Security Concerns?

bullitt510

Apr 29, 2010
Hello everyone,I hope all are well. I am new to this site, and have been reading a lot of threads, several of them talk about how dangerous Sosua is, some of these are not current and some are, but they all raise some interesting questions.
I know the firearms laws in DR are difficult if not prohibitive to deal with,especially for an expat. Other than the option of a firearm, what can you carry with out breaking any laws. I also know that the "law" is open to interpretation and is for sale depending what officer you meet up with. I am no stranger to underdeveloped countries and the corruption that they breed. Several of the countries that I have lived in you just go out and buy a rifle and a dozen magazines, then when in doubt shoot it out. I understand that's not an option here nor should it be, I do not see the need.
I have been coming to the north coast since 1984 and it seems to me that it is a very peaceful place, and all but a few have been friendly and helpful,I have been on several day trips to other parts of the island and still no issues. I have now bought a place to live in Sosua with my (expat)girlfriend.
I know that the best defence in not being where the problem is, and if confronted with a possibly violent problem "run away" a la Monty python, sorry I had to throw that in. But ... if confronted and you cannot retreat or extricate yourself from the situation, my response would be to close on and neutralize the target to eliminate the threat, using only the necessary force to do so.
Here is the disclaimer, I just would like to know my options, and am in no way going to go out looking for trouble, how are knives or impact weapons looked upon. Is it a what they don't know wont hurt them scenario.
Thank you all for your time, I hope I didn't come across as a total cherry, but ignorance can only be over came with information.

calle13

May 2, 2009
You can buy legal a hand held stun gun (does not shoot the bullets). You must be in arms distance.

They sell it in any Santo Domingo gun store and are legal.

Reactions: TOOBER_SDQ

bullitt510

Apr 29, 2010
Thank you for your responses, I was just inquiring about what is legal or the laws governing carrying these items on your person , knives, OC, stun gun, etc. I'm sure being alert will take care of most situations. But you never know.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
I am going to set up a secret training camp and I will post the details when they are finalised!

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
secretkillermo128625276359566408.jpg

you seem to have managed quite well in the last 26 years of visiting - what was the question ?

Excactly what I was thinking, You have done well so far so stop worrying and start living your life in paradise. The only other advise I would give you now that you are living there is dont overtly flash money around and where flashy jewlery because then you would bring unwanted attention to yourself, other than that you should be fine.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
Excactly what I was thinking, You have done well so far so stop worrying and start living your life in paradise. The only other advise I would give you now that you are living there is dont overtly flash money around and where flashy jewlery because then you would bring unwanted attention to yourself, other than that you should be fine.

Exactly, fly below the radar!

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Really? :bunny:

Besides I dont need that. My Jedi Knight uniform came in the mail today WITH OFFICIAL LIGHT SABRE. Now all I need is 4 grams Chromolium to power the internal fusion reactor.
Where can I get that here? Maybe on the Malecon?

Reactions: Black Dog