, you will have your adress tomorrow...:bunny::bunny:

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
TARAPPAS ?? spelling ?? near Long Beach and the Justice building "Court House". People can take the guagua within walking distance.