2 missing donkeys :(

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
Hello...

Last night our two pet donkeys were either stolen or escaped (although they were tied up tightly) from a field in downtown Cabrera. I wanted to post something on the off chance that someone has seen them in this area. We purchased them in the hills above Abreu, so there is a chance they are heading that way also. And if stolen, they could be anywhere. I am not sure how to post photos, but I do have some if needed. There is one 18 month old female who is a brownish grey mix with a light greyish white nose... and then a smaller 5 or 6 month old male who is a darker brown and still quite furry. Their names are Abby and Winston. Please send me a PM or call me at 829 429 0193 if you see them!! Thanks so much!!!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Sorry to hear about the fugitive donkeys!

Posting photos:

First try photobucket.com, post the photos and then post the links here.

If that fails, PM me and I'll see what I can do.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I would interview the roadside businesses close to where they were tied up in the off chance they saw them. Same goes for the motoconchos. Offer a small reward too.

Reactions: mike l

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
We found them!!!! :) We asked around the whole town and eventually found people who had seen them at 7:30am... then 10:00am... then 11:00am.... then we found them in a sheep field about 2km from their field at 12:30pm. We're very happy to have them back! :) It turns out they had managed to get through their ropes... not stolen. And everyone in town was soooo helpful in helping us to find them, going out looking on their own, asking around, etc.

Reactions: mike l

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
We found them!!!! :) We asked around the whole town and eventually found people who had seen them at 7:30am... then 10:00am... then 11:00am.... then we found them in a sheep field about 2km from their field at 12:30pm. We're very happy to have them back! :) It turns out they had managed to get through their ropes... not stolen. And everyone in town was soooo helpful in helping us to find them, going out looking on their own, asking around, etc.

So pleased for you. Great that the local community helped so well in the search and good to know that they were not 'taken' but just went off for a little wander to pastures new!!!!

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Excellent news! I love Donkeys and the thought of your two in less than happy circumstances was very sad indeed.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
TravelHippo, great story with a happy outcome, splendid :). Could I suggest a little identifying flag on each donkey, in case it happens again? Maybe a Canadian flag & a Union Jack............? ;) ( to represent the nationalities of Travel Hippo & Mr. TravelHippo).

Mind you, by now I would imagine the whole town will recognise your donkeys.

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
Thanks so much for all your support!!

Lambada, that is a good idea! I think we will have to do something along those lines... although you are right, I think everyone will now know.. "Ohhh dear, those crazy gringos lost their donkeys again!!" ;)

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Si

Now THAT Ms. B is a good idea, except for the drunks, they eventually sober up and find their way back.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
And here I thought that maybe in light of Hipolito thinking of running again he was looking for an avatar, and had taken them.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
when do they start the donkey rides on the beach, my mother only let me go on one once because it stood on her foot- I was a deprived child

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
we had the same happening to one of our dogs... our 9 month old malinois jumped the fence and went off wandering... I tried calling her, and locating her with the jeep... no luck...

Then I met some of the guys who let their horses graze around our house, and rent them out during the weekend at La Confluencia... and told them about it... They know our dogs... and appreciate them... and with my hair-brained Spanish explained it was the amarillo one who was lost... They left their jobs at La Confluencia and raced off... and in a matter of half an hour they found Mojito and herded her back to our casa...

Honestly... they did not even wanted the reward, but I insisted... great guys and kids... a dialect which I do not understand a word of... but hearts of gold for animals...;)