AZB+Ipod touch 3rd generation = eternal love

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Folks, I think I have finally found a traveling pc which can fit into my pocket. Well, its not a pc at all, but rather, an apple Ipod touch 3rd generation. This little pocket toy was gifted to me by my brother in atlanta on my recent trip. I was not too keen on toys of such kind as I thought it was only used for listening music. I was quite content with my little chopo phone which includes a nice camera and 4 gb of sd memory to store music as well. Now this little gadget was not my game but I took it anyway because it was 3rd generation 64 gb ipod touch. As always, I tried to use it and quickly lost interest as the touch screen keypad was just not made for my fat fingers. As many people also know, I am also the chairman of the bored, so out of boredom, I started to read up on the little toy and played some more. As I got to learn new functions and use for the this little machine, my interest began to evolve to a higher level. Finally after 2 weeks of hard reading and practicing, I have finally made an iphone out of this gadget.
here are some apps that will change your life. Now I do not need my pc lugging around with me, this little toy does almost all I need to do while I am traveling.
Read up on the following:
Googlevoice+nimbuzz+gizmo5 (sip)+ipod touch = free incoming calls from usa or from anywhere in the world to your google voice number which in result calls my ipod (gizmo). You are also connected to msn messenger, skype , yahoo, google talk and even facebook chat all at once. You can even call people on voice chat on skype and google talk and the sound quality is excellent. I can make and receive calls on my ipod touch free to and from usa.
Icall app will let you call any number in usa free for 3 minutes. Then I tell them to call my google voice (atlanta) number and I receive a call right on my ipod; now I can talk for hours (free).
the wifi is good and connects without a hitch.
I have a translation program that can translate a language to almost all the famous languages (even criolle haitiano).
Surfing is a breeze and I can view almost any website.
Application for facebook works great and I can do almost all I can do on regular facebook on pc.
E mail is as easy as 123.
I can watch news channels like tv (example: aljazeera english on liveplayer).
Youtubes can be watched in smooth motion.
This device is excellent. I use it all over the city, where-ever I have free wifi.
This device will serve me perfectly on my trips.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
We will make an Apple Fanboy out of you yet.

Next step... iPad+3G :)

Yup, that is on my wish list. I have learned, never to buy the first generation of anything.
I will wait for ipad with 3g and a webcam.
AZB

Reactions: Bronxboy

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Yup, that is on my wish list. I have learned, never to buy the first generation of anything.
I will wait for ipad with 3g and a webcam.
AZB

I'm the same too. I believe we should have that by end of year.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Picture of ipod touch
slgpbc.jpg

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
I have one of these things siting in my room never touched the thing it was a gift as well. Mine is 16 GB will that make a big difference and how do U tell what GEN it is? can U make local call as well?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
All I know is that when I was in Haiti all the doctors had them and they were diagnosing patients and prescribing medicine and dosages with them.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
I think i will send down a barrel of them instead of the usual canned salmon.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
I know what you mean AZB...I have been hooked on mine for a while now. Can't live without it.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Here is a new little toy for the people who travel light.
I often take short mini-vacations and prefer simply to take long my music with me. I hate carrying my desktop small bose speakers and my laptop. I simply want to have something to chat with my friends and listen to my music in my hotel room. I started to take my small bose speakers and my cell phone with a built-in music player. But even then It was not easy to carry and set up.
Now I just saw this little gadget in the hands of a friend and wow. This little toy just made my traveling even more easier, especially when you connect it to ipod touch.
Its called the x-mini ll (2nd generation). A small golf ball sized speaker (with rechargeable batteries) that can connect to any cell phone with music playing capabilities, laptop or even ipods. This tiny thing plays music loud and in acceptable quality. I mean, its loud for a small room (example: hotel room) and the sound quality is great for it's size and shape. Don't expect desktop speaker sound quality and you will be impressed. One tiny speaker was loud enough to call attention of people from outside my room. I was told to turn it down. So imagine Ipod touch + x-mini speaker? Now I can check my e mails, chat with my friends and even receive calls via my ipod touch and now I can even watch movies with someone or just listen to music in my hotel room or simply in a room of the house.
Click at the link below. I have ordered 2 because you can daisy chain them to get twice as much sound.

XMI X-mini II Capsule Speaker – Review

Note: the webpage says: ladies gadget but in reality, it was originally designed for macho men like myself, the women have just copied it from us.
AZB

Feb 7, 2007
OK, Aftab, I'm lost.

An Ipod touch is a phone? Or should I say it's an ipod with internet access?

If so, you should be able to do google earth and maps, right?

