Rent a desk with Internet, AC, Utils etc. (Santo Domingo)

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I'm trying to gauge the need and to see if their is a market.
I know they do it in the USA, but never seen it done here.

Ideally suited to internet based businesses or entrepreneurs that need a creative and like minded environment to work in. Plus they would tap into a huge knowledge base and list of contacts we have here at DR1. That in itself is worth a fortune!

It would include.

- Desk / Chair.
- High speed internet.
- Air Conditioning.
- Back up power.
- Utilities.
- Phone (local)
- VOIP (International).
- Kitchen.
- DR1 Brain Trust :)

Basically everything you need to start from day 1.

Pricing, no idea right now. Just trying to get an idea of the possibilities :)

PM me if your interested.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
I right now offer a similar service at my office in Bella Vista. The service is basic now but just 200 USD plus tax. I am planning to move to another office space later in the year which will have meeting rooms and conference room. The new office space will be more centrally located in the Business District of Santo Domingo.

http://dr1.com/rentals/property/P_348.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
i priced this in NYC, and these start at US$500/month

That's good to know, thanks.

Being able to tap into our (DR1) knowledge and contacts are invaluable.

John, personally I think US$200 is too cheap.

More food for thought...

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008

More food for thought...

The 200 USD plus tax is what I am offering now in Bella Vista. I will have other prices at the new office space in the Business District. Also it will be possible to rent a desk area for two people and with a parking, which is worth a lot in Santo Domingo. The clients who start here with me here at the office in Bella Vista at the low price can then move with me to the new facilities. I have three clients now and they will have an influence on how the new office space will be organized.

cuas

May 29, 2006
My brother is going back to DR/SD and he is planning the same thing.
Many years ago before the Juacalito was built, before internet he and a friend were offering that kind of service. It was in a building in that area. He is going back to do it again but he will be doing it with locals as before. If he did it long time ago it means the service exists.
Good luck.

Manzana

Jan 23, 2007
Bilingual Receptionist?

The US versions I'm aware of have a receptionist and phone answering service. The different No.'s can each be answered appropriately and calls are handled however you arrange it. There is a per call fee added to your bill. In the DR it would be especially useful if this was bilingual.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I think, shared offices are a great idea for this country.
On the other hand, they can tend to attract "shady" business' which come and go and in this country... "shady"... can have quite a meaning.

Just for an added reference, since NYC may not compare to the DR much:

We used to pay USD 260/month in Fort Lauderdale, FL (Sunrise & US1) for a small office (10'x10' unfurnished room) with a phone/internet line (but services NOT included). That was a couple of years ago.
The service included mail reception and access to 3 different size conference rooms. There was a "fancy" front desk and phone "receptionist" service was available as an add-on option (extra cost).

... J-D.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Back in 97 I was paying just shy of $1,000 USD per month in manhattan. Right above Madison square garden. Tiny office, no windows, no broadband back then, use of conference room and a common receptionist.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Back in 97 I was paying just shy of $1,000 USD per month in manhattan. Right above Madison square garden. Tiny office, no windows, no broadband back then, use of conference room and a common receptionist.

One Penn Plaza? I used to work on the 34th floor...

AE

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008

More food for thought...

I was, and now my colleague continually rents office space in a desireable location in a new building in San Jose Costa Rica.
They are seperated secure rooms approximately 160 sq.ft. can easily fit two large desks etc.
Includes a shared receptionists, boardroom use, internet, local phone, A/C, electricity,Parking.All in 150usd/month.
This said the 200/month is not underpriced in my opinion, although I do realize everything in SD should be more expensive than the rest of latin america--for some strange reason.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
This said the 200/month is not underpriced in my opinion, although I do realize everything in SD should be more expensive than the rest of latin america--for some strange reason.

When you take into account the cost of utilities, phone, internet etc, it's under priced.

Our big advantage is we bring something to the table that nobody else can.
Years of experience, a huge network of contacts that would take years and a considerable amount of $$$ to develop. That is worth a lot more to some people than their monthly fee for desk space.

