2 - 3 days in Southwest - what should we do??

hahm74

May 7, 2007
My family is planning on spending a few days in the southwest. What are the 2 or 3 must sees in the area? I was thinking Lago Enriquillo and Isla Cabritos on one day. Not sure what else to do. We're not into cities at all - much more into eco tourism. Any suggestions??

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The Polo Magnetico, where cars appear to roll up hill.
Bahia de las Aguilas-nobody know how much longer it will be so pristine
There are some waterfalls in the area also
And if you can, get back into the cloud forests of Neiba.

I am sure others can add to this list better than I.

HB

ninapup

Sep 16, 2004
I love the Southwest

One memorable thing that we did several years ago was to go to Laguna Oviedo. There was a huge flock of flamingos there as well as other interesting birds. Bring your binoculars, camera and wear a hat. The sun was melting hot but the experience was magical. The Laguna is like a silver jewel in the right light, absolutely stunning.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Send tjmurray a PM, he work at DR1. He has just spent over a week in this area, going over it with a fine tooth comb.

hahm74

May 7, 2007
Laguna Oviedo

Thanks for the advice so far. I have checked out tjmurray's thread. Really appreciated the pictures. I was also interested in hearing more about Laguna Oviedo. My husband is into birds and I'm sure the kids would love to see the flamingos. Are the flamingos there year round? What is there to do at Laguna Oviedo? Is there a trail or path to walk? Boat tour? Do you just drive up, get out of the car, look around and leave? How much time would you spend there? an hour? half a day? 5 minutes?

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Thanks for the advice so far. I have checked out tjmurray's thread. Really appreciated the pictures. I was also interested in hearing more about Laguna Oviedo. My husband is into birds and I'm sure the kids would love to see the flamingos. Are the flamingos there year round? What is there to do at Laguna Oviedo? Is there a trail or path to walk? Boat tour? Do you just drive up, get out of the car, look around and leave? How much time would you spend there? an hour? half a day? 5 minutes?

Laguna Oviedo is definately worth a visit...it is on the way to Bahia de las Aguilas. (you should see the sign on the left to turn off). As to how much time...would depend on you. You mention your husbands keen interest in birds so you may want to take your time there.An hour tops I would say...not half a day though...but thats us. We did the drive-up, have a look, and leave a short time later thing. As I recall, we payed a nominal entrance fee (maybe ?RD$50) and there was an option to do a walking tour.
We got to see two women with their catch of the day.

Enjoy, you are in for a treat with all the beauty the SW beholds.

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
This is a peek at the info we will be putting on dr1 about the Southwest. I am also emailing you a pdf with pricing for tours of the Laguna. This is what I've written about the Laguna de Oviedo. If anyone sees any errors, please advise:

Located in the town of Oviedo, inside the Parque Nacional Jaragua, about 59 km southwest of Barahona is the scenic Laguna de Oviedo. Foreigners pay RD$100, Dominicans RD$50, at the park’s entrance run by the Sub-secretary of Protected Areas.

The 27 sq. km salt water lagoon exhibits 24 small islands where colonies of Rhinoceros and Ricord iguanas can be found, especially on the Cayo de las Iguanas (Iguana Key). Mangrove forests act as a haven for some 130 species of birds, making Laguna de Oviedo the country’s top destination for bird watchers. Visitors can admire the DR’s largest population of flamencos along with other species like the heron, roaseate spoonbills, white crowned pigeons and brown pelicans.

Boat tours are the best way to experience the lagoon and can be organized at the park’s office. A local tour guide association - Asociaci?n de Gu?as de la Naturaleza de Oviedo (AGUINAOVI) is in charge of any tour given at the lagoon. As most of their business comes from organized tours booked in advance, you may want to give the association a call before arrival to secure a guide. The association can be contacted at 809.889.7586 or the association’s president, Pablo F?liz at 829.889.7586 or via email at pablitofelizj2001@yahoo.es

Several tours are offered depending on the visitors interest: there is a flamenco walk by land or water, boat tours to several of the lagoon’s small islands to see friendly iguanas, trips to Las Caritas del Guanal, an archeological site of pre-hispanic Ta?no Indian art, a tour of the town of Oviedo with a stop at a freshwater pool and also an all-inclusive package.

