pregnant employee

verano

Jan 7, 2010
Perhaps Mr. Guzman can clarify this for me...
We have a pregnant employee that we know we cannot fire, nor do we want to, but are we able to lower her salary? The reasoning has nothing to do with her pregnancy but work ethics.

verano

Jan 7, 2010
this employee is still under her 3 month probation. Does this make a difference?

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
The fact she is in her first 90 days has NO effect whatsoever. Once she is pregnant your hands are pretty much tied!

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Does that mean that the 90 probation period is null and void if the employee gets pregnant in that time frame.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Get rid of her now, but go through the labour office. Cross your Ts and dot your i's. Better to pay the price now that later when it's more expensive.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
You cannot get rid of her once she is pregnant without paying a great deal of money (relative). Even in the first 90 days she is PROTECTED. That is why many employers get a pregnancy test even though that also is not legal.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
That is correct and I would have to look it up. It is illegal. the only tests you can run are the one for illness effecting work in hotels, restaurants (hepatitis) and I believe for HIV.

Many places test for pregnancy by having a deal pre set up with the lab. Employees go in and give blood - men get one set and the women get a second including pregnancy. Results go directly to the company as the company pays for the tests.

cdnresident

Jan 7, 2010
Wow!!! what happen to employers promoting family value and community growth. The wages are so small to begin with, what is the problem.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
It is all relative. what may seem like very little money to you may seem like a great deal to a struggling owner of a small business. And it may be a great deal of money to the pregnant young lady!

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Very good JD!!!! Definately a mix up in countries. Family values my butt, this is the country of huge % of teen age pregnancies, huge % of men with multiple women, high incidence of aids etc etc......

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
That is correct and I would have to look it up. It is illegal. the only tests you can run are the one for illness effecting work in hotels, restaurants (hepatitis) and I believe for HIV.

Many places test for pregnancy by having a deal pre set up with the lab. Employees go in and give blood - men get one set and the women get a second including pregnancy. Results go directly to the company as the company pays for the tests.

I do not think this is illegal, please provide the law or some other reference/link as to why you think this.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
in the first place your standar female emplying work contracting should include the question "are you pregnant?".
if she answers Yes, don't give her the jobe like usual in other countries around the globe.
if she answers with a No and a month later you get the fact that she was you can send her home because she got the job under false provided details/facts.
if that's not your way to employ femalkes in your Biz and she is pregnant after what ever long or shor5t time period/practice period, pay her out as soon as possible to keep the price low, it will grow day by day. often the ladies work til 4 weeks before the happy birthday, but a paper from a well known doctor stating stuff about 'complications/risks' may lengthen those 4 weeks by a LOT.
if i remember right 3 months after the birth is usual to stayhome etc, again, some tricky doctors papers can lengthen such.
i am happy that all worlkers on the boats are Boys,
some bloody noses once in a while, nut none pregnant, yet, lol.
cheers
Mike

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
I do not think this is illegal, please provide the law or some other reference/link as to why you think this.

Sorry not had time to look for this but I promise you I will.

Mike I am pretty sure you do not know what you are talking about. I believe (will try to confirm) the penalty for firing a pregnant employee with or without cause is liquidation PLUS a 5 month penalty!

And hiring someone who says no I am not pregnant on an application - and then turns out to be pregnant - good luck proving that is fraud or false pretenses!!!

I have heard cases of women using other womens urine to prove they are or are not pregnant depending on what they want to do!

Games are played but believe me before you do ANYTHING you need the advice of a labor lawyer.