The hard part is putting a value on that intangible. For some people it's worth thousands, as that's how much it will save them, others a lot less, if they are for example servicing other markets remotely.

Food for thought...

Reactions: cobraboy

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
When you take into account the cost of utilities, phone, internet etc, it's under priced.

Our big advantage is we bring something to the table that nobody else can.
Years of experience, a huge network of contacts that would take years and a considerable amount of $$$ to develop. That is worth a lot more to some people than their monthly fee for desk space.

The hard part is putting a value on that intangible. For some people it's worth thousands, as that's how much it will save them, others a lot less, if they are for example servicing other markets remotely.

Food for thought...
^^^Agree totally.

Folks serious about doing bidnez based in SDQ should jump at this opportunity!

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
In Belgium this kind of thing was also a huge success, and pricy if based in Antwerp or Brussels, but only if they added a number of extra services...

not only a receptionist (absolutely highly qualified... in Belgium at least fluent in 4 languages), but also a reception area where clients were received and served with coffee, etc...,

a conference-room is an absolute necessity...

convenient parking-spaces...

a superior taxi-service for customers arriving by plane...

a common kitchen (fridge, microwave, coffee-machine...)

and in some places... a fitness room...

The company who paid for my office around the year 2000 paid 1,000$ per month for the service... and this included the office (cc. 30m?...), the use of the receptionist, and reception area (including drinks), the use of the conference-room a number of times per month, 2 parking-spaces all time, and the use of a number of others when needed, the use of the kitchen and the fitness-room, and a certain number of copies per month... taxi-service, extra copies.... etc... where extra...

Additional were also the broadband-connection, phone, etc...

It worked great... and the price was right (and cheap) for the superior service and facilities you were receiving...

So, a great idea... if the service is right...

the ability to share high-quality copiers...

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
Business Center in Bella Vista and Gazcue

I right now offer a similar service at my office in Bella Vista. The service is basic now but just 200 USD plus tax. I am planning to move to another office space later in the year which will have meeting rooms and conference room. The new office space will be more centrally located in the Business District of Santo Domingo.

Santo Domingo : Dominican Republic Rentals : Office Space For Rent

We are are going to open an Executive Office service in the Central Business District of Santo Domingo later in the year. That will be with working stations for 1,2 or 3 people, meeting rooms, conference room, secure parking, voip phone, high speed internet, Bilingual secretary etc... But we have decided to keep the space in Bella Vista as a different type of option. As we have clients here already. We call that a Business Center. Boyter Island Business Center.It is mainly cubicles you can rent and there is a meeting area. Off course there is also high speed internet. We are looking into maybe opening a Boyter Island Business Center in the area of Gazcue. I think there are many foreigners and individual business people who may be interested in this type of service in Gazcue. It could also be in the Colonial Zone.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
We have now 3 clients at our current office at Boyter Island Business Center in Bella Vista. Who we hope will stay on long term. We have 2 workstation still vacant to rent out. At the price of 200 USD plus tax. Santo Domingo : Dominican Republic Rentals : Office Space For Rent The rest of the of the space is occupied by Boyter Island Real Estate.
We are still looking and working on setting up a more extensive service with larger workstations, conference room, meeting room and larger even closed office space incide the full commercial space. We still believe there is a market for this. And we have two international clients who are interested in the beginning of next year in this type of service. Both contacts came via our membership in the German Chamber of Commerce. We call our more extensive service Boyter Executive Offices.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
We continue to offer our service in Bella Vista of Rent a Desk. We are full now at our current space but we our hoping to espand in the same buliding and offer closed office cubicles and meeting rooms. We continue to work on improving the internet connection. This is a constant battle with the phone company Codetel. What we want to offer is a nice environment, comfortable, good for meetings with clients, good services, good coffee, and good internet so the SKYPE connection and VOIP works well. We are a Businees Center but also an Office Hotel where you can rent by the hour or week and just schedule for meetings. It all depends on the specific needs of our client.