The park’s office is tentatively open from 8am-3pm, although the guides are lenient with these hours. It is recommended to arrive in the morning if bird watching is your preference.

hahm74

May 7, 2007
Thanks for all the info. Very helpful. I had read on a different thread that if you go to Lago Enriquillo, there's no need to also visit Laguna Oviedo. Would you agree with this? We're thinking of driving down there anyways, because the drive down sounds great. Would like to stop at Villa Miriam or some other swimming holes on the way. We're not planning on going to Bahai de Las Aguilas. Not that it doesn't sound great, but we live in Antigua, where we claim to have 365 beaches, one for each day of the year(pretty sure that's not true, but that's what we tell the tourists). Either way, we get our fill of beaches at home.

Hoyo de Pelempito sounds great too. How long would it take to drive there from Barahona - it looks far. Would you drive by Laguna Oviedo on the way? We would have an SUV. Not sure if it will have 4WD. Could we make it to Hoyo de Pelempito in that? Also, we'll be spending about 10 days in Jarabacoa and then Valle Nuevo before coming to the southwest. So, would Hoyo de Pelempito be anticlimactic after that?

As far as Lago Enriquillo goes, we would like to take a boat tour. However, I've heard that it's hit or miss if the boat(s) will be operational or not. We don't really want to do a tour through a tour company however, since we'll have our own vehicle. Is there someone to call/contact a day in advance to see if there will be a boat available the day we're going to be there?

Thanks again for all the help!!

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Personally, I dont think there are really any parallels between Lago Enriquillo and Laguna Oviedo...I am happy we saw both. We did find activities at Lago Enriquillo limited and just went on foot down a small path to the lake for a different view. Maybe others here have better suggestions in that regard.

You will pass by Laguna Oviedo on the way to Hoyo de Pelempito. We didnt go there as time didnt permit unfortunately but as I understand, you should be ok with an SUV ( I guess provided there hasnt been a lot of rain just prior to alter the terrain).

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
TJ: Just to things:
1) They are ministries now, not secretariats
2) "Flamenco" is a dance, I think, not a bird, The birds are flamingos.

Kinda make a feller want to go and visit..

Thanks, great ideas.

HB

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
TJ: Just to things:
1) They are ministries now, not secretariats
2) "Flamenco" is a dance, I think, not a bird, The birds are flamingos.

Kinda make a feller want to go and visit..

Thanks, great ideas.

HB

Haha. Thanks for picking that up :)

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
Thanks for all the info. Very helpful. I had read on a different thread that if you go to Lago Enriquillo, there's no need to also visit Laguna Oviedo. Would you agree with this? We're thinking of driving down there anyways, because the drive down sounds great. Would like to stop at Villa Miriam or some other swimming holes on the way. We're not planning on going to Bahai de Las Aguilas. Not that it doesn't sound great, but we live in Antigua, where we claim to have 365 beaches, one for each day of the year(pretty sure that's not true, but that's what we tell the tourists). Either way, we get our fill of beaches at home.

Hoyo de Pelempito sounds great too. How long would it take to drive there from Barahona - it looks far. Would you drive by Laguna Oviedo on the way? We would have an SUV. Not sure if it will have 4WD. Could we make it to Hoyo de Pelempito in that? Also, we'll be spending about 10 days in Jarabacoa and then Valle Nuevo before coming to the southwest. So, would Hoyo de Pelempito be anticlimactic after that?

As far as Lago Enriquillo goes, we would like to take a boat tour. However, I've heard that it's hit or miss if the boat(s) will be operational or not. We don't really want to do a tour through a tour company however, since we'll have our own vehicle. Is there someone to call/contact a day in advance to see if there will be a boat available the day we're going to be there?

