Food Costs

hahm74

May 7, 2007
How would you describe the cost of food in the DR? How much do basic items (bread, rice, chicken, etc) cost in the supermarket? How much does it cost to go out to eat in a regular (not high end) restaurant? Thanks for the help.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
The Supermarket, I find, generally more expensive than the local colmados for the basics. Bread , I buy packets of Pan Agua at 30 ps, 10 rolls. Most bread otherwise I don't buy because the sugar they put in it makes such a funny taste. Rice around 20ps a pound. chicken around 40ps a pound. We don't eat out much but you can have a one plate lunch fot 100ps or a typical Dominican meal of rice, beans and meat or fish, and salad for up to 250ps. A glass of juice varies from 20 to 60ps and a coffee from 4ps to 40ps. i hope this helps.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Eating out is cheaper than the USA in most places. Supermarket food is more expensive, unless its local produce.

Two suggestions:

Send a barrel of high quality canned goods from the USA (tuna/salmon etc), buy it on sale. It will be cheaper and better quality.

Buy a bread maker, most bread in the DR sucks.

And an ice cream maker!