What do you call people from Dominica ?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
La gente de Dominica :cheeky:? I think I've heard the term 'dominicos' used.

Yesterday we had visitors who are expat residents in Dominica (& intend living in DR for part of the year) and I discovered that the superstition held here about not opening the fridge door after ironing for fear of pasmo is similarly held in Dominica.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
I know what they are called but...

In Spanish? Good question. Domin?canos?

I know it but I am sure if I post it the OP will be annoyed once again with my posts. It's not what you or Lambada suggested.

La gente de Dominica :cheeky:? I think I've heard the term 'dominicos' used.

Yesterday we had visitors who are expat residents in Dominica (& intend living in DR for part of the year) and I discovered that the superstition held here about not opening the fridge door after ironing for fear of pasmo is similarly held in Dominica.

That superstition is pretty much Caribbean meaning all over.

-MP.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
very interesting ...and very complicated lol, I get the feeling they dont refer to themselves that way in conversation

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
just out of interest !
......... why is it that a female Dominican called Dominica has her name pronounced after the 'Other' island (Domineeca) rather than The Dominican Republic pronunciation (Dominica)?

Further, why is Pronounced changed pronunciation & not kept at pronounciation? ;) :cheeky: :ermm: ~ Grahame.

Reactions: jrhartley

tiguerita

Jan 5, 2004
Dominicans (pronouced differently that Dominicans from DR more like Domeeneecans) and Caribs (native people I believe)