Shipping from North Carolina to Santiago

seg527

Feb 27, 2010
I am moving to the DR in August. I may end up wanting to ship a box of stuff, mainly school supplies that I have been given. I would be shipping it from North Carolina, USA to Santiago.

I have done some searching for this topic, and found some information. It seems that EPS is many peoples favorite?

Basically, what is the best service to just get a box, maybe 10 lbs?, from NC to Santiago. And what about customs. My understanding is there are no customs for packages under $200. I could get/make an invoice for the supplies if necessary. What is the process like of setting up an account with there services?

Also, I was looking at Trans Express and it seems to be a service to order stuff online and get it in the DR. It seems to have a very turn around time as well. Can you create an account with them and instead of ordering goods and having them shipped to Miami can you just send a box of personal stuff to the Miami address for Trans Express and get it that way?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

TheHun

May 4, 2008
Just ship it by FedEx, DHL or UPS, so it won't get lost. Why would you go through all the trouble with a 10lbs package??? First ship it to a freight forwarder, than they will ship it to the DR for an average of US$ 2.50/lbs.
Just ship it to a friend in Santiago. Put an invoice in it for US$ 190.00 overall value, so customs won't give you any trouble.

It's easy to set up an account with TransExpress, I have one, however I will cancel it soon, because they are bringing me all kind of junk mail so they can charge my CC for $6-7 for each junk. Better to set up an account here in the DR with Vimenpac - the DR version of Transexpress - and pay cash whenever you pick up your things. This way they don't have direct access to your credit cards.

Will you move your household items also? I also moved from NC to Santiago and I can hook you up with the shipping company that we used.

The Hun

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Get in touch with "bachata", his name is Juan Jose (JayJay as he is known). He must know someone of theshippers that send boxes and barrels to the DR. Cost is about 75 or 90 dollars depending on where you are!! Door to door service.

talk to him first and then maybe think of shipping it by one of those companies...You'll save a bundle.

HB