San Jose de las matas

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
Anybody know anything about San Jose de las Matas? I leave for the DR in a week or so, and I need to get out of Santo Domingo for a spell... There are Dominicans where I work, and they all , for some reason, come from San Jose de las Matas and Jarabacoa- all of them- and non are related..there must be 20 or soof them.. so either San Jose is really really bad or it is a secret waiting to be discovered- because to hear them talk about it, it's a paradise on earth but poor...... whatever the case I really want to find a place other than La Caleta and Santo Domingo where I can relax ,drink some beers- dance bachata with the locals and not fall into the same rut as I did in la Caleta- though I know history has a habit of repeating itself......maybe someone can suggest another spot- off the beaten track... I am not interested in the American resorts and all-inclusives- holds nothing for me...not the big cities of Santiago ( been there 6 times) Samana ( 3 times) bBaharona ( twice) - I need to be with the locals, in a small village/town - but don;t need them eyeing me as a prospective golden goose...I can be generous to a fault and I don;t mind so long as it is worthwhile....or is that a conescending attitude on my part.... I don;t it to be so...

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
My husband's cousins are from San Jose de las Matas - you'll definitely be around locals, not many tourists there, you may be the only one.

AE

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I have visited family there many, many times.
Some very large rolling hills.
Always seemed pretty quiet there to me.

Watch out for the electric pole crossing!
2ujmozp.jpg

Yes, that is a genuine picture taken in San Jose de las Martas by me!

Don

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I have visited family there many, many times.
Some very large rolling hills.
Always seemed pretty quiet there to me.

Watch out for the electric pole crossing!
2ujmozp.jpg

Yes, that is a genuine picture taken in San Jose de las Martas by me!

Don

Don, that photo belongs in the Funny Pics of DR category.:cheeky:

AE