ONLY in DR (add yours to list)...

E

engineerfg

From my limited experiences in this country, I've observed that ONLY in the Dominican Republic (ODR):

ODR:
* A red traffic light is merely a 'suggestion' to stop.

ODR:
* cars made in 1982 are given a second chance.

ODR:
* a woman MUST visit a salon at least once a week to straighten her hair, no matter how little money she has!

ODR:
* a 1984 dodge omni can be transformed into an 8 passenger car publico.

ODR:
* used toilet paper is discarded into the garbage can instead of the toilet.

What have YOU observed ODR?

Reactions: Celt202

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Yes is maybe a no, and no is maybe a yes.
And when the word maybe is used....Forget about it.
Tomorrow,..... anytime in the next week.

Last edited:

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
only in the DR can you smile at people and they smile back instead of thinking you are weird

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
only in the Dr do you buy a fan and the next day it stops working so you take it back and there is no refunds

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
only in the DR can you talk to a small child without fear of being arrested

One trip we made was right after Halloween and we had scads of candy leftover so we threw it into ziplock bags in our suitcases. One day we were driving back from our house in the campo to the capital and came across a bunch of local kids walking home from school. We offered them a bag to share and before we knew it we had some local woman screaming at us from across the street that we were trying to kidnap the kids! My husband finally calmed her down, but she was still huffing and puffing as we drove away. Hindsight - it was stupid of us. But most everyone around there knows us, and we thought we were giving them a treat. Dumb, huh?

Be careful who you talk to jr, and don't be giving them any candy:ermm:

AE

Reactions: mike l

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
From my limited experiences in this country, I've observed that ONLY in the Dominican Republic (ODR):

ODR:
* A red traffic light is merely a 'suggestion' to stop.

Actually that rule applies in Boston too.

There's good stuff in your post and I hope this thread takes off.

only in the DR can you smile at people and they smile back instead of thinking you are weird

Even when you are. ;)

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
My ex coworker and now good friend Rick came to visit me last week, we had some beers and a cook out.
I pulled out side a mahogany rocking chair that my wife has in the living room make him more comfortable as he is still suffering of his back after years to have a disc surgery when he saw this he said.... Hey Juan are you trying to sell me something???
People is no use to be friendly treated here in America.:cheeky:

JJ

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I could go on for hours ..... only in the DR:

do you (and the vet) castrate your dog on the dining room table
can you buy one clove of garlic and one razor blade
do you dance in the supermarket
do you go out with rollers in your hair and think nothing of it
get congratulated when you burn the rice
buy your meat including fur hooves and heads
have hundreds of people visiting you when you are in hospital
put ground sugar and lime in your eyes when you have conjunctivitis

will have a break now!!!

matilda

Vacara

I love AZB!
May 5, 2009
My ex coworker and now good friend Rick came to visit me last week, we had some beers and a cook out.

Cook out and its Spanish similar (cocina'o) are pronounced the same. This could possible be the origin of that word.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Cook out and its Spanish similar (cocina'o) are pronounced the same. This could possible be the origin of that word.

I've tried saying "cook out" and "cocinado" right after each other but they don't sound a whole lot alike to me. At any rate I thought "cocinado" was self explanatory. BTW, everybody here says barbeque - maybe they are doing it for my benefit. :)

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
elaborate please

No doubt he is exaggerating, but I get his point.

When I go back to the States I honestly have to catch myself from smiling at little kids. I've honestly had some people look at me in a way as if I was doing something wrong.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
I pulled out side a mahogany rocking chair that my wife has in the living room make him more comfortable as he is still suffering of his back after years to have a disc surgery when he saw this he said.... Hey Juan are you trying to sell me something???
People is no use to be friendly treated here in America.:cheeky:

JJ

I saw this phenomena happens to me as well. I invited my co-workers and offered them the sun and the moon (as it is accustomed in the DR) and they were like blown away. You go to someones house here in the USA and you have to serve your beer yourself and find a spot to sit real fast before somebody else take it.