Fabric Stores in Santiago?

stevie_kixx

May 3, 2010
Hey everyone! No one I've met so far here seems to be able to give me a straight up answer to my question so I'm hoping maybe someone here can...

I'm new to the DR, living in the Sosua area and I've been on a mission to find a fabric store for the past couple of weeks. I had been told that there was one in POP but I was better off going to Santiago as there was a larger selection and better prices (makes sense). I've got the route to Santiago figured out...now what?? I keep hearing that there are lots of stores in the older part of Santiago, but as I've never been there before that doesn't mean a whole lot to me. Is there a certain store (or stores) that I should be looking for? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
There are many fabric stores in downtown Santiago, some are huge. Just go to calle del sol and walk around...checking out the side streets. the whole of downtown is not that big and the majority of stores are within one block of calle del sol. It is also a great day in itself, walking around the historic district.

mockingbird

Apr 3, 2007
My favorite one is called Multicentro San Salvador and is located on the street Bartalome a little way before Bellon.
When you come into Santiago on Carratera Duarte, turn right at Estralla Sadhala (there's a big Verizon/Codetel office to the right of that intersection).
Take that street (Sadhala) to Bartolome Colon and turn left (there's a large Hache to the right of that intersection)
Follow Bartolome for numerous blocks and watch for Multicentro on the left side of the street - it's a yellow + green sign. The main store has some material, but they have a gigantic warehouse at the back of the store which has better prices. The downside is it's a warehouse - with TONS of pallets stacked with bolts of fabric that seem to go on forever and can be somewhat overwhelming.

If you're looking for something specific, you might want to look inside the store first, where it's more expensive but is sorted by colours and content, ie cottons, linens, etc. In the warehouse it's best to get one of the men who work there to help you find what you need.

Good luck with your shopping.......have fun!

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I am looking for good shirt fabrics myself.
Let me know if you saw some. Most stores seem to specialize in draperies and upholstery materials.

I am also looking for an upper scale shirt maker in Santiago.
I am using Christian Lagares (ChaKaBana) in Santo Domingo with success, but would definitely like to try somebody who is closer (who makes the sindico Enrique Sued's shirts?).

... J-D.

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
Hidelisa in Puerto Plata is a large, very inexpensive fabric store. I would check there first before making the trip to Santiago. In Santiago, just off Calle del Sol you can find fabrics imported from spain and also many more upscale fabrics. I think one of the nicest was "Europa" - careful, it is closed from 12-2pm.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Balls>
You have la Epoca on Av. Metropolitana at thecorner of 11 street, across from Bon
You have La Opera on Sol Street, a humongeous selection of cloth
Youhave Salvador Sadhala--Now Multi-Centro..on Bartolom? Colon at the corner of Metropolitana.

All are very large stores and all have a good selection of cloths. A lot depends on what you want.

If you want something special, you might try Yapor Dumit's old place on Sol...They make you feel special as only a Lebanese merchant can...and the prices are good.

I do not buy a lot of materials, but when I do I go here.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
When I went by Salvador's on Bartolome the other day, FROM the street it looks like they may be splitting into three stores? The sides had newspaper on the windows. Looking in at the center section as I passed in the car, looked like it was now partitioned off from at least one of the two sides (Since I was driving, I could not look completely).

Is that what you meant by "Now Multi-Centro" HB?
Been a few months since I have actually been in there.

Don

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
it depends on what you're looking for - la opera has decent quality stuff for good prices, but if you're looking for something a little fancier, i like dumit. the lama store on calle de sol is good, too.

i've found that the stores that specialize in upholstery are horrible for any other type of fabric.

as far as men's dress shirts go, there's a specialty store that sells chacabanas in plaza jorge and their tailor is very good.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
try puerto plata before going to santiago. there is a small shop on calle beller, just after helados bon, first corner from central park. it looks like they sell mostly dust ;) but they have decently priced fabric. the owner opens as he pleases but generaly late mornings or early afternoons he is there.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
try puerto plata before going to santiago. there is a small shop on calle beller, just after helados bon, first corner from central park. it looks like they sell mostly dust ;) but they have decently priced fabric. the owner opens as he pleases but generaly late mornings or early afternoons he is there.

I was in there only a week ago. If you are not TOLD in a credible manner that it actually really IS there, one won't see it. It's exactly opposite to the entry of VIVA phones, just a door East of Helados BON.

It's a mess... a bazaar!
Again, it's mostly filled with outdated draperies. But they also have a lot of clothing fabrics... including "gabardinas". local men and women alike digging up materials.

For men, there seems to be more in there than at Torres (opposite). For women... I can't say, must depend on taste... a lot. But it seems to be cheaper.

HIDELISA and the "other" store East of EdeNorte on Beller specialize almost exclusively in draperies and upholstery fabrics.
... J-D.

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
Correction to my post. There is not a store in Santiago called "Europa" in Santiago. The sore I was thinking of is La Epoca. HB gives the location.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
Been there, done that.

