How to keep house cool

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
It's hot. Very hot with this humidity.
We are living in a mid sized house facing the sun in the morning and is one level (no second story as of yet).

What are you doing to keep the house cool?
I mentioned painting the roof white to my neighbour or putting a pool cover over the tinaco (wow at 1pm the water could boil an egg coming out of that thing-and trying to shower - wow).

Any ideas? What do you do?
(have a window a/c and will put it in however hate Edenorte and want to give them as little as possible)

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
There is special paint you can use to paint the outside and inside of your house. It reflects the light and keeps the heat out, reduces your A/C electrical bills. If I remember correctly it is not horrendously expensive and I believe Ochoa carries it in Santiago.

Do a google search as I cannot remember what it is called.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
You could also try that special film for glass windows and doors that cuts out a percentage of the heat, and awnings over the windows.
Are there any trees on that side of the house?

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Open all the windows and doors to get a cross breeze. Also, use a fan because they use less electricity than the a/c.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Open the house late at night and close it in the daytime.
Ceiling fans will do a good job.
Trees are a must.
white paint onthe roof
light colors inside.
Plus what others have said.

HB

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
"putting a pool cover over the tinaco (wow at 1pm the water could boil an egg coming out of that thing-and trying to shower - wow)"

I always wondered about this also...would it be good to cover the tinaco? Would it stay cooler?

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
The fastest way to cool down is with a six-pack of ice cold Presidente.....
And if this doesn't work at least you feel good.....
As far as the house, you won't care anymore...

arg1118

Mar 11, 2010
Hahahaha

The fastest way to cool down is with a six-pack of ice cold Presidente.....
And if this doesn't work at least you feel good.....
As far as the house, you won't care anymore...

Mi3rda que risa!!!:bunny:

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
No real trees to speak of but lots of plants - just too low.
Presidente and the fan are great ideas.
Might just do it the Canadian way and put tin foil on the windows for now.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
I would recommend foilage. Your roof is flat and unoccupied right? Why not put some potted plants up there(big ones). Its a concrete roof so weight is not an issue. You need something to dissipate the solar radiation being absorbed by the house. Reflective paints and drapes are good at that but expensive. Plants are natures shadow which also benefit from all that sunlight and rain in the rainy tropical season. You should look to position plants which reach the height of the windows around your house. They will inherently move toward the sunlight. So at its peak most of the direct heat will be directed to the plants and not at the house. Same factor on the roof. A little garden wouldnt hurt, plus it will be good for the environment re-introducing O2 into the atmosphere.
So trees, bushes, shrubs on the ground and large potted plants on the roof.

Humidity can only be reduced by drying the air or introducing velocity to it. Ceiling fans and window fans are your best option.

Covering the water tank isnt a bad idea, just do not drink that water if it hasnt been treated. A canvas cover(like a potato sack) would be good because it allows the water to breathe(reducing the growth of bacteria and fungus), reduce evaporation(keeping the tank full) and can keep the temperature lower(and saving your scalding skin).

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Some of the new houses in this area have like a chimney in the roof and they are really cool. The hot air all escapes through the chimney. They are square and sort of slopey so the rain does not come in. Not sure of the architectural description!!

matilda

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Thought about putting plants on the roof and is the best idea.
And the canvas is a great idea as well. Even thought of just leaning a board to block the most direct sun.

GALK

Mar 12, 2006
The paint I put on the roof of my place is called Llanco and is being sold in Ferreteria Americana in Sto. Domingo.
Llanco has about 5 different products at different costs.
The temperature has been reduced by approx. 5 degrees C.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I had a look online for tips for cooling a house without using aircon and found more or less the same advice that people have posted here.