Thanks again for all the help!!

If you are going to visit the Laguna de Oviedo and you live in Antigua, I would stretch the trip a bit to the Hoyo de Pelempito. It's absolutely amazing how the vegetation and climate changes in the distance of only about 35 km from the main highway at the intersection with Cabo Rojo. The viewing platform is at a height of about 1,165 meters so it's cool up there. I'm sure a nice change from Antigua. This road is in good condition so no worries.

Cachote Cloud Forest is another one of these drastic changes in a short drive. Only an hour's drive up from the coast of La Ci?naga the temperature drops some 10-15 degrees midday. They have a community project with several caba?as and offer hikes on foot or on horseback to a waterfall on the cold R?o Cortico. You need a 4x4 vehicle to arrive.

This is the phone number for the guide's association at Lago Enriquillo 809.880.0871. If you need any specific info or contact numbers PM me. I'm finishing all this content now.

Last edited:

hahm74

May 7, 2007
How long will the drive take from Barahona to Laguna Oviedo? Then from there to Hoyo de Pelempito? Is this doable in a day?

Also, if I call the number for the guide's association at Lago Enriquillo will anyone speak English or should I ask my Spanish speaking friend to make the call for me? (I don't speak a word of Spanish.)

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Curmudgeonly Report

Yesterday we flew from POP to Barahona, drove to Enriquillo, took a couple of swims in the natural spring pools (balnearios), very refreshing, saw a few iguanas at Enriquillo, no flamingos and no alligators. Climbed a high ridge, promises from SECTUR, to see Taino caves, carvings, but most all totally bogus. I understood the locals trap the flamingos and sell them to the highest bidder.
The boats from the lakeside to the island are about RD$3,500 per person. Outrageous. They had their normal excuses. We didn't go in a boat, it wasn't worth it, believe me. Back to Barahona, eventually. Had lunch by the Malecon, very nice, then flew over Bahia de las Aguilas, to Pedernales, over Enriquillo, the other little lake, the mine in Barahona, an airstrip there (excellent condition), very nice one, some beautiful mesas where it looks like the sea once arrived many centuries ago. Lots of little streams and rivers feeding into 1 or 2 major rivers, but not so major rivers after all. I understand better why the whole area floods in heavy rains, it floods huge areas that are sea level, the lakes and rivers rise, there is no place else for it to go. The old sugar cane fields stretch forever. For that, you see lots of Haitian bateys, lots of poor folks. The feudal system lives. It is the poorest part of the country and I saw why. To drive would have been about 10 hours. We saw the trains from the sugar plantations originally built in 1922, the barrios named Batey #1-#6, then beyond. Was like a step back in time. Beautiful area, virgin in many places, beaches stretch for miles without one single shack, colmado or banca. I've never seen anyplace else in the country that, however remote, didn't have those two things.
Overall, it was impressive for it's dry, dilapidated, virgin uniqueness. I saw clearly why the drug drops happen there, as it is wide open territory, remote, no radar. We did a low fly-over near Azua, innocently, and sure enough, as I looked on, a small fishing boat came out from shore, immediately, hopeful, that this solo aircraft would be the one. An eye opener, but also not a surprise. It was a long, lovely day, really unique and educational. It is not even summer yet, and it is a very hot, dry area. Summers there must be brutal, but fortunately there are small large, cool oasis streams from the highlands feeding them. Probably my first and last time there, but definitely a unique area of the island. If one is looking for a remote Caribbean experience, this is it. I didn't get to visit any rivers, water falls, rafting or other unique areas offered, but I'm optimistic they are worthy of a visit.
This area has desert, mountains, streams, two lakes, virgin beaches, natural ponds, Taino history and history of economics pre-Trujlilo and up to today.
And the only actual train tracks I've actually seen functional in this country.

Should this be in Trip Report? Where ever, fine with me.

Reactions: ExtremeR