DUBA CENTRO near the intersection of Duarte and Independencia Streets, downtown Santiago

My favorite one is called Multicentro San Salvador and is located on the street Bartalome a little way before Bellon.
When you come into Santiago on Carratera Duarte, turn right at Estralla Sadhala (there's a big Verizon/Codetel office to the right of that intersection).
Take that street (Sadhala) to Bartolome Colon and turn left (there's a large Hache to the right of that intersection)
Follow Bartolome for numerous blocks and watch for Multicentro on the left side of the street - it's a yellow + green sign. The main store has some material, but they have a gigantic warehouse at the back of the store which has better prices. The downside is it's a warehouse - with TONS of pallets stacked with bolts of fabric that seem to go on forever and can be somewhat overwhelming.

If you're looking for something specific, you might want to look inside the store first, where it's more expensive but is sorted by colours and content, ie cottons, linens, etc. In the warehouse it's best to get one of the men who work there to help you find what you need.

Good luck with your shopping.......have fun!

Balls>
You have la Epoca on Av. Metropolitana at thecorner of 11 street, across from Bon
You have La Opera on Sol Street, a humongeous selection of cloth
Youhave Salvador Sadhala--Now Multi-Centro..on Bartolom? Colon at the corner of Metropolitana.

All are very large stores and all have a good selection of cloths. A lot depends on what you want.

If you want something special, you might try Yapor Dumit's old place on Sol...They make you feel special as only a Lebanese merchant can...and the prices are good.

I do not buy a lot of materials, but when I do I go here.

Yesterday I had a few hours to kill in Santiago.
So, I went hunting for some fabrics for shirts.

• I looked up DUBA CENTRO, but only found it by accident on Batholome COLON, just opposite to the PN's regional direction, instead of Duarte & Independencia. That is the one shop I did NOT enter as it was clearly evident that they specialize in draperies and upholstery materials only.

• MULTI CENTRO / SAN SALVADOR is on Colon as described, just a couple of blocks away from DUBA CENTRO. For the lack of other words to describe it, it's a ZOO! Especially once you are invited to the warehouse in the back, which is much larger than the actual store in front and PACKED with layers of wildly bulked "stuff" as far as they eye reaches. Mostly again upholstery and drapery materials, colorful fabrics for the women plus threads on industrial spindles, bands and other accessories and some leather and hides upstairs. There is no way they will know what they have. No inventory possible without tearing the place down. The largest inventory I have seen in the whole frigging country! But little to know shirt fabrics for J-D.

• Hillbillys suggested LA EPOCA is just a few corners off B. Colon as described, opposite to a BON ice cream parlor. The building is modern, quite fancy. However, they clearly specialize in some draperies and maybe a few upholstery fabrics. There is very little on display. Hard to understand how they make a living.

• LA OPERA on calle del Sol... well, I knew that store, I had just never ventured upstairs. They have all sorts of materials ranging from draperies to clothing fabrics for both men and women. I bought a yellow shirt linen for 299 per yard.

• Hillbilly's insider tip, Yapor DUMIT's store a couple of blocks down from LA OPERA, was the one I had highest hopes for. It turned out somewhat of a mix of success and disappointment. Good ol' Yapor must be a friend of Hillbillies, because as for making me feel welcome, I must credit that to the local female staff working there. I found one fabric I had 3 yards cut out for a fraction of what I've seen similar fabrics offered in Santo Domingo. But upon asking Mr. DUMIT where I could have his fabric turned into a quality Chacabana (Dominican for a long sleeve Guayabera -Americans like to call it a "Mexican wedding shirt" :tired:), he whom I had the greatest hopes he would be able to direct me to a number of "insider" artist, did NOT know... one of "his" girls then knew "somebody" who might. I thought that for somebody being in that business in that country... oh well...
All in all, I got home with fabrics for 3 shirts, including one I bought in Santo Domingo the day earlier.
I must say, that the result is disconcerting when compared to how easy it was to buy fabrics and have them turned into something which could be shown of all around the world in countries like Ecuador and Columbia.
Again a sad reminder that in this country the are of MAKING things, manufacture, has long been lost.

Anyways, thanks for the addresses and pointers.

... J-D.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
I must say, that the result is disconcerting when compared to how easy it was to buy fabrics and have them turned into something which could be shown of all around the world in countries like Ecuador and Columbia.
Again a sad reminder that in this country the are of MAKING things, manufacture, has long been lost.

... J-D.

I think its because they dont believe what they make is fashionable ni desirable. The "good" stuff comes from NY or Europe. So whereas a Guayabera might be something interesting to make locally or export, what you get is "skinny jeans" high top tennis shoes and oversized baseball caps are what the stores stock and what the people think they want. The stores stock the fabrics based on the buyer/owners taste. The owner is 5 years past 100 so he still looking at passionfruit oranges and verdant greens as the color of the season(but in his mind its still 1955). You cant buy new stock until he sells the old stock. I d like to see these prints, I m in love with the 1970s so I d like to see what I could get and pimpify.