First Timer Scuba - North Coast

Status
Not open for further replies.

halfpint

May 1, 2010
Hello, everyone,
I'm looking to try scuba diving on my upcoming vacation to the North Coast. I wonder if anyone has recommendations for any of the dive shops offering PADI certification. These are the ones I've found:

Dive Center Merlin
Northern Coast Diving
Hippocampo Diving Center
Dressel Divers
Diving School Diwa Dominicana

If there's one that you prefer that I might've missed, please recommend.

I am considering becoming certified but I am hesitant to purchase a complete certification package in case I don't enjoy it for some reason. I've written the above shops individually asking about the possibility of doing a beginner dive and going from there toward certification.

I'll be in the area for 5 days at least so I do have some time.

Other than that, if you have recommendations/advice for two women, student travelers coming to the area in mid May, I would love to hear them. We are hoping to spend some time at the beach but we would also like to explore the area (hikes, other outdoor activities) and eat great/interesting food.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
my experience with northern coast diving was a good one for someone that hasnt done it before and had trouble staying below the water,many extra weights needed lol

I must add the only other one on your list ive heard of is hippocampo

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
north coast diving

Hi HP,

I've been diving at the North Coast Sosua area since 2003.

Dove with Hippocampo, small but nice at the time in 2003

Since, I've been diving with North Coast Diving. Satisfactory diving experience.

However, I must say that the North Coast diving is a little underwhelming in terms of abundance and variety of sea-life. It's nice but not the best ever.

I found better diving in Cuba (Isla de los Pinos) and Red Sea spots.

bellakins

May 31, 2008
Time consuming

Certification with PADI usually takes at least three days. There are 4 mandatory open-water dives and a written test with book work. This would be
a lot to accomplish in a 5 day vacation. Also, the weather might not cooperate.

The diving on the south coast of the DR is better. Isla Catalina is beautiful.
From what I've seen and heard the north coast isn't so great, but I've heard
good things about Northcoast Divers in Sosua.

Scuba diving is a great sport, but it's not for everyone, And the conditions and
environment will vary dramatically. It is physically and mentally demanding.

If you want to spend a vacation getting certified, I'd go to St. Maarten. That's where I got re-certified last year (at Adventure Dive Center). And of course Cozumel, Mexico is top-notch.

Islander777

Sep 19, 2008
I have SCUBA dived throughout the Caribbean. The north coast of the DR was the worst in terms of visibility and life (or absence thereof). I heard about a fresh water cave dive somewhere towards Samana that was described as spectacular. The diving conditions in the DR are much better in the summer with less rain, and fewer storms.

I recommend the Turks and Caicos, Bonaire, Roatan Honduras all above the north coast of the DR for diving. The Cayman islands are also very well reputed.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
.....but shes already coming here and hasnt done it before so has nothing to compare it to- therefore Im sure she will enjoy the experience and will then be able to go onto exploring other places.

bakersindr

Jan 2, 2008
members.shaw.ca
As for the time frame for getting PADI certified, I talked to the guys at Northcoast Diving last time we were in Sosua and he told me he could get me set up to take all the written stuff on line ahead of time so that when we got down there all we would need to do would be the necessary dives and hands on training which would knock the time down to a few days.

bjwells535

May 5, 2010
First Time Scuba

Hi. I am a PADI certified instructor living in the Puerto Plata area. It is true that the diving is not the greatest, however, if you have never been diving you have nothing to compare it to. The first time divers I taught loved it. I would recommend that you do take the on line course before coming as it will cut your time in half. A PADI Open Water course usually takes 4 days including class time and pool work. If you do decide to take your Open Water in Sousa request - Coral Gardens as one of your dives. It is pretty and there are usually lots of colorful fish. You should be able to do an 'Introduction to Scuba' class to get the feel of diving before putting out big bucks for the course. You will do some pool work and then a dive. Good Luck and have fun.

halfpint

May 1, 2010
Thanks for the replies, everyone!

Given your feedback and that from the shops, I think I'll just try diving. Like some have said, I'm just looking to try as an activity before jumping into it fully.

Seems like the Discover Scuba Diving is probably the best option for me. Though if I love it, I'll definitely keep all of your recommendations in mind for future dive spots.

Status
Not open for further replies.