At first I was lost as well... I thought Aftab put a picture of Iphone.

Looks like the Ipod and Iphone have exactly the same design, and looks like the difference is that Iphone can make phone calls... otherwise very little difference, looks like you can run the same apps on both devices and both devices have WIFI access.

Apple - iPhone - Tel?fono m?vil, iPod y dispositivo de acceso a Internet.
Apple - iPod touch - Msica, juegos, aplicaciones, y mucho ms, en un gran iPod.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
OK, Aftab, I'm lost.

JD, an Ipod touch is exactly the same as an IPhone without the phone. It has full internet access [wifi] and you can download all the same apps and music from ITunes. Comes with Safari browser. I read my e-mail, use Facebook, eBay, etc. with it.

My daughter has had an Iphone for years and it never interested me. I received an Ipod Touch in December and I am hooked - now I want an IPhone too.

Robert, I've been a PC girl for years, but my son bullied me into a Macbook about 2 years ago, and I'll never go back.

AE

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Rubio, Ipod touch 3rd gen. is slimmer than Iphone and no long term contrat involved nor any extra cost for internet. It's designed for wifi connection. Its like a tiny backup pc in case your own pc is left at home. The other day my girl wanted to go to movies. So I just stopped my car next to a apartment building a connected to a open wifi network. Typed in cine.com.do and found out exactly what movie was playing where and even read the review of the movie. I knew the prices of the cinema and timing of the movie. All done from the street.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
JD, an Ipod touch is exactly the same as an IPhone without the phone. It has full internet access [wifi] and you can download all the same apps and music from ITunes. Comes with Safari browser. I read my e-mail, use Facebook, eBay, etc. with it.

My daughter has had an Iphone for years and it never interested me. I received an Ipod Touch in December and I am hooked - now I want an IPhone too.

Robert, I've been a PC girl for years, but my son bullied me into a Macbook about 2 years ago, and I'll never go back.

AE

You know what? robert has turned me on to Mac as well. At least he has got me thinking. I check regularly craigslist to look for some deals on Imac etc. I will sit like a crocodile and wait for a deal to fall in my hands. The IPAD also look tempting but I will wait for the newer generation which is not simply a huge Ipod touch.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
OK, Aftab, I'm lost.

You can do the same as in Iphone except make calls like iphone. Now with some apps, you can make wifi calls to anywhere and receive calls from north american free with a virtual american number (free, example:sip+ ipkall.com).
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I see. Then the X-Mini Max II Capsule Speaker must be the third generation.

no its not, its different. They are stereo but resemble closer to the 1st generation. The x-mini ll (single speaker) still beats all the other models.
AZB

Ben

Feb 2, 2004
I too love my Ipod Touch. A couple of points that may interest potential buyers:

Differences from Iphone:
- As already stated, there is no phone capability. There is no built in microphone but you can plug in a phone headset (including mic) and use services like Skype mobile (of course, wifi is required).
- There is no camera

My biggest complaint is lack of support for Flash. Other posters mentioned they can use Facebook on Ipod, but did not mention most Facebook games require Flash. Also many video steaming sites use Flash. Youtube works on Ipod but Hulu and the U.S. TV network sites require Flash to view episodes. These sites are blocked in the D.R anyway, but it's an issue if you travel to the USA with your Ipod.

Ben

Reactions: Tamborista

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Update: I have just jailbroken my ipod touch 3rd generation with 3.1.2 firmware on it. This new jail break is actually designed for the 3.1.3 firmware but it worked on mine just perfectly. This new jailbreak program will also jail break your iphone 3gs (untethered). yes guys, the jailbreak is untethered, which means if you shut off your ipod/iphone, you don't have to jail break it again. I think this jailbreak also works on ipads.
the jailbreak is called "spirit" and even a monkey can do it in 30 seconds. the jailbreak is clean and painless. Now I have cydia intalled (by by itunes).
Apple is talking about the iphone 4.0 software which delivers multitasking to the units. This means we will be able to incorporate multitasking feature with the new update but the apps would have to be rewritten or upgraded so they would be able to multitask.
What a joke: the hackers are already doing multitasking on the jailbroken ipods/iphones without even rewriting the apps. The battery life is also conserved.
Now I am able to use full features of my google voice with gizmo (thanks for multitasking). Now my ipod is better than any iphone when I am in wifi zone. I have no contract with any cell company and all my calls are free to usa.
I am watching my favorite news channels (like TV) and my msn messenger / skype google talk/ facebook are all open and running in the background (thanks to multitalking and nimbuzz).
AZB